Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
POSSIBLE DOS SPOILER: Kili and Tauriel. What it will mean to Thorin.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 9 2013, 8:53am

Post #26 of 37 (652 views)
Shortcut
Noooooo!!!!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Mar 9 2013, 3:14pm

Post #27 of 37 (625 views)
Shortcut
stoutfiles! [In reply to] Can't Post

....You! What were you doing cleverly playing off of Thorin's fake-out switcheroo line from the end of AUJ! You nearly made me soak my jeans with my own urine! Did you not know that by posting these things you will endanger my wardrobe? I've never been so in danger of having to go back to the mall in my life!

[RuxT applauds stoutfiles] Laugh

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

glor
Rohan

Mar 9 2013, 8:11pm

Post #28 of 37 (613 views)
Shortcut
I am your MOTHER!! / / [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 9 2013, 8:51pm

Post #29 of 37 (615 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Not likely... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What if Tauriel is Legolas' mother..........

Evil

Tolkien never wrote much (anything?) about the mother of Legolas, but the general consensus is that Thranduil's queen was a Sindar Elf like himself and his son. Tauriel is a Silvan Elf (a Wood-elf). Although, I am also assuming that Tauriel is not supposed to be as precociously young as her previous incarnation of Itaril.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 9 2013, 8:53pm)

dik-dik
Lorien

Mar 9 2013, 10:54pm

Post #30 of 37 (593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There's been discussion yay and nay re: Evie's elf and how her character will be used but what intrigues me is if it is true, how will it impact Kili's relationship with his dwarf-hating uncle? Will Thorin have knowledge of his nephew's feelings and express his disappointment and disgust? Will Kili for the first time stand up to the uncle he reveres in disagreement? If so, does anyone think such a "betrayal" from his heir may contribute to Thorin's growing sense of isolation, even from his company, cultivating his paranoia and madness? Anyone else been wonder about this or enjoy typing question marks as much as I do??? Wink

I am hoping for no romantic feelings whatsoever in TH, as I find them disturbing the real plotline and unnecessary, not to mention detracting from the uniqueness of Gimli's adoration for Galadriel. But if the crush or whatever has to be there between Kili and Tauriel, I'd like Thorin to stay away from it, preferrably in blessed ignorance in his deep cell. I'm concerned that already most of the movie revolves around him, so I'd like the other characters to get some screentime and development all to themselves. If a Dwarven crush on a young elf is involved, and someone in the company absolutely needs to know, I'd prefer to see the two young brothers discussing this and keeping it a secret from everyone else. I believe Thorin is conflicted enough already without a romance added to his worries. ;)

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Ceridwen

Mar 9 2013, 11:58pm

Post #31 of 37 (577 views)
Shortcut
Interesting question... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty resistant to the idea of a female character being introduced only as a 'love interest', however undeveloped that relationship is. So I'm hopeful she'll be a force to be reckoned with in her own (hopefully kick-ass) right.

My guess is that Kili's story will go from hero-worshipping Thorin to the scales falling from his eyes later, and becoming more questioning, more his own man. Seeing any elf in a positive light would be a little step along that path. But then I know my speculation is *always* wrong!

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 10 2013, 3:08am

Post #32 of 37 (560 views)
Shortcut
Given... [In reply to] Can't Post

Given Turner's comment about Laketown being important for his character, any speculation on what that might involve?

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Mar 10 2013, 5:24am

Post #33 of 37 (566 views)
Shortcut
I'm still a bit sceptical about this dwarf-elf romance. [In reply to] Can't Post

Are we sure Aidan Turner wasn't joking when he mentioned it in an interview? Are there any other sources that can back up this romance?

Another Ringer I know had a good idea - maybe it's a bit like the Galadriel-Gimli relationship; not wholly, but a lot like it. Kili might admire Tauriel from afar to give a hint of romance in these films. Romance is a main element in films today, but The Hobbit is not about romance AT ALL. Even LotR isn't, albeit it has elements thereof.

Although, if it did happen (It wouldn't really bother me, but I'm not ecstatic about it), I think it would affect Thorin. He's not exactly an elf lover, and if after being locked up in Mirkwood, he's bound to be even angrier towards elves. It would be nice to see more of the relationship between Thorin, Kili and Fili, and this may be a very good way to do it; maybe Fili is against the idea and sides with Thorin.

But the inner-fangirl in me says ,"Please! It would sooooo cute!"

But my inner-purist softly says ,"No." and cries in a fetal position.

Your theory is good, by the way! Smile

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards because a refusal often offends." - Terry Pratchett

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Mar 10 2013, 5:34am)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Mar 10 2013, 3:05pm

Post #34 of 37 (536 views)
Shortcut
Merlins Beard!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Dont put ideas in PJ's head. Romeo and Juliet Lite. Mad

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 10 2013, 11:26pm

Post #35 of 37 (520 views)
Shortcut
Believe me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure no ideas mentioned here were not ALREADY in PJ's head.

I do think it was partly joking but I do think they'll have some sort of interaction. Kili and Fili are with Tauriel and Legolas in the Mirkwood spiders Lego kit.

I think it might be more the tragic sense than the romantic sense. The real tragedy of Romeo and Juliet wasn't Romeo and Juliet, it was their families. So maybe Kili and Tauriel will be more an example of how negatively old feuds affect generations who had nothing to do with them(Kili wasn't even born when Erebor fell and Tauriel likely wasn't born when Dwarves killed Thingol--so while their ages are far apart between themselves, they are likely both equally unattached to the matters that have caused bad blood between their elders) .

Not because of any "romance" between them, but because they may become friendly and then in their separate story lines they may be negatively affected by Thorin and Thranduil's dislike and distrust of each other and each other's people. I think a scenario like that would probably be more effective, as it would seem less ridiculous. You know, we see them having the possibility of being somewhat friendly, then going off their separate ways to take part in the larger storylines and how it's affected their beliefs and what that does to their relationships with Thorin and Thranduil.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Mar 13 2013, 12:52am

Post #36 of 37 (482 views)
Shortcut
Of Course [In reply to] Can't Post

if we weren't adding new characters because we ( I am looking at you Philippa) thought we needed women in these stories we would not be having this discussion.

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 13 2013, 1:03am

Post #37 of 37 (501 views)
Shortcut
I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of us like having these discussions. Besides as I recall the head of the guard IS a character in the book, it's just a male character changed to a female character and having some of the traits adjusted, male characters in the films have had their traits adjusted, characters more important than the leader of the guard. So I imagine Tauriel won't get drunk(though who knows maybe she will:)).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.