Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Just watched my Hobbit DVD
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 1:02am

Post #26 of 45 (436 views)
Shortcut
Just got mine too [In reply to] Can't Post

I will probably watch it this weekend. Like you, I have the DVD version, I do not have a Blu-Ray.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 1:04am

Post #27 of 45 (424 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean swordwhale [In reply to] Can't Post

That electronic stuff gets way too expensive, and money sometimes has to be spent on other things. Sometimes I think it's more about greed than process.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 22 2013, 1:08am

Post #28 of 45 (429 views)
Shortcut
I hear ya! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't afford to keep up with all of it even if I wanted to. Dashing to your friend's house for a blu-ray fix does dampen it a bit... but I'll bet your friend loves the visits with such cool stuff!

Good luck on the van hunt!!

3rd draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated for DVD release!!!

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 3:11am

Post #29 of 45 (433 views)
Shortcut
I just watched the prologue [In reply to] Can't Post

In 3D on a 65" plasma tv with 5.1 klipsch sound and was blown away. It was my 8th time seeing it but by far the best. The 3D on my tv was far superior to what I saw in the theater, and the sound made the theater experiences seem like a joke. I'm quite surprised, as I've never been a fan of home theater 3D.
The high refresh rate was a nice balance and not as extreme as the 48fps, wow.
I am so happy with this Blu-ray. Just goes to show you can't trust theaters. The quality just isn't there.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 4:01am

Post #30 of 45 (411 views)
Shortcut
...and they get to keep the blu-ray... [In reply to] Can't Post

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2013, 4:16am

Post #31 of 45 (412 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering if I could get a blu-ray that hooked into my pretty good computer... [In reply to] Can't Post

Go outside and play...

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 22 2013, 11:42pm

Post #32 of 45 (438 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone watched the DVD all the way to the end--past the credits? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 22 2013, 11:46pm

Post #33 of 45 (408 views)
Shortcut
Not yet [In reply to] Can't Post

though I want to review the credits tonight ... is there something good?

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 23 2013, 12:09am

Post #34 of 45 (414 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's say interesting. At least it's on the regular DVD (not BluRay).

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 12:19am

Post #35 of 45 (409 views)
Shortcut
You intrigue me, Argalen! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in Rivendell now, will let it play all the way with your hint...I wanted to review the credits tonight to see if they credit that child in Dale and if so, how. Will make sure to go all the way.....!
(rubbing hands) love mysteries!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 1:51am

Post #36 of 45 (396 views)
Shortcut
Ok, can't find my child credited... [In reply to] Can't Post

But on the DVD I see the interesting PSA - SPJ blowing things up again I see! (It isn't on the BluRay, BTW) I doubt I would have seen it without the hint...usually stop earlier than that. That might explain why some of the fellas were talking about bungee jumping last night and trying to rope me in to do sedation.....!

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 23 2013, 1:59am

Post #37 of 45 (403 views)
Shortcut
That's too bad [In reply to] Can't Post

about not finding the credit Frown And yes, what I saw had to do with bungee jumping, indeed!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 2:31am

Post #38 of 45 (396 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I just have a weird feeling about that child [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I think kits a boy, not a girl, and it looks like he/she is leaning on a bow
2. The doll looks like an archer with a cape

So I wonder if it's someone we will see later on. My first thought was "That's Bard!" but unless he's suddenly Numenorean the aging wouldn't be right. So I will just have to bide my time and see if it's anyone or just a nice reaction shot! Smile

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 24 2013, 5:03am

Post #39 of 45 (373 views)
Shortcut
Blu-Ray vs DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the Blu-Ray combo pack from WalMart that includes the Blu-Ray, the regular DVD and the Special Features disc (also in Blu-Ray). I watched both versions, and for me the DVD was unwatchable. I don't know if this is a problem with my particular DVD, but the Blu-ray disc was great, and usually I can play regular DVDs on my player and it usually improves the quality of the picture. Not so in this case. When I put it in, from the very start the colors were way off compared to the Blu-Ray disc, and it seemed blurry to me, so I immediately took it out. Did anyone else have this experience? I'm unhappy because I wanted the DVD as well, since I could play it in other places where they don't have a Blu-Ray player.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2013, 5:16am

Post #40 of 45 (362 views)
Shortcut
My dvd was fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

The blu-ray had superior defenition and color (obviously), but the dvd was comparable, and i didn't notice anything unusual. Typical dvd i'd say.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Mar 24 2013, 5:18am)

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 24 2013, 5:37am

Post #41 of 45 (374 views)
Shortcut
sigh, that's what I was afraid of [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I just got a lemon DVD. Unsure Thanks for the feedback.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Mar 24 2013, 5:38am)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 24 2013, 10:00am

Post #42 of 45 (734 views)
Shortcut
Splode! [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I was a bit irritated at the inclusion of an "anti-anything" commercial, but realized it was their defense against any anti-smoking hullabalo to say they included an anti-smoking advert on the home release. What really made me laugh was how many separate language anti-piracy warnings there were, there was almost no end to them.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Mar 24 2013, 10:01am)

sherlock
Gondor

Mar 24 2013, 3:02pm

Post #43 of 45 (335 views)
Shortcut
Wish you were closer. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're welcome to come watch it with me but it would be a long drive to Annapolis, Maryland.Tongue

sherlock
Gondor

Mar 24 2013, 3:04pm

Post #44 of 45 (330 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

I was underwhelmed with the extras, too.

sherlock
Gondor

Mar 25 2013, 12:32pm

Post #45 of 45 (350 views)
Shortcut
I don't hate him but [In reply to] Can't Post

I could do without the bird's nest, bird poop, & stick insect. The bunny sled is ok but leading the orcs away was just plain stupid.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.