Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit will go 0 for 3
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Elenorflower
Gondor

Feb 26 2013, 10:41pm

Post #126 of 131 (125 views)
Shortcut
I dont find Thorin despicable [In reply to] Can't Post

in the book, I actually prefer him to 'perfect' film Thorin. Book Thorin is more.. er..human, I like his fumbling grumbling nature, it makes his end even more poignant and tragic.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Feb 26 2013, 10:42pm)

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 26 2013, 10:51pm

Post #127 of 131 (114 views)
Shortcut
I don't find film Thorin perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

by any stretch of the imagination. Just goes to show ya....everyone has their own perspective on things. And we have yet to see his descent into darkness, so I believe the end will be tragic, however you view him.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 26 2013, 11:15pm

Post #128 of 131 (109 views)
Shortcut
Me either [In reply to] Can't Post

Far from perfect, he is indeed very flawed which we are going to see here soon. I do find film Thorin much more engaging than I do book Thorin in general. I look forward to the rest of the story.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 27 2013, 5:54am

Post #129 of 131 (83 views)
Shortcut
ROTK and Hobbit have nothing to do with each other [In reply to] Can't Post

First, awards shouldn't be about turns but about what or who deserves wins.

Next, techniques, technology and technicians were not the same on the two films. This Hobbit stuff isn't a continuation of those films. This is a new production. Sadly, I think Oscar voters think it is the same as well.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

jtarkey
Rohan

Feb 27 2013, 6:15am

Post #130 of 131 (70 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

They have a ton to do with each other. I'm sorry, and I don't mean this to sound rude, but how are they not related?

Same author: check
Same director: check
Two hand fulls of the same actors: check
Same studio: check
Same conceptual artists: check
Same writers: check

They are certainly in the same story, albeit a different portion. Most of the people involved already won academy awards. Unfortunately, the academy is made up of people, who form biases and judge a lot of films based on relevancy and trends. The Hobbit is already not nearly as highly regarded as LOTR. A lot of people have problems with the film, versus the minute amount of people who had problems with LOTR.

Whether or not the academy will award any of The Hobbit films with Oscars is yet to be seen. I would argue though that LOTR and The Hobbit are highly related to each other, and the story, and people who worked on the original trilogy were awarded record breaking status.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Elenorflower
Gondor

Feb 27 2013, 1:35pm

Post #131 of 131 (69 views)
Shortcut
you are probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have only seen Thorin as the cliche tortured hero type who likes to stand around looking brooding, noble and handsome. I havent actually seen any of his personality yet apart from some unaccountable negativity towards Bilbo. It isnt actually explained why he is against Bilbo so much, which makes it lack depth. Hopefully they will give him some personality later.

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Feb 27 2013, 1:36pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.