Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Battle of Five Armies
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Rolfina
Rivendell

Mar 6 2013, 9:18am

Post #26 of 31 (104 views)
Shortcut
Well, just lower your expectations then. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
I know, that's not easily done. But I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. I have a feeling it will be AT LEAST every bit as great as the battles in LotR. Film battles usually bore me out of my mind, but those I liked.

imin
Valinor

Mar 6 2013, 11:45am

Post #27 of 31 (86 views)
Shortcut
I would say lower your expectations [In reply to] Can't Post

But i think seeing as you love all PJ's previous M-e films i think you will like his final one. I am hoping he doesn't go OTT for the BoFA but i have a feeling he probably can't do that for you for this battle, lol.

I do think this battle is special, what with the circumstances of how it came to be and then also for the different groups involved. I think PJ will certainly take it to the next level.

dik-dik
Lorien

Mar 6 2013, 12:54pm

Post #28 of 31 (88 views)
Shortcut
Re: snow and fights in BoFA [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was thinking about the the big 'end' battle. How can it be special? Without getting bigger and undoing the Battle of The Pelennor Fields? They can't use big siege weapons etc.. I read several interviews that it would have some aerial fighting - some dogfights. And PJ loves them so they will be there..

I wouldn't like this battle to supersede Pelennor and Black Gate in scope. With Lake-town destroyed along with most resources, and the Wood-elves not being prepared for such a battle (unless Thranduil had a gift of foresight or something), and presumably unused to fighting in the open - I can't see the good-side participants (save Dáin's dwarves) putting up such resistance as experienced Gondorians and Rohirrim.
But aerial fights sounds interesting. We've seen fell beasts vs. eagles - it makes me wonder what giant bats vs. eagles would look like.

In Reply To
I didn't think of this, but a snowy battle is great. Just try to imagine: Wind, snow, frozen beards of the dwarves. The orcs coming down the mountainside. The boars of the cavalry storming through snow... Great imagery...
What do you think?

As long as there's not too much snow (after all, a charge of Dwarves in deep snow can't look very epic, I imagine), there should be some powerful scenes. If loads of snow are involved, I'd like to see someone from the goodie camp arrange for an avalanche to destroy an orc contingent; the less gore, the better, as far as I am concerned.
I'm still bothered by the boars though. I'd personally prefer original battle sequences on the mountain slopes than yet other bizarre mounts (don't the HoME books say the Dwarves weren't particularly good with animals?).

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2013, 2:43pm

Post #29 of 31 (69 views)
Shortcut
June and July [In reply to] Can't Post

The actors arrive at the end of May. Pickups are all June and July so yep this will be Winter in NZ and I would expect to see snow.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Mar 6 2013, 2:44pm)

imin
Valinor

Mar 6 2013, 2:49pm

Post #30 of 31 (63 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Sounds like it is going to look magnificent! // [In reply to] Can't Post

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 6 2013, 8:27pm

Post #31 of 31 (79 views)
Shortcut
It probably won't live up to my expectations [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can still dream!

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.