Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
female dwarves
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 3:37pm

Post #26 of 37 (238 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Some lovely concepts in that book (including three for principle dwarves I wish would have stuck.)

Had they gone the Annie Jones route (the most famous bearded lady of the Victorian era), I would not have minded because she looked very feminine and rather pretty in a few portraits. I understand how using this could easily backfire though (but it worked well for Selma Hayack in Cirque de Freak.)

I think the body builds were more masculine than anything whiskers-wise in the film. It makes perfect sense that you can clearly see the dwarf women are of their race. I would have liked a little more; I think it would have be nice to see a few dwarf ladies up close.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 3:49pm

Post #27 of 37 (234 views)
Shortcut
Hoping for more in EE [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I think the body builds were more masculine than anything whiskers-wise in the film. It makes perfect sense that you can clearly see the dwarf women are of their race. I would have liked a little more; I think it would have be nice to see a few dwarf ladies up close.

Two of the tracks on the soundtrack are Dwarven themes (15 and 16, Erebor and ..I think...Fathers of the Dwarves) so I am holding out hopes of seeing more interior and everyday shots in Erebor's history, which maybe will show us some Dwarven gals - maybe Dis, that would be lovely. I think the look they went with works wonderfully, still feminine but certainly not Elven, so a nice distinction and adds to Dwarven racial individuality.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 3:59pm

Post #28 of 37 (231 views)
Shortcut
Yes, more of Erebor in the EE please... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to see more of the ladies (including Dis - who must be lovely considering her sons) and dwarf culture as a whole.

Fingers crossed.

Smile

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 5:13pm

Post #29 of 37 (222 views)
Shortcut
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The fact that Tolkien doesn't say anywhere that female Dwarves don't have beards is enough evidence for me to believe they did have beards. Wink He's not one to gloss over those kind of details.

If he says all Dwarves have beards (not indicating gender), then I'm inclined to believe that all Dwarves (male and female) have beards.

I had that same issue with Elvish ears. For years I associated pointy ears with Santa's Little Helpers and maintained loudly that Middle Earth Elves never had pointy ears. I mean, Tolkien never said anything about ears, he said a lot about light in their eyes and such...
Tongue ...then WETA did those lovely Elves with... pointy ears. Shocked

Well...Tolkien never said...

Go outside and play...

imin
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 5:20pm

Post #30 of 37 (225 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien never said? :P [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lost Road (History of Middle-earth Volume V): The Etymologies, under LAS-(1) - (*lasse leaf): The Quendian ears were more pointed and leaf-shaped than (human).

As others have pointed out as well Tolkien also mentioned specifically female dwarves have beards.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 5:23pm

Post #31 of 37 (224 views)
Shortcut
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed that bit.

Or forgot it. Tongue

Selective memory.

I swear I've read some of HoME. Really.

derp...

Go outside and play...

imin
Valinor

Mar 23 2013, 5:27pm

Post #32 of 37 (222 views)
Shortcut
Well to be fair [In reply to] Can't Post

It is one little line so it's easy to miss! - just i remembered it from a very similar discussion on another forum a while ago, lol.

I think though if you don't imagine them with pointed ears then it doesn't really matter does it? Tongue

Plus it doesn't state they have pointed ears in either the hobbit or the lord of the rings - same for hobbit ears (though that is mentioned in his Letters - letter 27).

Smile

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 23 2013, 5:50pm

Post #33 of 37 (209 views)
Shortcut
Eight theatre viewings with NO laughter for this scene.// [In reply to] Can't Post

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 23 2013, 5:59pm

Post #34 of 37 (210 views)
Shortcut
Appearance includes the face and facial hair. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty hard to be so similar in appearance to the bearded maile Dwarves that outsiders have difficulty discerning the difference and not have a beard.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2013, 9:09pm

Post #35 of 37 (197 views)
Shortcut
I've never heard a giggle there [In reply to] Can't Post

in 17 viewings. In fact I don't think I've heard anything from the audience there: just pure silence.

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 24 2013, 7:56pm

Post #36 of 37 (143 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Na Vedui
Rohan

Mar 28 2013, 3:01am

Post #37 of 37 (159 views)
Shortcut
Beard theory [In reply to] Can't Post

This theory is absolutely *not* canon but it solved the Kili (and Ori and Fili) beard issue for meWink:

How about a moult? Some bird species moult before the breeding season into a brighter more attractive plumage, and it seems that the moult is driven by hormones. So...Baby dwarves start off with some fluffy or wispy facial hair - which they keep through childhood. Then during their teenage years (in Dwarf terms, that is), hormones rage, the old fluff goes and the adult beard gradually comes in. Fili is well on the way, with a fine moustache and a respectable small beard; Kili's lost his baby-beard and is getting bristly with his new one (oh hurry up, beard, says Kili); Ori still has his wispy childhood chin-beard but if Nori's hairiness is anything to go by, he will probably have a fine thick adult beard when it comes.

Howzat!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.