Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ was meant to be seen on Blu-Ray...Not in the cinema
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kirly
Lorien

Mar 23 2013, 4:12pm

Post #51 of 56 (320 views)
Shortcut
I loved it .. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the cinema but as I cannot own my own, I also enjoy it on my 55" television which,btw, is no where near large enough for all the detail in TH and LOTR.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 4:38pm

Post #52 of 56 (311 views)
Shortcut
I've got a related question... [In reply to] Can't Post

How do the LotR blu-rays hold up against the AUJ blu-ray? And for those who have noticed the new color grade/tint that PJ and Lesnie gave to Fellowship for it's EE blu-ray, how does that compare to AUJ?

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2013, 6:18pm

Post #53 of 56 (301 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely. [In reply to] Can't Post

While I stand by my love of the theater experience :), I will agree that the Blu-ray was much better when it came to the camera movements. There were so many times in the theater when I thought the motion was so much blurrier than usual. These shots look much better on Blu-ray.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 7:16pm

Post #54 of 56 (283 views)
Shortcut
Good... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad there are others that noticed this. I'm kind of astounded by the difference, and i'm so glad that that's improved.

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 8:50pm

Post #55 of 56 (287 views)
Shortcut
TTT and ROTK look pretty great to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

The tint in FOTR really bugs me, It makes some scenes look good, but it kind of drenches others and it's a bit overwhelming. Not to mention the fact that I can't think of any good reason it's just over the whole film.

AUJ looks significantly better on Blu-Ray...as far as resolution goes. I will just always prefer the way LOTR was lit, and shot. So yes, it's a given that AUJ has a far sharper picture, but I wouldn't really say thats a great thing in general. It's certainly impressive though

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2013, 8:58pm

Post #56 of 56 (333 views)
Shortcut
The color grading is very similar... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but because AUJ was in theaters with the same color scheme, it's less likely for anyone to take issue with it. FotR drew so much attention because it looked so different from it's original look.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.