Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ah That's a Way to Spend a Thursday afternoon!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Feb 24 2013, 1:02am

Post #26 of 37 (146 views)
Shortcut
This thread is making me want to see it again [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only seen it twice (bills, young kids) and the last time was before New Year's. But I saw each of the LOTR movies several times in the theater and I miss that experience. 10 years later I can still remember some tiny insignificant details from those viewings. The wait for the blu ray is killing me. I think they pulled it from theaters too quick. I was planning to go one more time but it wasn't showing in 3D anymore, and then a week or two later it was completely gone. I also wish I could have gotten to see it in HFR more than once. The closest place was 50 minutes away. I'm going to have to make up for not seeing it in the theater many times by watching it 3 times the first week the blu ray comes out.

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 24 2013, 1:41am

Post #27 of 37 (155 views)
Shortcut
Even though I have trademarked Kaminsky Vision, it is open to all on TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably because it isn't really trademarked, but still...

Now I will have to find a way to go back and watch Nori. I hope that he gets more to do in the next two, but there are going to be a lot more characters filling up screen time at that point. I'm afraid the dwarves who aren't Thorin/Fili/Kili/maybe Balin will suffer.

As for the poster, I'd like to think I was good, but it was probably fear of getting in trouble.

In Reply To
I looked at Bombur"s face instead...so funny!

I went to 2 views actively using your darned trademarked Kazinsky vision. Now I'm trying to turn it off!!!!!!!!

Today I had Nori-vision. Noticed him a lot being a really tough and on-the-spot fighter. And right after he makes the "collared" comment he reaches out his arm to Thorin, seeing he's angry, I think to try to slow down Thorin and explain why Bilbo dropped back and to defend him (just a guess, because when Thorin goes off on Bilbo Nori looks so sad.) I never noticed that before.

And the Nesbitt-vision is always on. He is just amazing.
Yeah these Orcs have SPF 75 goin on. Hope they all get skin cancer.

I THINK I see Bolg. Check my response to Imin....not positive, but soon we will have screen shots to debate til our hearts content.Smile (24 days. Just saying)

You are a good person for not nabbing the poster. It sounds lovely!

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 3:18am

Post #28 of 37 (139 views)
Shortcut
I want to go at least once more [In reply to] Can't Post

I know he DVD countdown (because its on my calendar. haha) is clicking away but I was aiming for 13 big screen views. One more to go,,,and there is STILL something I want to see closer. After Balin says "We number just 13....not the best, nor brightest.." and everyone gets worked up it looks like Bombur actually might be SAYING something. Its so fast....maybe on Monday again to check.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 24 2013, 3:22am

Post #29 of 37 (135 views)
Shortcut
Well, he's certainly [In reply to] Can't Post

muttering there, but I haven't been able to distinguish his voice from everyone else's muttering. The only place I can really hear him is in Goblin Town, when he is yelling "ahhhhh!" as he runs down a walkway with about 4 goblins hanging on him. So he's not mute, even if he doesn't have a solo line in this film. Smile

Silverlode

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 3:56am

Post #30 of 37 (134 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yelling, running [In reply to] Can't Post

and smacking goblins with that giant ladleSmile. No I haven't ever heard his speaking voice either, among all the others. Was hoping if I catch it right when the camera cuts to him can maybe lip read a bit.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Feb 24 2013, 3:57am)

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 24 2013, 5:10am

Post #31 of 37 (131 views)
Shortcut
In from viewing #22! [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, I did notice Bombur's face during Ori's belch this time. I also saw how, after Ori stood up and said he'd give Smaug a taste of his dwarvish iron, Dori not only told him to sit down, but patted his hand. Cute. I didn't see Bolg at the battle, but I have to admit, I was totally focused on Thorin. Again.

I've decided after this my 22nd viewing, that my favorite bit of dialogue in the entire film is Bilbo's little speech to Thorin as to why he came back and didn't run away. And it was understandable why Thorin thought he'd flown the coop, since the last time Thorin knew of Bilbo was when they were sleeping in the cave and he overheard the exchange between Bilbo and Bofur, and at that time Bilbo was sneaking off to return to Rivendell.

But getting back to Bilbo's little speech to Thorin. I think Martin Freeman deserves an Oscar for that one scene alone! What he said was beautifully written to be sure, but it was Freeman's delivery of it that was absolutely magnificent. His facial expressions, his pauses, his gestures, his intonations, the way he conveyed so much in so little time was just incredible. Freeman has always been a master of understated, subtle acting, and this is just another example of how well he does it. This was a major turning point for Bilbo himself I think, not just reacting to being considered a coward, but coming to the realization that he truly wanted to help the dwarves reclaim their homeland, no matter what it took. (oh, I can't stop myself....here goes: it took a Took!...okay, you can now return to your regularly scheduled programming.)

Now that the theater is playing it three times a day instead of once (go figure!), I went to the earliest show, around noontime, and there were only about a dozen people in the screening room. The other week that I went when it was only playing once a day, there were at least fifty people there. Maybe the later afternoon and evening shows will get better attendance. BTW I suspect everyone there today had already seen it at least once, if not more times. Repeat offenders, like myself! Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 3:32pm

Post #32 of 37 (105 views)
Shortcut
it took a Took...! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh that's simply priceless!!!!! Smile

22! Very Imressive!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 4:08pm

Post #33 of 37 (106 views)
Shortcut
22 nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's awesome. I agree on Freeman too.

I love the play between Freeman and Armitage in that scene. Bilbo's confidently stepping out from behind the tree, his "No, He's not" (To Thorin's He's long Gone). I love it when he says that and yes the dialogue that follows. I love the confidence in his face (you just have to love the 1,000 faces of Martin Freeman). I also love the camera work back and forth between RA and MF in that whole scene. Bilbo's facial expressions and intonations. His now growing confidence in himself and RA's subtle acknowledgement with his eyes only as Bilbo says "I will help you take it back if I can". Great job there. .

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 24 2013, 4:31pm

Post #34 of 37 (103 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin in that scene [In reply to] Can't Post

We see him from the back but I think he's absolutely GLARING at Bilbo - and MF does that little "aahaha" and points at him.....without answering. Perfect.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 4:43pm

Post #35 of 37 (95 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it when he points. I love that. That is just too rich. That whole scene is so fun. I also like how Thorin subtley changes the conversation from "how" did you survive the goblins to "why did he come back".

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 24 2013, 4:52pm

Post #36 of 37 (112 views)
Shortcut
Yes, which tells me again something of Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love it when he points. I love that. That is just too rich. That whole scene is so fun. I also like how Thorin subtley changes the conversation from "how" did you survive the goblins to "why did he come back".

Like in the dialogue between Thorin and Balin at Bag End, it seems Thorin is not so concerned about physical ability as he is motivations; he was not so much wondering 'how' Bilbo came back, but 'why'. Speaks well of Thorin, I think, and it's a subtle thing that's being shown to us about his character.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 6:52pm

Post #37 of 37 (126 views)
Shortcut
I really am loving PJ's Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

He is a perfect character set with Bilbo. You are so right, the fact that he was more concerned with why Bilbo came back rather than how he did it. Thorin is concerned about motivation and loyalty. And I love how RA uses his eyes to acknowledge that in that scene.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.