Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
some answers

elostirion74
Rohan

Mar 11 2013, 9:46pm

Views: 147
Shortcut
some answers [In reply to] Can't Post

"1. I confess, I find all those "F" names are confusing. Do you suppose Tolkien did that so he could just file them all under "F" when he was writing this? Do you have any tricks for keeping all these characters straight?"

It seems to me that Tolkien liked to use specific words as elements in many namers. Here itīs the element "Fin-" which is prominent. The names of Finwëīs children seem to be based on that of their father, which is not so surprising after all.

I notice that both Fëanor, Fingolfin and Finarfin use the element Fin- in one of their childrenīs names (Curufin, Fingon and Finrod). The rest of the names of their sons and daughter are more individual and varied, perhaps with the exception of Amrod and Amras.

I donīt have any particular tricks for keeping the names straight; some of the names I remember quite easily since they are prominent in the ensuing chapters. Later on itīs often specified to whom someone is related, quite similar to how itīs done in the sagas.

"2. Do you have a favorite name from the cast list Tolkien gives us here? Which of Feanor’s sons would you like to get to know better or have a beer with?"

Iīm most curious about Maedhros and Maglor. Maedhros because heīs the oldest brother and as a consequence probably feels a greater sense of responsibility than the rest of his brothers to balance a sense of loyalty towards his fatherīs house with the needs to maintain good relations with the other princes and princesses among the Noldor. Maglor because he made beautiful songs that it would have been a treat to listen to.

4. I find the Noldor very fascinating with their love of knowledge and making things; their qualities sum up the potential and the distinctiveness of the Elves as a race, since Tolkien always underlined how the Elves are supreme artists. At the same time their thirst for knowledge and their ambitions are more open to exploitation, which is why Melkor later on sees them as a useful and natural tool for his plans.

5. Itīs difficult to imagine creative minds who feel no sense of attachment to the things they make. Possessiveness and guarding things and knowledge jealously and making arms for that very purpose, though, is a different matter. In their early days the Noldor, like the other Elves, seem more eager to communicate and share their crafts and knowledge and itīs a clear sign of decline when they start locking up the works they have made.

Subject User Time
*Silmarillion Discussion: Chapter 5, "Of Eldamar and the Princes of the Eldalie", Part 3 -- Meet the Noldor Cast** weaver Send a private message to weaver Feb 28 2013, 2:28am
    The Quenya alphabet stopped at F CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Feb 28 2013, 3:43am
    The F Words Finwe Send a private message to Finwe Feb 28 2013, 2:52pm
        Jumping ahead to other chapters CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Feb 28 2013, 3:08pm
            That Makes Sense Finwe Send a private message to Finwe Feb 28 2013, 3:15pm
    wait who has fins? is this a Jimmy Buffet song? elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Feb 28 2013, 6:53pm
    More Late Answers sador Send a private message to sador Mar 3 2013, 3:43pm
    a few more comments telain Send a private message to telain Mar 5 2013, 6:39pm
    some answers elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Mar 11 2013, 9:46pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.