Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ro's been thinking yet again (beginner's luck, I know)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2013, 11:28pm

Post #76 of 81 (113 views)
Shortcut
shovels [In reply to] Can't Post

First, I would like to say that I have seen it 19 times and didn't see the bunny staring contest-will have to look out for that!

As to the shovel question-I am an avid camper and my dad was a leader of something similar to boy scouts but through our church denomination, and I can answer your shovel question.

Top reasons dwarves would carry shovels-

1. They are an absolute MUST for campfires (and fireworks too). Dirt on a campfire can douse the campfire by providing the necessary lack of oxygen without generating smoke like water does-if you either have a) a limited water supply, or b) do not want to attract attention with the smoke, you need a shovel to douse the fire. Also, digging a slight trench and creating a slight mound around a fire pit will aid in keeping the sparks from alighting the surrounding grass/greenery. Stones also help with this. Also, that is a good method if you want to bury the ashes from your campfire and make it seem as though you weren't there. And the dirt will also aid in making sure any coals that may still be lit are buried and won't result in a forest fire in a day or two (logs especially will NOT stop burning on the inside for a while-my dad when I was little vacuumed up some day old ashen wood coals to clean the fireplace and it set our vacuum cleaner bag on fire!)

2. Latrine-the dwarves probably didn't have a great deal of time and wanted to cover up their tracks, so I would imagine at least a small toiletry hole that they can fill in the next morning to help disguise the fact that they were there to any undesirables that may be following or come across their trail.

3. It can help in also burying any old bones from any wild game they may have caught and cooked the night before. Again, covering their tracks.

4. If they ever get stuck in some mud or get buried by a cave in or other many travails of journeying in the wild, the shovel could be used to get them or their belongings out.

5. A shovel has very sharp edges-especially squared off ones and they tend to be a bit heavy on the spade end. They can double as lethal weapons in a pinch-in the World Wars, soldiers often resorted to swinging trench digging shovels when they ran out of ammunition. And the corners can gouge your opponent easily, especially if swung with force.

6. They're dwarves. Just like in the troll caves, if they come upon any gold or gems that they won't have to spend much time burying (meaning as long as they don't have to mine for it) they will bury it or they may have need of the shovels to get it out.

7. If one of them gets killed during their quest, they won't want the body desecrated or burned (the burning at Azanulbizar was a very rare exception-there were simply too many dead to take the time in dangerous territory to make proper tombs). They would therefore likely bury the body after the fashion of men in attempt to keep the body from being desecrated while they continue on (or escape danger), then return for the remains or let the surviving family members know where it is so the remains can be properly buried at a later time.

8. They are going to a mountain kingdom full of mines. They have no way of knowing what has survived Smaug's usurpation. They know the gold and such is likely intact given dragon's love of such things, however, I can't imagine Smaug finding iron tools to be very precious, and there was also extensive damage to the kingdom. Doubtless, shovels are one of the many tools they will need to start repairs, and since there may not be any tools that survived the ordeal, they will have to bring their own to get started til they can forge some more.

I am sure there might be other reasons for the presence of shovels among the dwarves, but this list alone would make anyone realize that shovels would be a must in a quest like this.

Hope this clarifies that confusion at least Wink

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Galentaliel

Mar 7 2013, 5:32am

Post #77 of 81 (118 views)
Shortcut
;) woohoo!! yep, figured it was 'bout time I jump in, stop lurking... [In reply to] Can't Post

...glad I landed right side up at least Crazy ...LOL!

Y'all are a fun bunch o' dwarf fanciers that's for sure. Heart Eons ago, it seems, I chatted regularly on the old Decipher boards, so it's nice to finally find a famliar place!

(Erm...thinly-disguised hint!) maybe Queen Ro's next topic: that post in the TORn news about "cause of strife between Dwarves and Elves"... the link they give isn't working for that (going to alert them to fix the link cuz I'd really like to read where they're going with that one...) but we could have our own chat about it. Nauglamir, anyone? 8-{

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 19 2013, 1:50am

Post #78 of 81 (84 views)
Shortcut
Oh... I like this! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 19 2013, 2:03am

Post #79 of 81 (167 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! [In reply to] Can't Post

These are AWESOME! You guys are stellar! :D PARTY ON!

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.