Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Plot speculations for DOS
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2013, 5:08am

Post #51 of 64 (427 views)
Shortcut
Sorry we had to start without ya! [In reply to] Can't Post

But come on in the water's fine! and so are the, erm, actors!

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 9:14am

Post #52 of 64 (405 views)
Shortcut
Why does all the fun have to start [In reply to] Can't Post

while I take a break to sleep? Sounds like a good party. As for RA job descriptions, I think I'll take on one of his hair braid clips, one near the front. Then I can swing along happily all day, near his face, hearing his voice......* dreamy glazed look in eyes, voice trails away*....

"Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold"

marillaraina
Rohan

Feb 28 2013, 10:02am

Post #53 of 64 (405 views)
Shortcut
here ya go [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope this is OK to link, it's just from already released bts material, it's the full shot of the dwarves(the main group and the smaller one with Thorin and Dwalin) with the webs.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2m6n8gj.jpg

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 3:16pm

Post #54 of 64 (375 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Only saw it in two pieces, never in one shot.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 3:25pm

Post #55 of 64 (394 views)
Shortcut
Right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahem, yes...back to business...still gigglig thoughSmile Ham Sammy, you really got the party started, so to speakHeart

As far as Thranduil, that's what I was thinking when I first saw Legolas with Orcrist! Talk about keeping the hits coming. It will be a touching if either our Legolas returns Orcrisr to Elrond who places it with Thorin. or whether he does himself. Makes him leagues higher in my mind if so.

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 3:37pm

Post #56 of 64 (367 views)
Shortcut
Oh thank you thank you!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That shot was all-too-brief in the video, giving me insufficient time to obsess over Thorin's Hair. Muchos Mahalos! Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2013, 3:42pm

Post #57 of 64 (380 views)
Shortcut
That would be a terrific touch. [In reply to] Can't Post

If either Elrond or Legolas (I think Legolas) places it with Thorin as Bard does the Arkenstone as well.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Feb 28 2013, 4:53pm

Post #58 of 64 (370 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin has a branch [In reply to] Can't Post

He seems to be missing both his Hammer and axes. Wonder if the spiders took them, or he (and Ori) lost them during out of the Frying pan.

Wait does this mean Dwalin will become and "Oakenshield"? Thorin seems pretty annoyed he took his idea. Tongue

Yes, my username is terrible.

(This post was edited by TheSexyBeard on Feb 28 2013, 4:54pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 5:20pm

Post #59 of 64 (374 views)
Shortcut
Thinking.. "3-Dly"... SheLob was quite CANON-cally correct! ....correct? [In reply to] Can't Post

1 thing missing wass her
dropping down
off of a HUGE Thread..

Bombythinks the arachnoids..in..mirk-Some-Wood
Drop down from behind the audience!!..
on many threads with 1 of PJ's
Overhead
"God-Camera" shots.. With Howard Shorezz'
Freekin'
"Cronenberg"
"Silence of the Lambs" style..
Shivers..(Just another Nightmare Post from
Bomby)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 6:59pm

Post #60 of 64 (348 views)
Shortcut
Wonder if we get some insight into Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

in DOS and TABA. From Appendices it gives no information about Thranduil ever leaving for the Grey Havens, only that he and Celeborn divvy up and rename Mirkwood, Celeborn sticks around for a few years and follows Galadriel, and Legolas leaves ME with Gimli only about 120 years after 3 Rings depart. Legolas never seems to rule the Woodland realm, so presumably Thranduil remains longer than his son.

Is there any more information somewhere, scholar friends?

Wonder if we could see Legolas is a bit of a rebel then, doing things so differently from his father. Especially if he is the one who brings and gives up Orcrist for Thorin.

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 8:03pm

Post #61 of 64 (340 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil and the West [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, this seems an incomplete thread by Tolkien for the Kings of Middle-earth. Since he had never 'gone west' in the first place, you'd think that Thranduil might want to take one of the ships. But I suppose he felt his people were happy in Mirkwood after the whole Rings debacle, and they needed someone to be king, after all. Legolas did quite a lot before he left, since some of the Mirkwood people went to Ithilien, and others journeyed to Gondor to make Minas Tirith more garden-like.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 8:47pm

Post #62 of 64 (487 views)
Shortcut
We can only speculate from Tolkien's poem "The Last Ship" [In reply to] Can't Post

found in the Adventures of Tom Bombadil...

http://ae-lib.org.ua/..._bombadil__en.htm#16

in which the mortal, Firiel, sees a white ship filled with Elven folk sailing West, three of whom are wearing crowns...the most likely candidates would surely be Cirdan, Celeborn and Thranduil...

A ship with golden beak and oar
and timbers white came gliding;
swans went sailing on before,
her tall prow guiding.
Fair folk out of Elvenland
in silver-grey were rowing,
and three with crowns she saw there stand
with bright hair flowing.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2013, 9:32pm

Post #63 of 64 (316 views)
Shortcut
Just to add, of course, that "The Last Ship" is not actually canon... [In reply to] Can't Post

The poem is much older than Tolkien's ideas of Elves in LOTR Original version is from 1934.

In one of one of Tolkien's letters to Pauline Baynes he says that these poems are "pictures seen in a tapestry of antiquity..." He also said that The Man in the Moon Came Down Too Soon and The Last Ship 'must be derived ultimately from Gondor', and that the poems were 'only re-handlings of Southern matter' In other words, he uses the conceit of it being the folklore of a created world - Middle-earth legend not history!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Feb 28 2013, 9:33pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 9:52pm

Post #64 of 64 (325 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the link Eleniel [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never read that before. "bright hair flowing" certainly sounds like it could be Celeborn and Thranduil.

Year still after year flows
down the Seven Rivers;
cloud passes, sunlight glows,
reed and willow quivers
at morn and eve, but never more
westward ships have waded
in mortal waters as before,
and their song has faded.

So it sounds like a very late, if not last journey West.

Here grass fades and leaves fall,
and sun and moon wither,
and we have heard the far call
that bids us journey thither'

And that the ones on the boat held out for a long time and changes in ME before they left. So I guess we can presume Thranduil left later than Legolas.

The stanza where Firiel walks barefoot in the dew reminds me of how they filmed Galadriel walking to the Mirror.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.