Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
casting bilbo

trqn13
Bree

Mar 24 2013, 12:10pm

Post #1 of 16 (535 views)
Shortcut
casting bilbo Can't Post

I read that actors considered for Bilbo besides M Freeman were tobey maguire, david tennant, james mcavoy, daniel radcliffe and shia laBeouf. This must be wrong? radcliffe, maguire and probably la beouf can't possibly of been considered: they suck

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Mar 24 2013, 12:15pm

Post #2 of 16 (335 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness for Freeman, [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit would have been a disaster with any of these three guys. Besides, Freemam is perfect for Bilbo.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 12:22pm

Post #3 of 16 (301 views)
Shortcut
They never disclosed who was being considered for the role [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as i know. So treat everything you read as rumors.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 12:33pm

Post #4 of 16 (290 views)
Shortcut
Tobey Maguire sucks? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tobey Maguire is a fine actor (don't judge him on Spiderman alone-- see The Ice Storm, for one), and Daniel Radcliff did well enough as Harry Potter. But Shia LaBouf does indeed suck.

All those actors are either too young or too skinny, lthough i always thought James McAvoy would've been good. My personal casting choice was Sam Rockwell, and i never saw his name menioned. Not that i'd have chosen him over Freeman (i always loved the idea of him as Bilbo), i just thought he'd have made a fine Bilbo too-- he looks hobbity enough, and is a very funny, highly skilled actor.

The thing that's confusing about those Bilbo casting rumours is that, from what Martin Freeman (i'm assuming you weren't talking about Morgan Freeman) has been saying in interviews since the film came out, both GDT and PJ were intent from very early on that he was the one for the role. I guess they still had to go through all the casting motions to satisfy the studio.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Mar 24 2013, 12:39pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Mar 24 2013, 1:49pm

Post #5 of 16 (248 views)
Shortcut
David Tennant was "considered" for every role in the film [In reply to] Can't Post

wishfull thinking most likelly

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 1:56pm

Post #6 of 16 (255 views)
Shortcut
James McAvoy [In reply to] Can't Post

would have worked as well, imho.

Although now he looks more like a Turin to me... and would have been a great Frodo, I think.

I also don't see why any of those just "suck". However, all of them battle the image they got by playing major characters in enormous franchises. All of them, however, have still the chance to move beyond that. Although I hated Radcliffe's HP, he clearly has the acting skills and the talent to make his career last. Saw him on Broadway, and will argue strongely against anyone claiming he cannot act.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Mar 24 2013, 1:59pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 2:02pm

Post #7 of 16 (234 views)
Shortcut
I love David Tennant... [In reply to] Can't Post

he's tied as my favorite Doctor (with Tom Baker of course, though Tom might just edge him out ha ha), but he'd have made a terrible hobbit. Too tall and skinny and angular, and way too much energy. I think all the rumors were just fan speculation, and he was never really seriously considered for Bilbo. He'd make an good elf, though, and maybe with enough prosthetics and padding, a interesting dwarf.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Mar 24 2013, 2:06pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 2:08pm

Post #8 of 16 (221 views)
Shortcut
Actors [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't say any of them suck, I like some of those and others not so much but it's just my personal taste. Having said that, I'm really glad they picked Freeman. I think a more seasoned actor fit the bill here. Freeman is a skilled actor and is very good at the small things (the facial expressions, the hand gestures, etc) that really make this role perfect for him.

I'm sure McAvoy would have done a credible job. I'm glad in the end they picked Martin though because I think he was the perfect fit. Say what you want about PJ, I think he knows what he wants in terms of a cast and gets it spot on. This was no exception. Freeman's Bilbo is terrific.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Barrow-Wight
Lorien

Mar 24 2013, 3:06pm

Post #9 of 16 (198 views)
Shortcut
I shudder to think Of Shia As Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't buy Shia Lebouf as an action hero I grew up withhim on TheDisney Channels show "Even Stevens" so it was pretty bizarre to see him as Indiana Jones' son or even possibly the next Indy I'm not saying he sucks (I can't insult anyone actually not my nature) but he gets picked for roles that don't fit him very well. He does the same thing in every movie when threatened or scared "NO NO NO WAIT WAIT WAIT STOP!" could you imagine the riddle scene with Gollum?

glor
Rohan

Mar 24 2013, 3:41pm

Post #10 of 16 (197 views)
Shortcut
Rumours or, Rumour mill? [In reply to] Can't Post

Every big eagerly anticipated film has in the internet age, umpteen rumours surrounding the casting most of these rumours are nothing more than gossip, hearsay and speculation based on the flimsiest of evidence and good old fashioned coincidence.

Director flies to London for casting call and actor X flies into London the same week, the gossip and upcoming movie websites go ballistic with rumours because two people got off a plane in the same city within a week of each otherLaugh. That is how this stuff starts, it's ridiculous speculation with no basis in fact, to fill up these websites with 'news' and get them to pole position on search engines.

There is a flip side to this too. Film companies, directors and producers work in such secrecy for most big films and the proliferation of gossip and rumours means they sometimes deliberately mislead the gossip mongers and the public, by creating their own false rumours to get the title tattle hounds off of the scent, they also mislead in proper official interviews too.

TH has had more of it's fair share of speculation, misinformation and downright ridiculous casting rumours thanks mostly to the change in directors, which has opened a door to an imaginative constructed space where ordinary individuals and fans can create their own fantasy casting and believe it to have been a possibilty and quote the rumour mill as evidence that their imagined film could have become true and real.

Personally, as I have said in another thread, I would love PJ and Co to reveal what GDT had actually done on TH, whom if anyone had been cast or auditioned, designs for creatures and sets and even script.

(As a side note to that: I find it amusing that every bit of the AUJ script or plot that is derided or criticised is laid at Boyens door, when GDT was heavily involved in that part of the process, the only fact we know, and is still credited in the final film. Of course one could argue that once he had left Boyens could have altered the GDT parts if they were the offending parts but even still....)

(This post was edited by glor on Mar 24 2013, 3:43pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 4:08pm

Post #11 of 16 (182 views)
Shortcut
I've noticed that about Boyens, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

While i'm sure that GDT's role in the script was pretty minimal once he left the production and PJ took over the director's chair, it was still written by *three* people. And from what Boyens has said, she and Fran Walsh are full-time writing partners, and i'm sure nothing gets in without PJ's consent. So to blame Tauriel, or Azog, or Galadriel supposedly being Gandalf's "superior" on Boyens alone is ridiculous. I seriously doubt that anything makes it into the movie without Jackson, Walsh and Boyens all agreeing (maybe not 100%, but still consenting) that it should be there.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 4:44pm

Post #12 of 16 (168 views)
Shortcut
This is so true [In reply to] Can't Post

…of actors in general. If fairly average (IMHO) actors appear as you say below, and tend not to act very differently in the different things they appear in, they often are just those actors in the films, rather than the parts they are playing (if you get my drift).

Martin Freeman is a very fine actor who has managed to get beyond being typecast – a reflection of his ability.

In Reply To
However, all of them battle the image they got by playing major characters in enormous franchises.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 11:21pm

Post #13 of 16 (103 views)
Shortcut
Leo Di Caprio comes to mind as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... although it certainly helped that he had had quite some good roles before Titanic, it took a few years for him to get out of this corner again.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 11:29pm

Post #14 of 16 (103 views)
Shortcut
Not to my mind [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really glad they stuck to very good British actors.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 24 2013, 11:54pm

Post #15 of 16 (96 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you misunderstood... I wasn't proposing Leo Di Caprio for anything in LotR. I just meant that he is one of those who had to break out of a giant hype movie franchise to be taken as a serious actor again.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 25 2013, 12:18am

Post #16 of 16 (102 views)
Shortcut
Oops! Sorry, I did misunderstand. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see what you meant now.

Apologies.

In Reply To
I think you misunderstood... I wasn't proposing Leo Di Caprio for anything in LotR. I just meant that he is one of those who had to break out of a giant hype movie franchise to be taken as a serious actor again.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.