Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Balancing adult/child appeal in films 2/3
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 3:31am

Post #26 of 35 (216 views)
Shortcut
Pure Slapstick [In reply to] Can't Post

might be limited to AUJ, and as you suggest get more serious as the journey goes on. I like the tone, not necessarily all the comedy, but if it draws people in then I think its worthwhile overall. Can't see much use for a booger device in DOS. I'm afraid the pipeweed jokes are a fixed item. Some drinking gags in the Elvenking's palace undoubtedly. The Bombur humor is canon, and harmless, so I am looking forward to that.

Thats A LOT of TWD. I did a marathon about half that size in the middle of season 2 to get caught up. Whew. Hope everyone better soon.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 3:39am

Post #27 of 35 (216 views)
Shortcut
Yes I think DoS does lend itself to some humor [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil's pad, the barrel's, Beorn's house, Bombur's famous yet inadvertent power nap in Mirkwood. All of that lends itself i think to some humor. I hope we dont get some of what we got in AUJ but I do think you need some humor nonetheless. The opportunity for humor in TABA absent the very end if they show them back in The Shire just isn't there so much. I am looking forward to what happens and I think PJ will make great use of it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 3:49am

Post #28 of 35 (209 views)
Shortcut
ah yes barrels! [In reply to] Can't Post

that should be a lot of fun! From the production video they seemed to have a blast making that scene too. Humor in TABA will probably be a relief, allowing us to breathe again and maybe leave the theater with a shred of dignity. Probably any humor will be during the auction, and I think that will be fine too and not over the top.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 24 2013, 3:50am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 3:57am

Post #29 of 35 (211 views)
Shortcut
The Auction! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. Well said and a welcome relief that will be. Okay that will be a hoot. I can't wait for that.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 5:43am

Post #30 of 35 (207 views)
Shortcut
books and films and kids' views [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
If you think about a lot of kid's books, not just old ones (Grimm tales) but new ones (Harry Potter), they are hardly places of sunshine and lollipops. Lots of nasty things happen. I don't see them toning that down here (except with ponies--and hedgehogs).

In Reply To

Books are one thing, films another. I know that a lot of children's books from the Victorian period have pretty scary illustrations of Goblins and other nasty critters (think Arthur Rackham, for example), and the stories can also be quite scary.

The visual influence is, however, much more powerful in films, and you can't skip pages if you don't like something when watching a film.

I'm glad the ponies did not appear to be killed in AUJ, and I truly hope Beorn's people will not be shown being killed especially not in bear form.

I taught an art class in which a nine year old girl spoke to me about books we were both familiar with: Cornelia Funke's Inkheart trilogy. The kid had "read it" on an audio book, but not seen the film. I had both read the books and seen the film. Inkheart (and Inkspell & Inkdeath) are classic faerie tale (the basic premise being a storyteller who can literally bring classic literature to life when he reads aloud). The kid said something about when you read the book, you can imagine it any way you like, your imagery is limited by your experience, so the gory bits, the scary bits are limited by your own imagination. Film makes those images real and present, and too intense for younger or more sensitive "readers".

I note that The Hobbit got grimmer as the tale progressed, then lightens up again at the end. I can just see Prof Tolkien starting to tell this tale as a bedtime tale.. then his wider world of Middle
Earth starts seeping in around the edges... then the deeper darker themes emerge...

I suspect the films will balance this all nicely.

Go outside and play...

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 24 2013, 5:51am

Post #31 of 35 (202 views)
Shortcut
Yes it will be interesting indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

especially considering that the story itself gets darker and more serious, less singing and laughable moments. Well, except for the wood elves, who sing these silly (IMO) songs. I really hope they aren't going to sing. Please. The dwarves, in the other hand, have another really nice song that I hope they include part of in the next film! Another Misty Mountains type song - serious and deep.

I noticed that in this film there isn't a whole lot of orc blood being shown on the swords etc. I suspect it's intentional, given that this is meant to include a lot of younger audiences. I don't miss it, really. (We get more than enough blood and guts being shown graphically in practically every other movie out there.)

Just a side note: I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I had a thought today (on my 22nd viewing) watching Thorin lose his oak shield when the eagle rescued him. Beorn in the book goes to check out the dwarves' story about being beseiged by orcs while they sleep at his house, so maybe he finds Thorin's shield and brings it back (I hope) to Thorin in the film.

I think TABA will make everyone weep, both children and adults alike! For parents who don't know the story, this may come as quite a shock. As I mentioned elsewhere, I think it will be a moment of Shakespearean proportions, and equally as heartbreaking.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

axecrazy
Rivendell

Feb 24 2013, 2:46pm

Post #32 of 35 (163 views)
Shortcut
the prologue [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the intense prologue made it crystal clear that these films are not for kids under 13. I'm surprised Smaug's attack hasn't been classified as "Nightmare Fuel" on the TV Tropes Hobbit page. And just to hammer the point home, PJ gave us the Battle of Azanulbizar in all its gory details. No, not for kids is 'The Hobbit'. Let us hope it stays that way. There will probably be a bit less humour from here on in, though. TABA will have almost none methinks.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 3:14pm

Post #33 of 35 (154 views)
Shortcut
And it is rated PG13... [In reply to] Can't Post

I myself think around 10 would be a good starting point. I could see some kids as young as 7 or 8 being able to handle it, but i think most kids over 10 or 11 would be fine. I was recently at a screening with a girl of probably 9 years sitting right behind me, and she seemed fine, and was in good spirits throughout. Like always gets said in these sorts of discussions, it all comes down to the individual.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 24 2013, 3:30pm

Post #34 of 35 (139 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

"Not for kids" is too strong a statement. It's targeted specifically for them (or they would have shot for a PG rating at most!) but that does not mean they are not considering them in making the movie. I'd say they are aiming at a movie a family would feel comfortable going together to see (unless there are children who are sensitive/quite young). My sons (8 and 10) enjoyed the movie and were not unduly frightened by it. There is violence and jeopardy, and it is shown, but not too graphically, and I would be shocked if that changed, because I think the filmmakers will be aiming at the PG-13 rating for all three parts.

To me the humor is not about making the movie "less scary", or "less violent". It is about making the movie enjoyable for a wider audience. My kids loved the Dwarves and the humor relating to them, and thus were drawn into the story and cared what would happen to these characters they liked. Neither (at 8 and 10) found it disturbing or frightening after their viewings of it. I would not take them to a PG-13 James Bond sort of film primarily because I think they would get bored. There are similar levels of jeopardy and violence, but nothing to hook their interest, yet.

Clifton8
The Shire

Feb 25 2013, 1:51pm

Post #35 of 35 (112 views)
Shortcut
Let's consider the rating system... [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't forget what "PG" stands for in PG-13. For this rating, viewers should be at least 13 years of age, yes. But also, viewers may be younger IF they are accompanied by an adult or parent. This means that children who are younger than 13 may view the film according to the parents' opinion of whether a particular child may handle the content or not. In essence, the rating system has left the decision for younger viewers up to parents and adults. IMO this is the best solution, as someone stated earlier, it all depends on individual children. Some are older for their age, and some younger.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.