Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
how does one find where the hobbit is still playing in the u.s.?

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 2:27am

Post #1 of 14 (278 views)
Shortcut
how does one find where the hobbit is still playing in the u.s.? Can't Post

search engines are limited. they want to focus on very local, point-based data locations.

how to get a listing of where it's playing this weekend in an entire state, or the country? i think it may no longer be playing past thursday anyway, but i thought i'd ask.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 3:04am

Post #2 of 14 (143 views)
Shortcut
Not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

You could try searching by cinema chain and see if you can find it that way. Boxofficemojo though has it down to 210 cinemas nationwide. Not a lot of choices.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Mar 7 2013, 3:06am)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 3:22am

Post #3 of 14 (142 views)
Shortcut
my (semi-) local theater is one of the 210 [In reply to] Can't Post

...but not after thursday.

twilight: breaking dawn part 16 is still in theaters, and it's been out 4 weeks longer. doesn't seem fair.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 3:34am

Post #4 of 14 (139 views)
Shortcut
Try different cities... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's gone out of all my local theaters too, but is in one about 30 miles away. You can find it on sites like Google Movies, which will ask you to specify a location, by changing the location (to other metro areas you'd be willing to travel to). I quickly found 5 places it is showing in my state (MA), though some are 1-2 hours away. I'll wait for the DVD at this point.
Smile

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 3:39am

Post #5 of 14 (131 views)
Shortcut
yes, i've been using google movies, but it's slightly unreliable [In reply to] Can't Post

plugging in my home location, it consistently refuses to give me the location of the one theater (only 40 minutes away) that it's playing in my state. i came across that theater via hunt and peck searching. 40 minutes is not that far away. the algorithm is most likely the same for other locations.

but i very much appreciate your thoughts. i really was hoping for one more weekend. (sigh)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2013, 3:47am

Post #6 of 14 (131 views)
Shortcut
Maybe there's some fixed limit, like 30 miles. [In reply to] Can't Post

The one location it gives me is 30 miles, about 35 minutes, form my hometown. The next closest I found is 38 miles from where I live, 45 minutes. It does not show up for my town, but it does when I put in a city which is closer to this second location than my town.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 3:50am

Post #7 of 14 (128 views)
Shortcut
yep, that's how i found.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the arkenstone. -- i mean -- the last theater in my state.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 4:20am

Post #8 of 14 (142 views)
Shortcut
It's playing in four theaters in the Twin Cities [In reply to] Can't Post

but they're all in the mid-tier ring of suburbs (we have inner tier which might as well be city and outer tier which is almost country and this mid-tier). And only three are showing it on Friday.

But it should be coming to my neighborhood second run theater soon and maybe others when it hits second run.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2013, 11:30am

Post #9 of 14 (100 views)
Shortcut
lucky, lucky, lucky dog [In reply to] Can't Post

i have no idea if it's going to make it to second run theaters near me. i doubt it, for some reason. but, definitely happy for you. : )

i'm planning my day today to see it one more time. getting ready to leave early for work, so as to leave early from work, so as to fly to the theater for its last showing there. and the digital projection in that theater is +beautiful+ and on a huge screen.

in that theater, i've had the most wonderful viewing experience. for the nine times i've seen it there, i've sat in the same seat, in the front, only one row of seats in front of me (it's one of those seating arrangements in which they split the seating into two sections -- near the center, there is a huge gap where there are no seats, through which people walk to access the other seats.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 7 2013, 1:52pm

Post #10 of 14 (106 views)
Shortcut
my second run theater is a vintage theater from the 50s [In reply to] Can't Post

...and hasn't needed restoration since it never fell into disrepair. It has, however, been continually upgraded so it has high quality screen, projection, sound, and seating. Tickets for most movies are $3 ... $2 for matinees and on Tuesdays. The snacks are half the price of big theaters and the butter on the popcorn is real. It is literally in a neighborhood. South Minneapolis has a lot of business corners nestled in neighborhoods.

I had seen FOTR twice in December 2001 and then it came to the Riverview in March and we all went to see it again. It was during this third viewing that something sparked that led my feet on an adventure I could never have imagined. It played as a matinee all summer I saw it 7 times there (9 times in all) before it left in August. TTT and ROTK did not play as matinees all summer.

This theater is very connected to the community. They have offered a lot of things for free like local university sports or the Tour de France projected on the screen. They also showcase premieres of locally made films and documentaries, host fundraisers for organizations, participate in film festivals, show Serenity yearly as a fundraiser for Equality Now (Whedon's favorite charity), and show film matinees on school off days that child care centers attend by the bus load. I've even attended a book reading by Neil Gaiman there. (Neil lives in a nearby town for at least part of the year)

For many years they hosted a LOTR marathon in December that is always sold out (this year WB wouldn't let them have the films). I met my first TORnsibs at a Riverview LOTR marathon. :-)

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 7 2013, 1:52pm)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2013, 3:03am

Post #11 of 14 (68 views)
Shortcut
wow, magpie -- you're not in minneapolis, you're in aman [In reply to] Can't Post

and are you the same magpie on who's music of the lord of the rings site i've poured so much time? between you and doug adams and howard shore, i've spent many happy hours.

thank you +so much+ for your site! : )

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2013, 3:05am

Post #12 of 14 (65 views)
Shortcut
oh, and, by the way... [In reply to] Can't Post

there's a bird in your antlers.

(if it was me, i'd want someone to say something.)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2013, 3:11am

Post #13 of 14 (61 views)
Shortcut
oh, and... just to add... [In reply to] Can't Post

tonight was apparently my last hobbit viewing (in the theaters). sigh. oh, sigh.

went to work an hour early so i could leave an hour early. caught the train home, literally ran from the train station to my house, jumped in the car and drove through commuter traffic to the theater. normally the drive takes 30 to 40 minutes. took me an hour. walked in just as dwalin was growling, "that'll be the door." which is one of my favorite dwalin moments.

about 10 people. one of them, a lady to my right who was seeing it for the first time. we discussed it afterwards. she was charmed by it, and really liked it..

ok, if i'm not seeing the hobbit this weekend, i'll trek to erebor instead. interested? call me, and be part of my company.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 8 2013, 4:21am

Post #14 of 14 (84 views)
Shortcut
*points to links in my footer* [In reply to] Can't Post

there are lots of magpies out there but pretty much I'm *the* magpie in the LOTR score community and a good part of the online Tolkien community.

thanks for the kind words on the website.

And the heads up on the bird in antler thing! ;-p
There's another photo making the rounds where the bird is pecking at the other end of an antlered animal.

and... because there's this mini-resurgence in interest in the LOTR score, I will point people toward an archive of a number of past scheduled discussions held on the LOTR over the years.

http://mathom-house.net/...ssionsCollectedLinks

http://mathom-house.net/...ssionsCollectedLinks - look for two series of "Music for Middle-earth" discussions which was also archived here:
http://www.amagpiesnest.com/...usic_middleearth.htm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.