Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
<looking sheepish>

sador
Valinor

Mar 12 2013, 9:14pm

Views: 103
Shortcut
<looking sheepish> [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I was thinking seriously of skipping this thread altogether - seeing that telain has already posted two new ones, Laera posted a new report, and SAST#7 is under way...
But here I am. In brief.

1. Why don’t people travel from the Lonely Isle to Aman? And how come the Teleri never travel back to the Lonely Isle once they have ships?
Don't they? It does seem as if all the Elves have a westward wish - not to the Sea, but to the great Beyond (which incidentally, reinforces the point squire_made). But I don't think nobody ever returned.
That would also mean that the "pardoned" Noldor returning at the end of the First Age would find themselves in a worse exile than they had on Middle-earth, leaving the world behind them, forsaken by their kin, slowly to forget and be forgotten. Rather than Elvenhome, they are put in limbo.
A terrible fate! But while it does fit with the concept of the Fading of the Elves, I can hardly think that's what Tolkien meant.

2. Would you like to visit Alqualonde, based on this description? Would Tolkien have made a good travel writer?

It seems nice.
I don't know if Tolkien would have made a good travel writer (as CuriousG seems to think) - but I make a lousy travel reader.

3. Why are swans so often referenced in Tolkien?

Yes, they are! In connection with Tuor, Dol Amroth, even the black swans in the Anduin near the Great River.
I don't know; but this is the kind of topic I'm sure somebody wrote about. Where's NEB when we need him?

4. What exactly is living rock?
Again, I must point to a recent_discussion. Also to one of LoTR's most haunting sentences (which I posted there), and another (which squire posted in his anoser to me.)

I think Tolkien really thought of rock as a being, not just as stuff.

5. Will the Teleri ever be happy?
No elf ever will - not for long.
That's the price they have to pay for immortality.

6. What new things do we learn about the Noldor here?
They have found out they are unhappy already. The price of wisdom.

And why of all the sons of Feanor does Tolkien choose to tell us more about Celegorm here?
Setting up Huan in chapter 19.

7. Middle Earth has mumaks, wargs, giant eagles and talking birds, among other things. How do you think those would stack up whatever creatures live only in Aman? Is Tolkien referencing dinosaurs or something more mythic or fantastic?
Talking purses?

8. Any other comments on this section or the chapter as a whole?
It is a very technical chapter. Tolkien rewrote it and developed the fragmentation of the Elves several times, as a backstory for the different languages he created and their interrelations; however, it never became a real story. Which was a shame.

Thank you weaver!

Subject User Time
*Silmarillion Discussion: Chapter 5, "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie", Conclusion -- Go Teleri on the Mountain...** weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 1 2013, 9:51pm
    Alqualonde Ardamírë Send a private message to Ardamírë Mar 1 2013, 10:42pm
    A few rather random thoughts FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 3 2013, 5:02pm
    Miami, Elf style PhantomS Send a private message to PhantomS Mar 4 2013, 3:52pm
    short answers to questions that deserve more athn what I have given elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Mar 4 2013, 4:12pm
    Late answers CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 11 2013, 10:16pm
    <looking sheepish> sador Send a private message to sador Mar 12 2013, 9:14pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.