Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TABA: Multiple ending criticism?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2013, 3:04pm

Post #26 of 47 (477 views)
Shortcut
I've not heard of this [In reply to] Can't Post

unfinished epilogue-- what is it?

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 4 2013, 3:06pm

Post #27 of 47 (467 views)
Shortcut
Oh definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted all the Fellowship and major characters to have an ending. I wanted to see Gimli and Legolas exploring the caves and Fangorn. Evil

I agree it shouldn't have been in the theatrical version, but it would have been great in the EE. Each to their own though!

Smile

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 3:11pm

Post #28 of 47 (466 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've already said as much.

And unless I'm missing something, Bilbo is the central character if The Hobbit. Showing more scenes of him in the Shire is a good thing, IMO.

Yes, of course Bilbo is the central character in the Hobbit – but I would much rather see him in extended scenes in the central part of the film, with the other main characters, rather than in any flashbacks as a child, etc.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Mar 4 2013, 3:11pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 4 2013, 3:13pm

Post #29 of 47 (496 views)
Shortcut
They filmed some scenes for an "epilogue", but it wasn't finished. [In reply to] Can't Post

The one's definitely filmed were of Gimli and Legolas exploring Fangorn and the caves, and Eowyn's wedding. Aragorn's death and funeral was "supposedly" filmed. Perhaps they intended for Galadriel to narrate the epilgoue, to mirror the prologue?

There's footage on youtube from the extra DVDs: link. That's of Gimli and Legolas.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Mar 4 2013, 3:14pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2013, 3:21pm

Post #30 of 47 (463 views)
Shortcut
Aaah, i've heard of those scenes, [In reply to] Can't Post

i just never heard of them referred to as the "epilogue" before. Thanks.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 3:22pm

Post #31 of 47 (459 views)
Shortcut
Oh wait [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm being daft. For some reason I thought you were talking about wanting the epilogue that Tolkien wrote to have been put on the end of the film. I certainly don't want that.

But I agree, I would want to see those Gimli and Legolas scenes. Wasn't there also a scene between Arwen and Aragorn on his deathbed? I'd love to see that too!

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 3:28pm

Post #32 of 47 (450 views)
Shortcut
Character scenes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, to each their own then. I will take character scenes wherever I can get them, because I found them to be severely lacking in the theatrical cut. If Bilbo as a child and in the market are great scenes for him, I'll be more forgiving of the rest of the film, I think.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 4 2013, 3:33pm

Post #33 of 47 (455 views)
Shortcut
I do love Tolkien's epilogue too, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe just as a mini-special. Wink Along with a Tom Bombadil special.

(P.S. You nearly had been confused as well. I thought you meant the appendix. Blush)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 3:34pm

Post #34 of 47 (441 views)
Shortcut
Yes, to character scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Well, to each their own then. I will take character scenes wherever I can get them, because I found them to be severely lacking in the theatrical cut. If Bilbo as a child and in the market are great scenes for him, I'll be more forgiving of the rest of the film, I think.

I definitely want to see more character scenes, but not the one you mention, rather ones from the central part of the story. Wink

I agree that it is all a matter of personal preference…

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 3:36pm

Post #35 of 47 (445 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyn's wedding? As one who thinks the whole Faramir/Eowyn narrative got gypped in LOTR, I would be insane about seeing this. Of course, when I think about the sheer amount of time I have spent watching all of these movies, over and over, including the 15 times I've seen AUJ, I could probably have learned a new language, or taken up blacksmithing or something. More extra scenes would be sensory overload (but that's okay).

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2013, 3:37pm

Post #36 of 47 (443 views)
Shortcut
I think AUJ was greatly lacking in character moments, [In reply to] Can't Post

especially the last third, which, other than Riddles, felt thin and rushed. I'm expecting/hoping the EE rectifies that. It definitely looks like the Hobbiton and Rivindell sequences will benefit, though.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Mar 4 2013, 3:43pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 3:39pm

Post #37 of 47 (440 views)
Shortcut
Epilogue [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there are some nice descriptions and flowery language in it. But overall it comes across as a sappy "let's remember the good ol' days" scene, and I just don't like that, not as an actual ending anyway. I do enjoy reading it as a separate thing, though, once in a while.

Uh, the appendices have some of the best material ever, Daniel! Don't make that mistake again TongueLaugh

I love the chapters with Tom, but I don't think they'd ever be done justice on film, unfortunately.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 3:41pm

Post #38 of 47 (435 views)
Shortcut
They're confirmed for the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

So I guess you'll have to get your remote ready to fast forward, and I'll be getting my popcorn Wink

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 3:43pm

Post #39 of 47 (423 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

That's exactly how I feel. I'm especially looking forward to more of Bilbo in Rivendell. His scene with Narsil and Elrond sounds so great to me.

Kimtc
Rohan

Mar 4 2013, 3:47pm

Post #40 of 47 (423 views)
Shortcut
I agree on the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

As one who tends to read through those parts really fast anyway, I don't mind a little less time in the Shire this go round. Plus, won't there be a lot of Shire footage in the EE for this one?

I am wondering, though, if they already intend to have the scene of Bilbo returning and finding that his relatives have ransacked Bag End. In the beginning of AUJ, Bilbo is hiding all his silver, and when Frodo asks him why Bilbo says that he once caught Lobelia Sackville-Baggins running off with his spoons. It's possible that this is meant to tie in to that last sequence in the book.

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 4 2013, 3:58pm

Post #41 of 47 (424 views)
Shortcut
It was an artistic choice [In reply to] Can't Post

I respect it, and I admire what was done, and the content of each. Not all movies need to wrap up in a stock, delivered-from-the-vidiot-generation studio way.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 4 2013, 4:50pm

Post #42 of 47 (422 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

- The conclusion to the White Council/Necromancer plot-line could come relatively early in TaBA. On the other hand, Tolkien dealt with it on the return journey by having Bilbo listening to Gandalf and Elrond discussing the matter. Sauron declares himself in Mordor years later, but this could be moved forward enough to warrant a mention when Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo later in Bag End.

- The potential for showing the first meeting between Aragorn and Gandalf does exist and could be worked somehow into either DoS or TaBA. However, it could be done in a way that serves the story and does not need to be told as a coda at the end of the third film.

- It would be nice if Bilbo's return includes the scene where he and Gandalf recover the Troll hoard that was buried by the company. Beyond that, Bilbo's reaction to the auction at Bag End could reflect how he has changed.

- Besides the framing sequences with Frodo and the older Bilbo, I still want to see Gandalf and Balin at Bag End.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

tolktolk
Lorien

Mar 4 2013, 6:09pm

Post #43 of 47 (390 views)
Shortcut
Yes, me too [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems truly bizarre that these important character scenes - especially the ones in Rivendell - were cut in favour of yet more scenes of people being chased around, hanging onto rocks or fallling down holes - all the stuff dubbed scene 88 by the cast and crew, who found it equally boring to film. Not to mention totally invented additions like Azog and his dreadful dialogue.

I know an enormous amount of footage was filmed, and I honestly believe this could have been a much better, more balanced film if someone else had been allowed to edit it.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2013, 6:34pm

Post #44 of 47 (380 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree more... // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2013, 6:47pm

Post #45 of 47 (375 views)
Shortcut
This is the first time i'm thinking of an EE [In reply to] Can't Post

actually *fixing* the theatrical release, and not just enhancing it.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 4 2013, 6:47pm

Post #46 of 47 (410 views)
Shortcut
I second Eleniel [In reply to] Can't Post

I could not agree with you any more. I think there's a great film in there somewhere, and can only hope that the EE goes a long way toward showing it to me.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.