Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
i think bifur is "talking" about the key and the door

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2013, 11:26am

Post #1 of 13 (866 views)
Shortcut
i think bifur is "talking" about the key and the door Can't Post

during the unexpected party, after gandalf has given thorin the key, the table errupts into discord.

bifur is seen doing something with his hands.

i believe he is pantomiming inserting the key in the door, and manipulating it.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Mar 20 2013, 11:28am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2013, 2:12pm

Post #2 of 13 (332 views)
Shortcut
Well alrighty then! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Mac now I need to go rewatch it! I love Bifur and his gestures!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 20 2013, 4:43pm

Post #3 of 13 (271 views)
Shortcut
I noticed this and thought he might be talking about a wind-up toy [In reply to] Can't Post

but the key makes more sense. Maybe he'll have a role to play when they get to the lock. Perhaps it'll be jammed and his toy-making skills help un-jam it. Smile

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2013, 5:18pm

Post #4 of 13 (254 views)
Shortcut
he could have also [In reply to] Can't Post

bifur could have also been describing what he was going to do with smaug's jaxsie.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2013, 5:49pm

Post #5 of 13 (219 views)
Shortcut
ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

:)

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2013, 6:45pm

Post #6 of 13 (225 views)
Shortcut
So why did the start fighting? [In reply to] Can't Post

I never noticed this in the theater, but it jumped out at me last night. I can't figure it out.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 20 2013, 6:49pm

Post #7 of 13 (226 views)
Shortcut
You must have missed the thread the other day: [In reply to] Can't Post

Link.

Cool

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2013, 7:08pm

Post #8 of 13 (198 views)
Shortcut
Huh... it seems i did. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought i'd been keeping up. Thanks!

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Mar 20 2013, 7:09pm)

lurtz2010
Rohan

Mar 20 2013, 8:35pm

Post #9 of 13 (182 views)
Shortcut
hes showing Bilbo getting hurt/killed in the wild [In reply to] Can't Post

His fingers are bilbo walking then he shows him being snapped in half then both halves getting screwed together.

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Mar 20 2013, 8:44pm

Post #10 of 13 (177 views)
Shortcut
That's it exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfect interpretation! Seeing how they're talking about dragons, perhaps it's Bilbo getting snapped in half by Smaug?

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

WhiskFishercat
Bree

Mar 21 2013, 12:07am

Post #11 of 13 (130 views)
Shortcut
the toy... [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember seeing Bifur with a windup toy in the trailer (i think inside the goblin cave?), but I dont remember seeing this in the movie...i wonder if this scene is in the EE, or maybe its a scene from DoS?

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2013, 12:18am

Post #12 of 13 (124 views)
Shortcut
this is what... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Perfect interpretation! Seeing how they're talking about dragons, perhaps it's Bilbo getting snapped in half by Smaug?

"this is what smaug is going to do with bilbo's jaxsie..."

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2013, 10:03am

Post #13 of 13 (123 views)
Shortcut
Here's the screencap: [In reply to] Can't Post

Link.

It's definitely while the Company are resting on the Goblin's front porch. Bilbo has obviously spotted something, perhaps a black crack and eyes peering through (as in the book). He doesn't look very concerned in the film though. Perhaps this is an alternative scene to the final one.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.