Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: Helm's Deep

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 26 2013, 5:24pm

Post #1 of 6 (303 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: Helm's Deep Can't Post

http://www.framecaplib.com/...ages/ttt/ttt0925.htm

Sorry for the delay with the SCOD guys/gals, it's been hectic this week and it's only Tuesday!

Questions are as follows, feel free to answer some, any, all or none of them!

1. What do you think of the design of Helm's Deep in the films? Did it match your own visual expectations or was it different to what you imagined? If different, do you like it more or less than the one you imagined?

2. There is quite a long sequence building up to the fight. How, in your opinion, did PJ build up tension/anticipation in the scenes prior to the battle?

3. On that note, how would you rate the Battle of Helm's Deep sequence as a whole?

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

Nuradar
Rohan

Feb 26 2013, 6:03pm

Post #2 of 6 (166 views)
Shortcut
the Battle of Helm's Deep was terrific [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What do you think of the design of Helm's Deep in the films? Did it match your own visual expectations or was it different to what you imagined? If different, do you like it more or less than the one you imagined?

I thought the design was identical to my imagination in scale and overall appearance, yet sooooo much better in the details. The ramp leading to the main gate, I thought, was simple but elegant, and the ramparts above it were better than I had imagined.

2. There is quite a long sequence building up to the fight. How, in your opinion, did PJ build up tension/anticipation in the scenes prior to the battle?

I thought the build-up was excellent. PJ deftly led us between the women and children (before and after the caves), the main characters, and the rest of the boys/men preparing for battle. Haldir showing up with an army in tow was a nice surprise for me. There was a lot to cover in the build-up scenes, and I think it was done just great. One detail I always enjoy seeing/hearing is the sound of the first several drops of rain hitting the armour of Theoden and his men and then his quick glance upward, reacting to it.

3. On that note, how would you rate the Battle of Helm's Deep sequence as a whole?

I thought it was terrific, overall. Yes, if really want, you can criticize certain parts, but as a whole, I think it's one of the best sequences in all three films. One think I aprpeciate about it, with all the madness going on within it, is that despite all that madness, we can still see each shot with clarity. I find in many action movies/action sequences these days, it's as if the camera is shaking uncontrollably, and all we get to see is a blur (the Transformers movies come to mind). It's a horrible experience and I feel shafted when that happens. PJ really allows us to take in each shot in this sequence in all its glory, and I appreciate that.

Thanks Radagast-Aiwendil,

Nuradar

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 26 2013, 6:08pm

Post #3 of 6 (157 views)
Shortcut
Helm's Deep [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I did not have a very specific mental image of Helm's Deep, so I was pretty happy with this one. It has a nice look of a strongly fortified keep and has enough separate parts to allow for the same sorts of "stages" of the battle as in the book, with the archers, the different types of siege ladders, the blasting of a hole in one of the walls, etc.

2. Overall I liked the buildup. I could take or leave Aragorn's disappearance and dream sequence with Arwen (we skip it when I watch it with the boys...) I felt the aspect of all the townsfolk, the women and the children being there, was somewhat overplayed, but not to a degree that annoyed (in this battle,= - in RotK I sort of felt the PJ-verse's Gondorians deserved extinction... Wink ) There were specific moments that I found very effective - the scene in which Aragorn encourages the youth who has just been issued a sword was one I really liked, and the coming of the Elves. I also liked the decision to give Eowyn some screentime attending to practicalities of the siege and providing leadership to the civilians.

3. Overall I really like this battle in the film, I would be hard-pressed to decide which I like better, it or Pelennor Fields in RotK. It is less spectacular (no flying Nazgul, trebuchets, or Mumakil) but very logical to follow, with great character moments and a beautiful depiction of the end - Theoden's ride out and the arrival or Gandalf with Eomer and his men. I have certainly watched it the most, as it is my sons' favorite bit of the LotR films.

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 27 2013, 1:03am

Post #4 of 6 (135 views)
Shortcut
Overall [In reply to] Can't Post

Two Towers is my favorite of the LOTRs movies. Helm's Deep was perfect and the battle was epic. I likes the way PJ interwove the Aragorn/Arwen romance. Loved the addition of the elves to Helm's Deep. Nobody can really capture the Ents, but this was a good try.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2013, 3:12am

Post #5 of 6 (154 views)
Shortcut
:) awesome ( oh and sorry people about skipping one set of SCOD frames.. I didn't have time :( ) [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I think they matched if not exceeded my imaginations! I did not imagine the uruk-hai to be like that though, so that changes quite a lot in the battle's character.

2. The long build up is classic war film technique. It works!

3. I'd rate Helm's Deep sequence 9/10 as a whole. It was brilliant, but flawed at times too. ..

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Rostron2
Gondor

Mar 1 2013, 8:38pm

Post #6 of 6 (107 views)
Shortcut
Helm's Deep [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, it was pretty darn close to what I thought of it in my head. There was no battle at a fosse or dike further from the walls, but that was okay by me.

I always enjoyed the fact that he got a lot of the crowd noise from footballers in a stadium. The kids and women in caves was a stock tension builder, but it worked. How scary would it be to hear 10-thousand orcs outside?

One of the best fortress assaults ever done on film. The rain, the 'reckless hate'; etc. I wish there had been more emphasis on the Rohirrim defenders than having the elves show up, but it was cool anyway. Since basically every arrow is going to be a hit coming from them, the orc casualties would have been very high. I love the 'indirect fire' segment, too. The cavalry charge at the end of it was good, especially since the sunlight actually was in the eyes of the orcs, who were never fans of the sunlight, regardless of their heritage.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.