Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tonight, I'm seeing The Hobbit:AUJ one last time in HFR 3D

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2013, 7:59pm

Post #1 of 18 (553 views)
Shortcut
Tonight, I'm seeing The Hobbit:AUJ one last time in HFR 3D Can't Post

I think this is the last weekend it will be in theaters, where I live. Even though it's a very late showing I just have to see it one more time before it exits it's theater run. Laugh This will make my 8th and final trip for Part 1 and then I'm going to hold out for the Extended Edition (3D BluRay SteelBook fingers crossed)Laugh
For me, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and now The Hobbit have been my Star Wars experience (without the negative connotations that may associate). Thanks again to PJ and Co. for giving me another chance to return to Middle Earth (the movie version). I love every minute of it and can't wait for Parts 2 and 3! And thanks to tORN for a diverse community of avid book and movie enthusiasts. Looking forward to sharing the next 2 installments with all of you.

Have a great rest of your weekend, everyone!

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Feb 23 2013, 8:00pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 23 2013, 9:51pm

Post #2 of 18 (301 views)
Shortcut
Amen! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love all the movies, warts and all, and I love the TORN community and look forward to journeying with all of us as we continue the ride. Movies are so much better experiences when you have a dynamite fandom and fansites and groups like this. Best out there.

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 24 2013, 1:29am

Post #3 of 18 (256 views)
Shortcut
You still have HFR?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hadn't gotten to see it in that format for a month. But they are still showing it in 3D, which I will see tomorrow. We'll see if it's the last time. Since the DVD is coming out in a few weeks, it just might be. Frown

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 1:37am

Post #4 of 18 (251 views)
Shortcut
Strangely enough, it is still available... [In reply to] Can't Post

where I live in the USA.

I think this is the last weekend for HFR though. Have fun at your next viewing!

Smile

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 24 2013, 1:40am

Post #5 of 18 (233 views)
Shortcut
You do the same! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 6:04am

Post #6 of 18 (215 views)
Shortcut
The closest theatre still showing is down to two times [In reply to] Can't Post

from three last week. The curtain call is coming.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 24 2013, 11:14am

Post #7 of 18 (189 views)
Shortcut
You are so lucky! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in 3D HFR last Wednesday, probably for the last time in this format.

I notice it is showing in 3D in a big central London cinema and I'll have to see it in that format this week, though I don't like the ordinary 3D as much as I do the HFR 3D. That will be about my tenth or eleventh time I've lost count, so it may be more.

Shame about the short run, especially in 3D HFR. Unimpressed

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 24 2013, 11:21am

Post #8 of 18 (190 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping to see it this weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

But no local cinema is showing it anymore. Unsure

It's gone so quick! All those years of waiting for The Hobbit. And now it's been and gone!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 1:44pm

Post #9 of 18 (169 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. Not many left. Time to go check... [In reply to] Can't Post

it out, folks, if you are wanting to see it one last time before it leaves theaters.

Smile

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 1:49pm

Post #10 of 18 (168 views)
Shortcut
I know, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was shocked that HFR 3D was still available.

I loved the 2D version and never did see it in in 3D 24fps... HFR was my favorite so I decided to go one more time.

There were 11 people for a 10:40pm showing (pretty cool if you ask me) and I think they were all repeat viewers like myself. Blush

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 1:52pm

Post #11 of 18 (170 views)
Shortcut
Theater runs are definitely more abbreviated... [In reply to] Can't Post

today, indeed. What with BluRays, digital streaming and download services as new and plentiful revenue streams...

It's pretty amazing that Part 1 has grossed what it has in such an abbreviated run and shrinking screen availability,

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 24 2013, 2:22pm

Post #12 of 18 (166 views)
Shortcut
The thing is [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
today, indeed. What with BluRays, digital streaming and download services as new and plentiful revenue streams...

It's pretty amazing that Part 1 has grossed what it has in such an abbreviated run and shrinking screen availability,

For me seeing a film at home on a TV or computer is just not the same as seeing it on a big screen in the cinema. The experience is so much more immersive when a film is watched on a big screen and you can experience the far better sound it is especially immersive in the 48 HFR when it comes to the Hobbit.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 2:40pm

Post #13 of 18 (165 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I definitely prefer the immersive nature of massive screens, dynamic/rich/clear projection, true surround sound, as well as a respectful community with which to share the experience.

Even now, the tech is getting even better with the advent of laser projection and the move to 4K cinema.

However, I think what makes movie going not as immersive are rude patrons, antiquated seating models, exorbitant food prices (brought on by skewed profit sharing), food quality, food selection, and ultimately the minimal risk in movie making today, because bean counting has unfortunately supplanted creativity in many cases.

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 24 2013, 5:49pm

Post #14 of 18 (148 views)
Shortcut
About to have my 8th viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Giving 3D a try. I don't expect to be able to see it exactly right but ya never know. This is an IMAX 3D but not HFR.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 6:30pm

Post #15 of 18 (135 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! Have fun :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 25 2013, 2:42am

Post #16 of 18 (121 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! It was ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting. I see now what folks mean when they say it was fantastic, blurry, dark, etc. some of the scenes are fantastic in IMAX 3D such as The Company on the ponies when Bilbo catches up to them, the fight with the trolls, blunt the knives, and more. But I also had quite a bit of trouble seeing some of it due to the darkness and the blurrriness. If they do the next one in HFR I'll give that a go but I might have to just stick with 2D due to the limitations of my eyesight.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Rostron2
Gondor

Feb 25 2013, 5:04pm

Post #17 of 18 (93 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing it at home is okay at best,and on some little screen is completely pointless for me.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 25 2013, 11:11pm

Post #18 of 18 (86 views)
Shortcut
You must try and see it in 3D 48 HFR! [In reply to] Can't Post

I quite liked the 2D version, but thought the 3D 48 HFR was absolutely fantastic so immersive. I've seen it in the latter eight or nine times, and once each in 2D and 3D. The 3D was a mistake dark and blurry as you say, and worse than 2D.

In Reply To
Interesting. I see now what folks mean when they say it was fantastic, blurry, dark, etc. some of the scenes are fantastic in IMAX 3D such as The Company on the ponies when Bilbo catches up to them, the fight with the trolls, blunt the knives, and more. But I also had quite a bit of trouble seeing some of it due to the darkness and the blurrriness. If they do the next one in HFR I'll give that a go but I might have to just stick with 2D due to the limitations of my eyesight.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.