Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Question about the standard 3D

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 6:59pm

Post #1 of 6 (305 views)
Shortcut
Question about the standard 3D Can't Post

I went to see the Hobbit in the standard 3D because the 3D 48 HFR is not showing anymore in London, as far as I can tell. Before that I had seen it once in 2D and ten plus times in the 48 HFR. I went to see it once in 3D before a mistake, because I found it too blurred and dark.

Today, I went to see the film in a smallish studio, and the 3D was much better than it had been on the only other occasion I saw it in that format. Question: can the appearance of the same film in the same format differ from cinema to cinema?

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 5 2013, 7:05pm

Post #2 of 6 (158 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

The quality of the projection and sound can be vastly different based on the cinema's equipment etc.
A lot of cinemas are now trying to project 3D films brighter so that the glasses don't hinder the experience too much, but I am sure there are many that still do not have the most updated technology etc.

(This post was edited by Lindele on Mar 5 2013, 7:06pm)

imin
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 7:06pm

Post #3 of 6 (145 views)
Shortcut
i think it can yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it comes down to how the individual cinemas set up the screens/sound. I have been to some 3D movies (24fps) which look very dark and then the same showing in a different cinema looking less dark.

For example when i went to see AUJ opening night in 3D 24fps i didn't think the screen was that dark but i did feel the colour grading was terrible - everything was over saturated to within an inch of its life - discussed this on here and others didn't seem to have this same problem so i went with it was my local cinema that got it a little wrong.

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 5 2013, 7:17pm

Post #4 of 6 (136 views)
Shortcut
Yup, it's all down to the equipment they have. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the film in 3D in a non-local cinema, and there appeared to be "ghosting" - either the projection wasn't 100% lined up, or there was some other issue. It happened when there were light and dark contrasts. I never saw the effect before in other showings, and have never seen since.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Mar 5 2013, 9:27pm

Post #5 of 6 (96 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 5 2013, 10:12pm

Post #6 of 6 (98 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much for all your helpful replies [In reply to] Can't Post

The only other time I saw the Hobbit in standard 3D was at my local (very large) cinema. It really looked bad very dark and very blurred in places.

Today, though, in a studio cinema in central London, it looked pretty good (though not as good as the 48 HFR). It was a bit too dark, but I didn't notice any blurring. Even the Goblin scenes were quite clear (and a lot of fun, I must say, with the different fighting styles of the Dwarves clearly visible).

I shall have to bear this factor in mind when I go to see the next two films. I'll hopefully be able to see them at the high frame rate, but may have to resort to a 3D viewing or two should the HFR be removed from cinemas at the end of their runs.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Mar 5 2013, 10:14pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.