Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The so-called 'Nazgul Theme'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

axecrazy
Rivendell

Feb 27 2013, 8:14pm

Post #76 of 85 (160 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm still around. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just keeping my trap shut a bit more is all. Next time I'll think a bit more carefully before starting a thread. I'll check past posts a bit more and do web searches before bringing up a 'new' point. I also need to read the books again before making any assertions. I know them pretty well, but it has been a long time since I read them cover to cover. PJ knows the source material backwards, so I should know it pretty well too before making any criticisms or praising the work they do on the films.

I'm no expert when it comes to music either, but I do pay more attention to movie soundtracks than most people. I love collecting movie soundtracks... but for some bizarre reason I don't seem to have any of the LoTR OSTs in my library. That will soon be rectified. Anyway, thanks for the kind words, but I'm stepping back a bit until I'm on firmer footing.

There's no party like a Dwaven party. Believe it.

(This post was edited by axecrazy on Feb 27 2013, 8:16pm)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 27 2013, 10:33pm

Post #77 of 85 (132 views)
Shortcut
If you're a serious fan of Shore's music... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you would enjoy the detailed analysis of it in the book I cited above, The Music of the Lord of the Rings by Doug Adams. It helps if you have access to a piano or other musical instrument, because the notes of each theme are given, as well as discussions of how they are used and varied, as gkgyver (who is an expert on this music) points out.

axecrazy
Rivendell

Feb 27 2013, 10:41pm

Post #78 of 85 (130 views)
Shortcut
He may be an expert [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't like the way he put it across. I already admitted I was in error. Three times, in fact. Can we drop it now please? Unimpressed And can this thread just die for heavens sake...

There's no party like a Dwaven party. Believe it.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 28 2013, 1:00am

Post #79 of 85 (107 views)
Shortcut
My husband used to sing... [In reply to] Can't Post

the word 'Evil' - over and over and over again to the Ringwraiths theme. So, for him... it meant just 'really really bad guys'. :-)

The Ringwraiths theme gets used a lot with ostinatos that I grouped together as 'Danger Motifs'. So the music certainly exudes evil or danger or dire situation.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 28 2013, 1:11am

Post #80 of 85 (112 views)
Shortcut
you have a lot of catching up to do! [In reply to] Can't Post

... in terms of buying soundtracks. But, if you like chocolate... this is like the candy factory.

There are the OSTs (jewel case editions) of all three.

And the Complete Recordings for all three.

and if you buy Doug's book, the Rarities Archive. (there are more editions than that but those will get you pretty much all the music)

oh, and there's the LOTR Symphony.

As Brethil said, the Hobbit is fair game for speculation. Doug has made a few comments on the music (let me know if you need links) but he's holding off on saying much because discussing it will contain spoilers. So that tells you something right there. Something will happen with a lot of this music in the next two movies that will explain it's being used.

And, if you need info on the LOTR soundtrack to inform your opinions on the Hobbit music... just hit the link in my footer. :-)

and for what it's worth, I'm not an expert in music nor even moderately skilled in music (I can read music only minimally to kind of hack out the semblance of a melody and I kind of know what some musical terms mean). I don't think you need to be a musicologist to study and discuss the score.

Take my phrase, 'I don't mean to be harsh' to be true. I didn't want to come off that way. I just had an epiphany on how protective I was feeling about keeping facts straight on LOTR, especially with all the knowledge that's out there on it. Imagine me as a school marm and then just smile when I get school marmish.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 2:00am

Post #81 of 85 (106 views)
Shortcut
One thing I discovered about soundtrack music [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, and by the way, thanks for posting this thread! I'm sure not an expert, but love picking out the various themes in all the movies Smile

The thing I discovered is, (and Magpie can laugh at me) is that the tracks are recorded as whole pieces of music, but bits are taken out and used in various places. One big example I can think of is "Nature's Reclamation" (also known as Nature's Theme) from the Two Towers. It's the music used when the Ents come out of the woods and march towards Isengard; and also in the Muster of Rohan and the beginning of the attack of the Pelennor Fields; as well as other places in little bits (the Moth). I played the whole track for my husband, and all he could say was "it's the same thing over and over!" On the other hand, I've watched the movies so often that I could figure out which variation goes with which scene; I can hear the variations in each repeated part while all he could hear is the same thing. I think it's the same thing with the music you mentioned, it's probably recorded as a whole track with variations but parts are used in different places: The Battle of Dagorlad, the attack at the Prancing Pony, Thorin's confrontation with Azog. The track may have an official name, but used for different scenes.

Whew! I hope that makes sense! I really like your idea of a "Showdown" theme as that's where it seems to be used, even though it's called something else. Although...it is an interesting choice for the showdown as it is very reminiscent of the Nazgul and Mordor...and prompts people to ask questions...which makes for a great discussion.

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

cats16
Valinor

Feb 28 2013, 2:06am

Post #82 of 85 (99 views)
Shortcut
Here's a question [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry if this has been said already, but I'm typing in a rush- I've noticed while listening to the AUJ soundtrack that Galadriel's theme during the White Council section (correct?) seems to be, more or less, an angelic, elvish version of the Mordor/Sauron theme. I never really noticed it in LOTR.

Someone with more extensive time spent listening to these themes...cough..cough..Magpie: are my ears deceiving me, or is this correct?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 28 2013, 3:01am

Post #83 of 85 (94 views)
Shortcut
I've noticed something similar (we need Magpie! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a theme in LoTR, I think it's called History of the Ring? It sounds very similar to a theme with a sinister overtone that I equate with Mordor/the Nazgul--it plays when they show Barad-dur right before we hear Gollum being tortured, and also after Gandalf brings out the Morgul blade in the White Council in AUJ.

That is interesting about Galadriel's theme being a variation of the Mordor/Sauron theme, I'll have to listen to it again! Thanks!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

cats16
Valinor

Feb 28 2013, 5:01am

Post #84 of 85 (88 views)
Shortcut
You bet! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Súlimë
Rivendell

Feb 28 2013, 6:24am

Post #85 of 85 (92 views)
Shortcut
Glad I'm not alone :P [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Ringwraith theme sounds a lot like Orff's O Fortuna, and we've all been unconsciously conditioned to associate it with 'evil'.

I remember the first time I heard it in full when the Ringwraiths ride out of Minas Morgul in FotR, with the black and sickly-green aesthetics, I was quite joyously going "Yes! This is how you portray evil!" It was one of the most impressive moments in FotR for me, I think. :)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.