Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Interview with Richard Armitage on UK TV this morning
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 7 2013, 9:03pm

Post #26 of 44 (309 views)
Shortcut
You could cry "Stay This Madness" [In reply to] Can't Post

in Gandalfesque tones??!!Wink
I would never throw boiled taters at anybody here- you are safe. It seems the RA fans are behind the times if he's yesterdays news-drat!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 1:08am

Post #27 of 44 (279 views)
Shortcut
It should [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yeah, RA is such a fantastic gentleman, both intelligent and handsome! Unfortunately for me, I had a hard time understanding what the interviewer was saying with the accent that I'm not used to hearing. Fortunately I could understand everything RA said! Hmmm, I hope "Black Sky" shows over here in the U.S. I'll have to check it out. Looks like he's starting to grow the beard back, getting ready to head back to NZ. I'm glad to hear he's interested in getting back on stage. So many British actors have the classical theater background, and it really shows in the quality of their acting. Thanks again for posting this interview!

Black Sky is set and was filmed in the US(he plays a High School geography teacher if memory serves) so I'm pretty sure we should be getting to see it here. :)

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 8 2013, 1:54am

Post #28 of 44 (265 views)
Shortcut
Looks like he's starting to grow his beard again // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2013, 2:00am

Post #29 of 44 (270 views)
Shortcut
Ya [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how long it takes but I agree with him on one thing: It's less time in the make up chair if they don't have to do that plus the hair etc. I honestly don't know if I could sit in a makeup chair for 2.5 hours everyday. That would be terrible. And then it stings your face etc. also? Yuck. I wonder if they gave them eye drops and stuff to put in their eyes afterwards to reduce the irritation and effects. I should have asked that in the twitter chat! ;)

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 8 2013, 2:05am

Post #30 of 44 (271 views)
Shortcut
Well, they're actor [In reply to] Can't Post

So they willingly sit and deal with this for their craft. Plus, it's a job, so they're getting paid to put up with it. If I got their money, I'd sit in that chair for 2 1/2 hours everyday! ^_^

I remember he said in another interview that it take about 6 weeks to grow the beard to the needed length.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2013, 2:07am

Post #31 of 44 (261 views)
Shortcut
True enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how much they got paid but I'm sure it was a lot. So I guess in that respect you're right. Plus The Hobbit is a once in a lifetime gig for an actor in terms of scope of film at least for many of these actors. I guess when you look at it that way the sacrifice isn't that bad. I don't wear makeup though in real life because it really bothers my skin and eyes. Maybe I was projecting a little there :)

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Mar 8 2013, 3:08am

Post #32 of 44 (272 views)
Shortcut
Arggh, finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

NZ Toddler has been refusing to take a nap all afternoon and I've been missing out on the Thorin love!

Thanks for sharing that interview! He gives great interviews, and I just continue to be more and more impressed with him. I still think it's so great he's such a big fanboy too. He reminds me a lot of Viggo in terms of his dedication and earnestness, and that's pretty high praise in my book! I wonder if he ever slept with Orcrist...

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 8 2013, 4:02am

Post #33 of 44 (239 views)
Shortcut
Black Sky is delayed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted in Off Topic that the company that had been hired to do the special effects, Rhythm & Hues (they did the tiger in Life of Pi) declared bankruptcy, and any movie they didn't already have in the pipeline is on hold until a new effects outfit can be found. Warner Bros. has other movies ahead of it they need to get done. Bleah.

But back on topic, he does remind me of Viggo, at least with the general humility factor. A bit less artsy, though. And I can't really picture him in Eastern Promises, notwithstanding that he spent time in a Russian prison.

In Reply To
Black Sky is set and was filmed in the US(he plays a High School geography teacher if memory serves) so I'm pretty sure we should be getting to see it here. :)

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 8 2013, 10:24am

Post #34 of 44 (216 views)
Shortcut
Aaaww NZ Toddler looks so cute [In reply to] Can't Post

in those photos you posted a couple of weeks ago, but she looked like she has a bit of a mischievous glint in her eye. How old is she now? Hopefully she has settled to sleep now (must be about 10 pm in NZ?). I haven't got kids myself but I've had enough experience over the years in looking after my nieces and my friends' children to know what it's like when they won't sleep when you want them to.
Re RA- having been a fan for a few years, I can imagine, from interviews done long ago, just how much it must have meant to him to get this opportunity in the Hobbit. I really hope that he gets to be involved in the Richard III film project- I'm really interested in medieval history myself and would love to see this project come to fruition.
Hope you have a peaceful night Ro!

MistyMountain
Lorien

Mar 8 2013, 7:52pm

Post #35 of 44 (187 views)
Shortcut
chest hair? Lucas North had no chest hair -- ow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which means they waxed his chest?! Yikes!!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 8 2013, 8:15pm

Post #36 of 44 (181 views)
Shortcut
Just heard a couple of *thumps* from here [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope everyone is okay...!Wink

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 8 2013, 10:35pm

Post #37 of 44 (161 views)
Shortcut
In Robin Hood [In reply to] Can't Post

He had no chest hair in that show. Nor did he have any in Cold Feet, IIRC. Seems odd to do that much waxing every time he's in a show. If you look up images on him on Google, you'll find many images from different shows where he's not wearing a shirt. And he has no chest hair.

MistyMountain
Lorien

Mar 8 2013, 11:12pm

Post #38 of 44 (160 views)
Shortcut
Yes I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't see the alleged chest hair in the UK interview but I thought maybe I was just blind. Here is another pic from Robin Hood. Makes me glad that he didn't have to suffer through waxing.

Old Toby
Gondor

Mar 9 2013, 5:50am

Post #39 of 44 (122 views)
Shortcut
You had to do this, didn't you? [In reply to] Can't Post

Misty...you're bad. Bad bad bad bad bad! (Excuse me while I go take another cold shower!) Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 9 2013, 9:11am

Post #40 of 44 (114 views)
Shortcut
Interesting to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

how much weight RA lost to play Lucas North- I remember reading that he lost at least 20lb (he was supposed to have just been released from a Russian jail) and thinking that he was hardly fat in the first place. I'm not complaining- I like both versions equally! As for the waxing- I'm not sure- in Brian Sibley's Movie Companion there is a photo of RA in the make-up chair and it does look like he has some chest hair. I guess leading men suffer for their art in the same way as leading ladies these days!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 9 2013, 3:09pm

Post #41 of 44 (98 views)
Shortcut
Was worried for you my friend! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thought one of those fainting thumps might be you........! Wink

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 10 2013, 3:15am

Post #42 of 44 (71 views)
Shortcut
huh... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
how much weight RA lost to play Lucas North- I remember reading that he lost at least 20lb (he was supposed to have just been released from a Russian jail) and thinking that he was hardly fat in the first place. I'm not complaining- I like both versions equally! As for the waxing- I'm not sure- in Brian Sibley's Movie Companion there is a photo of RA in the make-up chair and it does look like he has some chest hair. I guess leading men suffer for their art in the same way as leading ladies these days!

Looking at the Companion it kinda does look like he has just a little bit of chest hair. But it's very sparse, so it's really hard to tell. Yet in other pics, including publicity shots, that same area is void of hair. If you Google "Richard Armitage shirt off", you'll find these images. Toby, this means you'll need to take another cold shower. Wink

And if he does wax, it doesn't make any sense. Lots of male actors show off their hairy chest. Look at AT! That guy is just a mass of chest hair! So why would RA feel the need to wax his chest(if he does indeed have chest hair) whenever he might have his shirt off? Vanity?

marillaraina
Rohan

Mar 10 2013, 3:28am

Post #43 of 44 (73 views)
Shortcut
A lot of actors [In reply to] Can't Post

Many actors also go smooth. It seems to me the hairy actors are unusual. Most actors seem to take a mower to the chest hair at some point. :)

Some of them start out with hair and then the next time you see them shirtless they have none. I think it's two fold, some viewers don't particularly like to see body hair and don't find it attractive so the producers tell them to shave BUT as well many of these actors spend time working out and if they have a lot of body hair it can hide some of the definition they've worked so hard for and want to show off so sometimes it might be a personal choice where they see themselves on screen and go..."hey my six pack was harder than that, I'm shaving next time." :)

I can't say I'm partial to body hair in general but I hope no one manages to convince Aidan Turner to shave his chest because his really works for him somehow. :)

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Mar 10 2013, 3:30am)

ryouko
Lorien

Mar 10 2013, 3:37am

Post #44 of 44 (86 views)
Shortcut
I guess that makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, and looking at those Googled pics, I saw two pics where you can see some chest hair on RA. But it does seem rather sparse. So I guess he doesn't really have a lot, but he does have some.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.