Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit discussion
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 1:11am

Post #26 of 47 (299 views)
Shortcut
Cardboard!? Phooey! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am going to buy a card board Thorin - you know the ones they have at the cinema when the movie was out and i am going to auction it for you fine women of TORn so you can have and swoon over him to your hearts content - plus i would be a millionaire Tongue

Now go on and invent that ME Holodeck and offer that to us and you are set for LIFE my friend!!! LIFE!!!

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 1:17am

Post #27 of 47 (276 views)
Shortcut
I've been getting blu-rays for a couple of years now, [In reply to] Can't Post

ever since i got a PS3 (when my Xbox died... *sniff*). But i haven't gone crazy with it-- i only get my favorite movies on blu-ray... LotR, Blade Runner, the Alien movies, and anything that i like that the Criterion Collection puts out. But dvd is fine for tons of stuff, like a lot of the TV shows i have (stuff like Arrested Development or The Simpsons). But some shows look great on blu-ray, like Lost, BSG, Fringe- those all look great. I guess i'm saying when DVD first hit, i went crazy buying everything. This time around, i'm being a little more methodical, only upgrading on stuff that's really important to me, stuff that i know i'll watch again and again, or stuff that simply must look as good as possible.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 1:18am

Post #28 of 47 (268 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not nearly as good at getting my thoughts out as AO, Danielle, imin, etc but I appreciate my ramblings are enjoyed. Cool

Yeah, I loved being able last week to see it again and really loved it when my digibook from Wal-Mart arrived last Friday. I agree! Middle-earth in HD just looks so amazing. I'd own a HD tv and BR player for this alone.

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 1:24am

Post #29 of 47 (291 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like a good plan [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some things i have put off buying until i can buy the Blu-rays such as the BBC nature documentaries which from watching them in HD, i think it's almost offensive to go and get the DVD, haha.

Like you i think i would only get ones which i feel would benefit being in the HD format - stuff actually shot in HD or upgraded/digitally remastered - that is where it gets converted to HD is it or something else?

All i know is i have enough films to last a life time!

Oh and you watched Fringe - awesome - liked watching it as well :)

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 1:25am

Post #30 of 47 (270 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Best i have come up with so far is plane tickets to NZ? lol. Tongue

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 1:28am

Post #31 of 47 (279 views)
Shortcut
you would be! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's a great idea. Can you make sure it's, ummm, waterproof?? Just saying....

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 1:31am

Post #32 of 47 (272 views)
Shortcut
Get's out roll of laminate! [In reply to] Can't Post

Waterproof you say - check!

Though i don't think i want to know why you want it waterproof, lol.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 1:32am

Post #33 of 47 (268 views)
Shortcut
Umm [In reply to] Can't Post

Ummm well let's see. It might be raining. Yeah that' it.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 1:37am

Post #34 of 47 (267 views)
Shortcut
Makes me think of this [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i88dNmHy930

Could just imagine you walking around with 'him' and chatting, trying to stroke his hair, haha! Omg someone is gonna have to make this and post pics!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 1:39am

Post #35 of 47 (261 views)
Shortcut
Umm..yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ummm well let's see. It might be raining. Yeah that' it.

Riiight. Nudge nudge. Say no more.

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 1:42am

Post #36 of 47 (255 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

You know it girlfriend!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 1:44am

Post #37 of 47 (254 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

If I end up leading the line party at my theaters for DoS (which is highly likely) I am going to do this and I will send pictures. I will make the cardboard cutout, take it with me and have fans taking pictures with Thorin. I can just tell this is a moneymaker.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 2:42am

Post #38 of 47 (247 views)
Shortcut
Yes you can [In reply to] Can't Post

after the warg chase, in the cave, his cheeks are overly saturated in red while his prosthetic nose stands out, unfortunately , more yellowish andconsequently, obviously fake.

Vous commencez m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 2:49am

Post #39 of 47 (230 views)
Shortcut
That may be so [In reply to] Can't Post

which seems to indicate that TH is not yet at a point good enough for the super crispness and clearness of bluryas, if it deteriorates the image ...

In any case, my dvd version already has these issues and at the cinema they were there, so these were "movie characteristics", independently of the format.

Crispness and detail exposure is not something i am against, as long as it is competently done. Not the case of TH.

I really appreciate a HD version of properly photographed cinema or HD TV.

glor
Rohan

Mar 22 2013, 3:39am

Post #40 of 47 (240 views)
Shortcut
Techy nerd time [In reply to] Can't Post

Different display screens have different qualities depending on what they were originally designed for, it is the software driving tne picture processing that makes most commercially available displays (TV and computer etc) appear to be multi-purpose.

Plasma (not.used for.computer displays) and LED based LCD TVs, a recent high end entry to the.domestic TV market are obviously designed to be used.to watch TV.and.film.

LCD as used in most laptops and PC screens uses a different technology than those of Plasma and LED, the most importamt being the light used to create.the picture. LCDs were.developed.for.PCs at a time when realistic colour reproduction and natural tones were not important.

This still has an effect.on your viewing experience today. Most LCD screens look artificially bright(when using standard pc.settings) when watching any film, they also create a flatter picture with less depth of field.

So, in a nutshell adjust the screens colour settings and brightness and up the contrast, LCDs cannot reproduce.'true blacks'.

imin
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 4:17am

Post #41 of 47 (207 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for answering my query [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to explain a lot of what i was experiencing, will definitely change things up and see what looks best, thanks.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 8:15am

Post #42 of 47 (199 views)
Shortcut
I guess this is simply the new look that seperates people... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I was immediately sold on it, after being a bit afraid after seeing the LotR BluRay. Which looks cool and everything... but at least on my friends giant flat screen some CGI became really obvious and - dare I say it - bad.

I was happy to see that AUJ never looked bad to me at any point and did not have the typical 3D look in HFR, which I hated in so many other movies - the latest being Oz which was disgusting to look at imho and made me appreciate the look of AUJ even more.

Btw: Did you actually chose Jesus as your new Avatar? Asterix -> Radagast -> Jesus. What a career Wink

(This post was edited by Arannir on Mar 22 2013, 8:16am)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2013, 8:58am

Post #43 of 47 (190 views)
Shortcut
LOL, imin... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though unless you've got about 1500 of those, you should be ready for some SERIOUS squabbling. And I agree with Hammy -- laminate them. Best not to ask why, just trust us.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2013, 5:06am

Post #44 of 47 (132 views)
Shortcut
walking around [In reply to] Can't Post

This reminds me of a hilarious music video Wink

I tried posting a link but it isn't working for some reason so just look up "I got a brand new girlfriend official music video" on youtube. I believe the artist is Steve Holy.

I can see the Cardboard Thorin turning into something like this lol Tongue

Yes I am quite sure Imin that you would be a millionaire!

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Mar 23 2013, 5:15am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 23 2013, 1:25pm

Post #45 of 47 (123 views)
Shortcut
Lusitano you hit the nail on the proverbial head [In reply to] Can't Post

it looks like Disney-Shire. Its plastic and sanitized to within an inch of its life. LOTR looked real, TH looks like a film set or Disney mock up.
I also think that NZ looks more like NZ, by that I mean that the forest looks obviously tropical from the Southern Hemisphere rather than the look of LOTR which did not look like NZ but ME. TH reminds me of Legend of the Seeker.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Mar 23 2013, 1:30pm)

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 4:47pm

Post #46 of 47 (107 views)
Shortcut
So sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

i only just saw this! Sometime i forget where i post.

Legend of the seeker...haha saw some images on google, havent seen the series...

Yes, these things ar obvious and clear to everyone to see...

Plastic and sanitized...If i hit the nail on the proverbial head, you hit the orc with the arrow. Exactly. Plastic, too crispy, sanitized...it doesnt feel like the shire i fell in love with, at all.

There are some shots on TH which still contain some foilage and woods which have a distinct southern hemisphere feel rathe than nother european...but, since most of it is sets and cgi, they almost go unnoticed..

RangerLady23
Lorien

Mar 26 2013, 8:20pm

Post #47 of 47 (102 views)
Shortcut
Horses in CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how I know, I just kinda do. It seems to be a talent of mine somehow. My mother wonders the same thing. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.