Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dwarven Archery
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 4:54pm

Post #26 of 31 (243 views)
Shortcut
Bows and horses [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I've tried it too - you really have to sort of pour your entire seat into the inner knees while you shoot. Absolutely harder than it looks! Fun though, I wish I had more horsey access to play around, but just too busy. Plus unless its on a friend's horse people look a bit askance at the weapon.......haha!

Hell hath no fury like a Dragon who is missing a cup.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2013, 5:21pm

Post #27 of 31 (230 views)
Shortcut
... and I always wondered about Legolas.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...leaving a perfectly good saddle lying on the Plains of Rohan ("I need them not...") along with the bridle.

I seem to remember the Mongols inventing the stirrup FOR ARCHERS...

...so they could stand up off the bumpity bump of a moving horse and shoot. Darn Elves must have lower spines made of rubber.

And how he ever survived a chainmail axe-wielding Dwarf bouncing at his back while riding a bareback horse is beyond me. Every time I've done it (had a rider behind, bareback)(without even chainmail)(or axes) I end up perched on that Mount Everest bit of anatomy called the withers...

fortunately for Orlando Bloom, they didn't follow bookverse.

Go outside and play...

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2013, 6:47pm

Post #28 of 31 (227 views)
Shortcut
Ha! The rumble seat! [In reply to] Can't Post

and being on the withers with short legs is a rough and perhaps short lived ride too! My Cherokee ancestors used to ride in hanging off the sides to look like horses with no riders - that's a trick I'd love to try too!

I dunno, if we could get a couple thousand years to practice I guess we could improve! Wink Be awfully fun to try!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2013, 4:16am

Post #29 of 31 (200 views)
Shortcut
a few short generations of horsemanship... [In reply to] Can't Post

Native Americans took to the Horse and developed horsemanship into an art in an amazingly short time (before their way of life was irrevocably changed)... I seem to remember that sometimes they braided loops in the manes to help with that hanging off the side thing.

There are natural braids that develop in horses' manes (wind, head tossing, the texture of horsehair). They are quite fine and intricate, and look like they were made by... Elves. There are legends associated with the braids: depending on where the legend originated, it is either witches or Elves who ride the horses at night, braiding the loops in the mane...

Go outside and play...

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2013, 2:46pm

Post #30 of 31 (220 views)
Shortcut
Braided manes [In reply to] Can't Post

Beautiful point about the legends about who rides at night..........what an evocative image.

Indeed many of the Mongol/Eurasian steppe peoples had amazing horse culture, and the people that came over the land bridge seems adapted quickly when horses were presented.

kingfisher

Jan 3 2014, 6:49pm

Post #31 of 31 (164 views)
Shortcut
Speculations on Kili's bow and his weapons [In reply to] Can't Post

For those who are interested, I wrote a short essay on Kili's bow and his other weapons, including speculations on their form and function. References are drawn from The Hobbit: AUJ, tie-ins and supporting materials: http://thorinoakenshield.net/...adly-at-every-range/

As far as I can say, in his role as one of the scouts of Thorin Oakenshield's Company, it's not too far-fetched that Kili uses a bow as his primary weapon, even if the axe might be a dwarf's signature weapon.

But as we have seen in DOS now, they didn't even show us the bow Thorin gets later on - maybe in the Extended Edition, so archery doesn't seem to be a main focal point.

Cheers,
kingfisher

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.