Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"This key was given to me by your father". And a few other issues.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2013, 7:50pm

Post #26 of 33 (189 views)
Shortcut
Yes, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Still, their physical bodies were able to be destroyed, in the same manner as a mortal man's would. Even with the water there, a mortal man would not have survived that fall into the pit of Moria.

As for the dwarves, I'll admit that the Goblin-Town tumbles were kind of Bugs Bunny-esque. But dwarves ARE supposed to be the sturdiest of the races. I know, I know, I'm just making excuses. Wink

Really though, the cartooniness didn't bug me at all. There were other things that bugged me more about AUJ (like the changes to the history).

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 7:54pm

Post #27 of 33 (196 views)
Shortcut
Here is My 2 Cents [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarves are mountain dwellers. Tolkien even tells us that they can keep their heads in tunnels better than anyone else. I am not surprised that they could keep their footing in the goblin tunnels. And if these guys had been involved the War of Dwarves and Orcs (the last battle of which was Azanulbizar), then they would have had 5 years of experience fighting in goblin tunnels.
We saw throughout LOTR that goblins and orcs are particularly bad fighters. Even hobbits could kill them with relative ease. Boromir could have kept killing orcs all day without breaking a seat if Lurtz hadn't come along and shot him. In fact you get the idea in the books that orcs are not that hard to kill. It's just that there are so many of them they can overwhelm you.
As to the tree business, the eagles were in control. They were knocking the dwarves off the trees and picking them up in the air. And we know they can do this because this is exactly what happened in LOTR. When Gandalf jumps off of Orthanc he is not looking where he is going. Gwaihir makes it HIS business to catch Gandalf. Same thing here.

My 2 cents. It's worth at least half that.

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 9:24pm

Post #28 of 33 (193 views)
Shortcut
THIS 1000 times [In reply to] Can't Post

I really was never expecting PJ to go so nuts with the action sequences in AUJ. They are probably some of the worst ones I've seen in a movie recently.

PJ used all the wrong things to try and make the films tone lighter. Where whimsy, and wondrous awe could have been, we got slapstick, and video game action. At no point do I believe any of the characters are in any sort of real peril, and the dwarves being as acrobatic as elves is just ridiculous. Not to mention, a lot of the dwarves stunts weren't even done by the actors, they were just done by bad CGI doubles. I'm sorry, I'll try not to rant but this is one of my biggest problems with the film.

I think my jaw actually dropped when I first saw it with how horrible all that stuff was executed. I was thinking "I can't believe he is ACTUALLY doing it this way, and this badly".

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 10:15pm

Post #29 of 33 (179 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen King Kong? [In reply to] Can't Post

Over the top, bloatedness, are concepts that are very much engrained in jacksons DNA as a filmmaker.

Fellowship was a once in a lifetime achievement , that wont repeat itself.

But have you seen the down down to GT clip montage that someone made of the movie scene with the cartoon's song edited over it?

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 12:45am

Post #30 of 33 (154 views)
Shortcut
I didn't care for King Kong [In reply to] Can't Post

But it had to do with the story. I'm just not that much into the graphics detail and I guess a lot of that just isn't something I see for whatever reason. I didn't like the original story and Jackson's version did nothing for me and in fact I wanted to walk out 1/2 way through but didn't. I'm sure some liked it, but it wasn't for me for sure.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 12:51am

Post #31 of 33 (154 views)
Shortcut
Their bodies could be destroyed, but not nearly as easily as that of an ordinary human. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Elves were more durable, less easily slain by mischance etc, and Maiar in physical form doubtless more so. Aside from possible differences in their actual bodies, there power might also have protected them to an extent, as might an unseen, close to flesh forcefield. One might speculate all day on exactly how their supernatural powers protected their assumed forms, but in the end it can at least be said that they were able to defy some of the rules that would apply to normal humans, and their supernatural nature accounted for this.

In Reply To
Still, their physical bodies were able to be destroyed, in the same manner as a mortal man's would. Even with the water there, a mortal man would not have survived that fall into the pit of Moria.

As for the dwarves, I'll admit that the Goblin-Town tumbles were kind of Bugs Bunny-esque. But dwarves ARE supposed to be the sturdiest of the races. I know, I know, I'm just making excuses. Wink

Really though, the cartooniness didn't bug me at all. There were other things that bugged me more about AUJ (like the changes to the history).

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 24 2013, 12:53am

Post #32 of 33 (175 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
will open with an unknown character called Thrain, his quest, travels, and ultimately his capture. Ill bet money on it.

Gandalf will arrive at Dolguldur, james bond style, and kick Bolgs imcompetent jacksie and retrive the key from the maddened dwarf lord.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 3:17pm

Post #33 of 33 (179 views)
Shortcut
The story is just a [In reply to] Can't Post

simple adventure.

Jackson just filled it to the impossible with over long....everything! What should have been a 2 hour film became a 3 hour never ending theme park ride ...and i hear theres a an extended version Crazy

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.