Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
From Out of the Frying Pan to the Carrock

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Mar 21 2013, 11:36pm

Post #1 of 12 (992 views)
Shortcut
From Out of the Frying Pan to the Carrock Can't Post

So watching the movie for the first time on dvd, I noticed something which I'm surprised I didn't notice in my two theater viewings. After Bilbo gives his "You don't have a home" speech, the sun sets behind the mountains. When the eagles come and rescue the company it is nighttime. However, the very next scene shows the sun brightly shining with the eagles flying towards the Carrock. Based on how close the eagles are to the Carrock when they pick up the company, I feel as though it should still be in the middle of the night when they arrive on the Carrock. Is there a logical reason behind this seemingly quick change of time, or is this just to give us a visual spectacle of the beautifully rendered eagles flying both at night and in the morning?

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 11:52pm

Post #2 of 12 (517 views)
Shortcut
Not 100% on this, [In reply to] Can't Post

but didn't the eagles rescue the company just at or after sunset, and fly through the night to arrive at the carrock early the next morning? I'm going to watch it again here in a bit, i'll keep my eye on it...

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Mar 21 2013, 11:52pm

Post #3 of 12 (499 views)
Shortcut
Spectacle [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you mention it, "spectacle" is Jackson's main concern this time around. You're not going to be able to see the mountain at night. I never gave this any thought either, but it would seem that the visual is more important than the logic of the story. Also remember this may have been an effect of the new breaking point when it was changed from two to three movies. It's been said the Anger Hug at this point in the film, instead of the spider rescue, was also because of the new break.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Mar 21 2013, 11:55pm)

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 12:00am

Post #4 of 12 (528 views)
Shortcut
It is obvious [In reply to] Can't Post

to me that the eagles fly through the night.
There was an obvious transition there from the night rescue to the flight montage in the morning, mostly through music.
And if you really want to get nitpicky and blame PJ for spectacle over story...think about this...
The eagles could have taken the company to their eerie in the night, and then taken them to the carrock in the morning.

(This post was edited by Lindele on Mar 22 2013, 12:06am)

Flame of Udun
Rivendell

Mar 22 2013, 12:09am

Post #5 of 12 (479 views)
Shortcut
However... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they did land at the eerie for the night, I think Gandalf would've attended to Thorin there instead of waiting until the next day

"'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand. What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.''

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 2:32am

Post #6 of 12 (406 views)
Shortcut
Those poor dwarves! [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, Fili/Kili, Ori/Dori, and Bilbo and Gandalf get to ride on the top of the eagles. But several of them are carried off by their arms! That's a long time to be hanging under an eagle. I'm surprised they didn't lie down on top of the Carrock, screaming in pain.

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 3:05am

Post #7 of 12 (366 views)
Shortcut
Good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought of that. So I guess they flew through the night

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2013, 8:27am

Post #8 of 12 (325 views)
Shortcut
You didn't know [In reply to] Can't Post

that eagles fly in slow motion? I figure that explains why it takes all night to get to the Carrock. Plus, it's just after midsummer, so the nights are pretty darn short. And with Thorin descending from the flaming pine tree also in slow motion, real-time that probably lasted at least an hour or two. Throw in the implied bits that we don't see of dwarves running from orcs & wargs before they're brought to bay, and I figure the Carrock could be right next door and the eagles would still get there at sunrise.

Wink

Remember the Lighting of the Beacons scene in ROTK? The lighting went right through the night and on to the next morning. Without going into the details, clearly this is another case of the Middle Earth Time Warp Multiplication Factor: calculate the time required in Normal-earth, multiply by approximately 12, and that's how long it takes in Middle-earth.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 8:39am

Post #9 of 12 (301 views)
Shortcut
Yap... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... I think the part between leaving Goblintown and arriving at the Carrock is set in the same time universe as the beacons in RotK :D

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 10:28am

Post #10 of 12 (279 views)
Shortcut
arriving at Carrock [In reply to] Can't Post

and having the view to Erebor just works best in theaters when the sun is rising, simple explaination :-)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 7:20pm

Post #11 of 12 (174 views)
Shortcut
talonted [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I mean, Fili/Kili, Ori/Dori, and Bilbo and Gandalf get to ride on the top of the eagles. But several of them are carried off by their arms! That's a long time to be hanging under an eagle. I'm surprised they didn't lie down on top of the Carrock, screaming in pain.

eagles talons are capable of adjusting stuff in flight... even live, wriggling Dwarves... pretty sure they weren't dangling by their arms for hours...

Go outside and play...

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 7:32pm

Post #12 of 12 (227 views)
Shortcut
I Only Notice This Stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

when I don't care for a film. The previous thread on Thrain's key is pretty much about the same thing. It didn't bother me that Thorin didn't ask who Gandalf came by the key. And naturally I didn't notice the change from night to day in this scene. Also, I didn't think much about how long it would have taken Galadriel and Saruman to get to Rivendell. When I like a film I just accept these things and run with them. Although it is fun to try to make sense of the various inconsistencies.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.