Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
This version verses the extended version?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 26 2013, 2:58pm

Post #26 of 42 (226 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Stuart Townsend can finally reclaim the throne of Gondor ;)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 26 2013, 3:14pm

Post #27 of 42 (225 views)
Shortcut
Adult Aragorn should already be gone from Rivendell... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Isn't he in his twenties when Bilbo is in Rivendell? That would mean they'd have to use the same actor, who is now much older than he was even in LOTR.

Yes; due to time-compression in FotR, film-Aragorn should theoretically be 25 years old or older when Thorin and Company stop to rest in Rivendell. That creates an even bigger problem for including him, Aragorn was supposed to have left Rivendell at age 20 after learning of his past and meeting Arwen for the first time. Intriguingly, though, Aragorn was also supposed to have first met Gandalf when he was in his twenty-fifth year. That suggests a completely different way to incorporate Aragorn into Peter Jackson's The Hobbit films.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lindele
Gondor

Feb 26 2013, 3:48pm

Post #28 of 42 (207 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be something

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 26 2013, 4:16pm

Post #29 of 42 (215 views)
Shortcut
How's this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo wandering comes across Narsil.. Reaches?
Elrond appears...out of the Shadows. .

Says "Don't touch that!"
Biilbo says "what is it?"
( music builds)

" long ago this was NARSIL... The blade that cut the ONE..Ring""
"What is a... 1 ring?"
" there are many magic rings in Middle Earth
But there WAS?... 1... to rule all"
(Behind Hugo is Alan Lee's Mural)
(Cue The Ring's Theme)...

... Bomby.. so much wants to have his Spine..
to chill......

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 26 2013, 4:17pm

Post #30 of 42 (207 views)
Shortcut
I'm trying to find the original source for you (no luck at the moment!) / [In reply to] Can't Post

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2013, 4:27pm

Post #31 of 42 (213 views)
Shortcut
Was it mentioned in the audio interview [In reply to] Can't Post

that Philippa Boyens did with Empire?

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 26 2013, 4:37pm

Post #32 of 42 (202 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Here it is: link

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2013, 5:42pm

Post #33 of 42 (194 views)
Shortcut
That's a great interview. [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, if you subscribe to their podcast (free on iTunes), they did a series of episodes devoted to AUJ , and they're all fantastic. Which reminds me-- Digital Gonzo also did an amazing series not just on AUJ, but also on the entire LotR trilogy EE in preperation of AUJ's release (as well as a couple others dedicated to ephemera like the score, book/movie differences, and the animated films). It's British as well, and is not only extremely in-depth, but a lot of fun to listen to.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 26 2013, 10:22pm

Post #34 of 42 (171 views)
Shortcut
A scene somewhat along those lines was filmed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure that Elrond was it it or what dialogue it may include, but we have seen an image of Bilbo looking at the remains of Narsil.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Feb 26 2013, 10:33pm

Post #35 of 42 (172 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Philippa Boyens mentionned it in the Empire podcast.

I've definatly heard about it somewhere.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2013, 11:48pm

Post #36 of 42 (159 views)
Shortcut
Yup, [In reply to] Can't Post

there's a link just above.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Feb 27 2013, 7:35pm

Post #37 of 42 (108 views)
Shortcut
well spotted [In reply to] Can't Post

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 27 2013, 10:03pm

Post #38 of 42 (101 views)
Shortcut
This was also on my mind. I think it best suited to EE An Unexpected [In reply to] Can't Post

I think 25 minutes as a maximum seems a little scanty for a second, higher priced purchase of the film. That said, this scene to me will likely make it in, but it wouldn't fit as well in Desolation of Smaug, and frankly, as it is MUCH more defiant of cannon than the Dol Guldur scene, I would rather it not appear in the theatrical releases anyway (as opposed to Dol Guldur, which needs to be in those). I think any Thrain flashback (because of its importance), and the Dol Guldur scenes will both figure particularly and with prominence into Desolation of Smaug. AND I CERTAINLY hope that any confrontation the Gray Wizard may have with The Nine Nazgul is saved for Dol Guldur and not wasted in The High Fells.

THe Fells, being less relevant, and really only a further incentive for Gandalf to explore Dol Guldur.

Thus, I think the extended version of the first film will consist of added scenes of Gandalf's interaction with Bilbo during the hobbit's childhood, more Rivendell material, and the inclusion of The Fells between Rivendell and The Misty Mountains.

In Reply To
How about the stuff regarding the Nazgul tombs? Not that I'm absolutely dying to see scenes from a completely made-up storyline, but apparently it was kind of a substantial scene. Can't imagine them saving it for film 2, as they're already over the Misty Mountains at that point. And I can't imagine them totally trashing it either, although that seems more likely than moving it to DoS. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2013, 2:17am

Post #39 of 42 (76 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

"I think 25 minutes as a maximum seems a little scanty for a second, higher priced purchase of the film."

Not so much for the price, as the hours and hours of documentaries will be more than worth it. I'm more concerned that there won't be enough new scenes to "fix" what i see as the most problematic episode of Jackson's Middle-earth saga. Because i'm definitely of the mind that the EE improved ALL of the LotR films (to varying degrees, of course, TT being the most improved and RotK the least, though i believe it was definitely helped). And all three of those movies were already great in their theatrical editions. So if AUJ is the least of the Middle-earth films so far, theatrical or extended (it's still good, mind), then it potentially has the most to benefit from the EE. And if there's only 20 minutes added, i fear that won't be enough. I'm hoping for at least 25 (and 30 would be fantastic).

But the question is moot, really, as the extended cut was finished long ago.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Feb 28 2013, 2:22am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 28 2013, 8:14am

Post #40 of 42 (72 views)
Shortcut
The documentaries don't do much for me. Either I liked the end product, or [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't. I don't want the magic ruined by hours of green screen, and if I loved, liked, disliked or hated a choice they made, that sentiment is unlikely to change based on an explication in interview footage.

Fellowship was so VASTLY improved by the Extended scenes that I wish it had been the theatrical version.

The Two Towers Extended worked for what it was. Not enough improvement, in my mind, to merit theatrical screening over the original, but also containing a lot of positive and no real negatives. I do wish the TreeBeard poem scene had been used to highlight the MUCH more powerful Willow Meads of Tsarinon. Using any other poem of his was a waste. That poem speaks to the whole theme of loss and change, and I think it was a horrible mistep to not work it in, rather than merely throwing in a ramble to make Treebeard seem more longwinded.

Return of the King. . . I cannot stomach it at all, due to the scene erroneously inserted between Gandalf and The Witch-King. It just ruins it for me, and I thank God it wasn't in the theatrical.

In Reply To
"I think 25 minutes as a maximum seems a little scanty for a second, higher priced purchase of the film."

Not so much for the price, as the hours and hours of documentaries will be more than worth it. I'm more concerned that there won't be enough new scenes to "fix" what i see as the most problematic episode of Jackson's Middle-earth saga. Because i'm definitely of the mind that the EE improved ALL of the LotR films (to varying degrees, of course, TT being the most improved and RotK the least, though i believe it was definitely helped). And all three of those movies were already great in their theatrical editions. So if AUJ is the least of the Middle-earth films so far, theatrical or extended (it's still good, mind), then it potentially has the most to benefit from the EE. And if there's only 20 minutes added, i fear that won't be enough. I'm hoping for at least 25 (and 30 would be fantastic).

But the question is moot, really, as the extended cut was finished long ago.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2013, 2:29pm

Post #41 of 42 (68 views)
Shortcut
While i do prefer all of the EEs, Gandalf vs. the Witch King is a sticking point. [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene *looks* awesome, and i love that they showed the confrontation-- if they'd just not had him break his staff...

Everything else in the EEs is golden. In FotR, the extra scenes are cool (especially Gandalf's black speech at the Council of Elrond, and Frodo and Sam seeing the elves), but they don't alter the film too much. In RotK, the extra scenes really help the time between Pelennor and The Black Gate, making it seem like more than just a few hours of travel occur (and i love the Mouth of Sauron!). TT, however, changed drastically for me, especially the Frodo/Sam/Gollum stuff, but everything really. In the TE, i always felt all the travel stuff was a bit of a slog, all point A to point B (especially Emyn Muil). But in the EE, with all the extra character bits, it seems much more purposeful, less rushed. I get more of a sense of just why these characters are doing what they're doing. The whole movie is lighter, more fun.

The Two Towers TE was my least favorite of the three films, the EE is my most.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Feb 28 2013, 2:35pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2013, 4:18pm

Post #42 of 42 (69 views)
Shortcut
Also, [In reply to] Can't Post

the documentaries don't chage the way i view the films, i just love watching behind the scenes stuff, and have since i watched The Making of Raiders of the Lost Ark when it first ran on t.v. in 1981 (and read Starlog magazine obsessively around the same time). If the EEs only had 3 minutes of extra footage, i would still buy them for the docs.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.