Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Smaug's Look
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 21 2013, 10:06pm

Post #26 of 39 (286 views)
Shortcut
As Long As We Can See [In reply to] Can't Post

his jewel encrusted underbelly I will be happy. Remember that *SPOILER* Bard's arrow was forged by dwarf smiths from Under the Mountain. Possibly it has a spell on it for dragon-killing. If not maybe Gandalf will show up in time to put a spell on the arrow that will do the trick.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 10:27pm

Post #27 of 39 (291 views)
Shortcut
smaug's hide [In reply to] Can't Post

during the attack on dale, he seems quite orange-red..

when he awakens from slumber, he has sort of a blue-ish, green-ish cast, which could be anything from his skin reflecting the deep blues and greens inside the mountain's halls, or (if he's like reptiles), he has been in hibernation a while, so his body temperature is lower.

he'll be magnificent. i don't really have any doubt about that.

the reveal at the end of auj caused my spine to ripple with fear. that rumbling sound. the sheer mass. and that fierce, cruel, intelligent eye opening right upon the audience.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Mar 21 2013, 10:30pm

Post #28 of 39 (271 views)
Shortcut
I thought this too [In reply to] Can't Post

As if his inner "furnace" is heating up as he wakes.

I've only seen the film once, but to me his legs had a kind of monitor lizard/alligator out of water quality as he walked through Erebor.

Yes, my username is terrible.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 11:13pm

Post #29 of 39 (243 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, i got the alligator thing as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Mar 21 2013, 11:14pm

Post #30 of 39 (239 views)
Shortcut
Good idea about heating up [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ & Co always do good monsters, I am 99.99999999999999999999999% certain movie Smaug will be "MAGNIFICENT"

Nightwing
Bree

Mar 21 2013, 11:58pm

Post #31 of 39 (243 views)
Shortcut
He better be red [In reply to] Can't Post

That is all I have to say.

Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh can't write, and Galadriel is not the most powerful being in all of Middle-earth. She is inferior to Sauron, Saruman, and Gandalf.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 12:43am

Post #32 of 39 (232 views)
Shortcut
He will be [In reply to] Can't Post

He'll be red and dead!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 1:08am

Post #33 of 39 (217 views)
Shortcut
That's a good dragon.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 22 2013, 7:55am

Post #34 of 39 (200 views)
Shortcut
According to your signature you might safe yourself the pain and not watch the movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 5:43pm

Post #35 of 39 (173 views)
Shortcut
About two hundred IF the rest of his body, snout to rump, is roughly the length of [In reply to] Can't Post

his tail, which is over a hundred feet if you juxtapose it to the surroundings. He would need to be at least about 200 feet, since the full length of the sinuous fell beasts was rumoured to be between 75 to 100 at full extent.

In Reply To
in that shot of him going through the door to Erebor, he's gotta be more than 100 feet long head to tail.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Mar 22 2013, 5:44pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 11:28pm

Post #36 of 39 (127 views)
Shortcut
If he is 200' long, [In reply to] Can't Post

that would make him roughly the same lenth as the Concorde, and almost as big as a 747. Though i still doubt he'll be that huge. That just seems *too* big to me, at least in film terms. He does still need to interact with Bilbo. He needs to be mighty and impressive, yet still relatable. If he's too huge, the audience won't be able to connect to him as a character i fear.

ByThorinsBeard
Rohan

Mar 23 2013, 4:03pm

Post #37 of 39 (113 views)
Shortcut
Nice idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your warm up concept.

So far, I love his design.

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere." - Albert Einstein.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 5:45pm

Post #38 of 39 (117 views)
Shortcut
I do wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

If we will see Bilbo and Smaug in the same frame (I hope so) for a comparison. You are right it certainly is a challenge the bigger they make him. That is going to be a tough shot to have them in the same frame as far as positioning.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Gandy
Bree

Mar 23 2013, 11:08pm

Post #39 of 39 (152 views)
Shortcut
Old penny [In reply to] Can't Post

In the final shot he has the color of old copper with the green patina. Would be a great design choice if he distinctly turns an angry red as he is charging up a shot of fire. Only when he's relaxed is he the aged copper. As long as it isn't an aura of red but his scales actually changing like a chameleon flowing with flame I'll be happy. Hope he is very red. I don't think I've every seen red dragons in live action movies. They always go for brown and black. Vibrant red would be unique and memorable.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.