Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Bilbo has a Positive Mental Attitude!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 1 2013, 9:51am

Post #1 of 15 (489 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo has a Positive Mental Attitude! Can't Post

Bomby believes
Tolkien instilled
THAT..in all of us......

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 1 2013, 1:50pm

Post #2 of 15 (259 views)
Shortcut
Thorins final words [In reply to] Can't Post

"There is more in you of good then you know, child of the kindly West some courage and some wisdom blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded Gold, it would be a merrier World but sad or Merry, I must leave it now,
Farewell!"

Bomby feels this WILL be in the Movie.

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 1 2013, 2:00pm

Post #3 of 15 (231 views)
Shortcut
Nice one... [In reply to] Can't Post

... although I could see it slightly changed, this will definately be in there. They already highlighted greed immensly during the prologue.

Main Theme Hobbit: Greed
Main Theme LotR: Sacrifice
Main Theme ME-Sage: The Deeds of Little People

(simplified, of course)

:)

Angharad73
Rohan

Mar 1 2013, 2:39pm

Post #4 of 15 (211 views)
Shortcut
It has to be in the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin has to say it. It's the whole point, isn't it?

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 1 2013, 3:38pm

Post #5 of 15 (200 views)
Shortcut
*applause* [In reply to] Can't Post

hear, hear!!!!!!!
It needs to be said. It is Thorin's heart in canon and must be given life.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 1 2013, 4:31pm

Post #6 of 15 (190 views)
Shortcut
Greed theme [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... although I could see it slightly changed, this will definately be in there. They already highlighted greed immensly during the prologue.
Main Theme Hobbit: Greed
Main Theme LotR: Sacrifice
Main Theme ME-Sage: The Deeds of Little People

:)

To be honest, I didn't see greed highlighted very much in the film – and certainly not as the main theme. Thorin appeared noble, loyal, courageous, stubborn and proud, not greedy. Balin, Dwalin, Fili and Kili also did not appear greedy. The three Dwarves burying the treasure in the Troll cave were the only ones who appeared a bit greedy, though in an amusing way.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2013, 4:37pm

Post #7 of 15 (184 views)
Shortcut
That it must [In reply to] Can't Post

These words have to be said by Thorin and must be in the movie. There is no way they cannot be there.

Something I would like to see, and I don't know if they will do, is take Bilbo's words from the book in the following paragraph and bridge them to Thorin's words. Bilbo muses to himself after Thorin passes:

"A mercy it is,” he said at last to himself, “that I woke up when I did. I wish Thorin were living, but I am glad that we parted in kindness. You are a fool, Bilbo Baggins, and you made a great mess of that business with the stone; and there was a battle, in spite of all your efforts to buy peace and quiet, but I suppose you can hardly be blamed for that".

I think it would be interesting, instead of having Bilbo exonerate himself, to have Thorin do it. Bilbo says to Thorin as Thorin lays mortally wounded: "I was a fool and made a mess of that business with the stone and there was a battle in spite of all my efforts to buy peace and quiet" to Which Thorin says " I suppose you can hardly be blamed for that and then launches into his child of the kindly West line".

Just a thought. I think it would be interesting and maybe emotionally satsifying to have Thorin acknowledge the whole Arkenstone thing in this way and forgive Bilbo for it openly.

Of course, I am no scriptwriter ;)

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 1 2013, 4:52pm

Post #8 of 15 (181 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I thought for the part of the movies in which greed does not figure that much, it was foreshadowed quite prominently via the prologue (both Smaug and the sickness of the mind).

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 1 2013, 5:18pm

Post #9 of 15 (174 views)
Shortcut
That scene (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

when we get our beloved Thorin back and prepare to lose him ... I can't imagine the impact. Especially since we know already what MF and RA are capable of.

I think it can be contextually relevant because even though the Quest isn't really about gold or greed, but about home and pride, it underscores the dark place that Thorin went to, where he lost sight of the real prize.

elaen32
Gondor

Mar 1 2013, 8:59pm

Post #10 of 15 (136 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

I go all wobbly just thinking about how this scene will play out, with a poignant Howard Shore score over the top. These words have to be in it!

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 2 2013, 1:52pm

Post #11 of 15 (91 views)
Shortcut
Well said [In reply to] Can't Post

the Quest isn't really about gold or greed, but about home and pride, it underscores the dark place that Thorin went to, where he lost sight of the real prize.

and also

Especially since we know already what MF and RA are capable of

My thoughts as well. I also just cannot imagine this, don't really want to Unsure. It's going to be so difficult.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 2 2013, 3:09pm

Post #12 of 15 (99 views)
Shortcut
I am with you Loresilme [In reply to] Can't Post

Change the dictionary entry for bittersweet........just reference this scene.Frown

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2013, 10:09pm

Post #13 of 15 (72 views)
Shortcut
That scene is gonna be a boo hoo fest [In reply to] Can't Post

I will need a ton of tissues. RA in all his acting glory mortally wounded and Freeman as he only can with those looks on his face, his soft voice and conveying the sense of loss with both. I can't wait..well yes I can actually, but no. I want to see it. No I don't..wait..well you get the picture. :)

Thank you for your questions, now sod off and go do something useful -- Martin Freeman, Twitter t 3/1/13

Glaurung63
Lorien

Mar 3 2013, 12:43am

Post #14 of 15 (63 views)
Shortcut
I think so too [In reply to] Can't Post

And Thorins death will rival Boromirs and Theodens so I expect text from the book....or so I hope

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 3 2013, 3:20pm

Post #15 of 15 (73 views)
Shortcut
This is one of Tolkien's most wonderful phrases... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I dearly hope its left in the film. I really think it will be. How else can the relationship between Bilbo and Thorin end? *tearing* This is going to be beautiful and terrible. *sniggle*

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.