Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dwarves and personalities
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 22 2013, 4:29am

Post #26 of 35 (332 views)
Shortcut
Crazy? Whuhhhh...? [In reply to] Can't Post

A dwarf walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.
=)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 6:08am

Post #27 of 35 (304 views)
Shortcut
The Ridiculously Lovely Hat... [In reply to] Can't Post

halfway down the page... an ode to The Hat.

http://www.swordwhale.com/im-lol-dris.html

I thought I was the only insane one who thought this costume design should achieve a few dozen oscars, but Nooooooooooooooo, all over the interwebs fangirls are buying up ushankas and musher hats or making their own...

mine: http://www.swordwhale.com/well-that-coulda-been-worse.html

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 6:12am

Post #28 of 35 (297 views)
Shortcut
where were we....??????? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh... Ro said it.

I have been a tollkien fan since 1978, when I read LOTR. And identified with the Elves.

And drew... Elves.

And wrote...Elves.

And did D&D and other roleplaying games as... an Elf.

And did living history... as a stealth Elf.

Never much for the Hobbit, OK, it's Tolkien, but...

Then PJ and crew did this film, and those 13 amazing actors did those 13 amazing Dwarves...

Sigh.

Ro said it.

I think they're all wonderful, hope we see more of the ones who haven't had a chance to be front and center yet.

And I wonder if we'll ever see Bofur without the Hat.

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 6:17am

Post #29 of 35 (303 views)
Shortcut
but wait, there's more... [In reply to] Can't Post

Has anyone thought about the character arcs these guys will make by TABA?

OK, we know the spoilers. I felt the need to do two Pinterest boards on it... http://pinterest.com/swordwhale/oakenshields-a-celebration-of-fictional-life/

http://pinterest.com/swordwhale/oakenshields-2-the-final-chapter/

I can see Ori growing into that mace he aquired, and growing up a bit toward the scribe and adventurer he is when he goes to Moria.

I can see Balin and Dwalin being heavily affected by Thorin, the dragon sickness, and the events of TBO5A.

I wonder how Bifur, Bofur and Bombur will deral with Thorin in TABA... they are sort of the outsiders here.

And I hope Bofur doesn't lose his wonderful Magical Child archetypal quality; he's kind of the light in the dark, full of faith and hope...

Go outside and play...

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 22 2013, 10:53am

Post #30 of 35 (282 views)
Shortcut
Didn't mean to be a thief! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks. Smile Neat that you still spotted new things about Thorin after so many viewings. That just speaks to how much wonderful detail there is to catch through the whole movie.

LOL -- you had to make yourself watch Thorin as much as possible? Wink I can't take my eyes off him willingly...if I'm going to watch anything else, I really have to concentrate!

When I was in high school and college, I was completely in love with (book, obviously) Aragorn. He's still my favorite but I'll agree with you on the switch to Thorin, at least for movie characters!

Have to say my real-life Strider is right here doing some cleaning while I type...

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 22 2013, 3:47pm

Post #31 of 35 (503 views)
Shortcut
the dwarves vs the fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

It's funny how with this film, I've come to love the company of the dwarves so much more than I enjoyed the members of the fellowship! Certainly the members of the fellowship were all just as fully crafted as individuals, or actually even more so, since there were only nine of them (well, eight not including Gandalf) and we haven't seen all the facets of some of these dwarves yet. I will readily admit I love the light-hearted, fun-loving aspects of the dwarves, which is something we never got to experience with the members of the fellowship. I love their cameraderie and the way they seem to wear their emotions on their sleeves, so to speak. I'm prettty sure in the next two films this level of fun and laughter will go, but nevertheless we've gotten a good look at what they are like when they are relaxed and not in a fight for their lives.

Speaking of which, they are all admirable fighters, down to the last dwarf. One of the things I enjoy about the Goblintown sequence is watching how they each handle themselves in their battle with the goblins. Balin certainly hasn't lost his touch, despite his age! And Bombur can hold his own, even given the width of his girth!

And as much as I admired Aragorn, for me this Thorin Oakenshield has completely stolen my heart. From the moment I saw him at the front door of Bag End, he held me captive. This may say more about me than about the crafting of the character actually. I mean, on one hand we have Aragorn, a completely heroic, honorable man-who-should-be-King, good-looking, an awesome fighter, tender and caring lover of Arwen, motivated by an unwavering sense of justice and purpose. On the other hand, we have Thorin, a conflicted King-in-exile, impatient, proud, one who has inherited a burden not of his own making, determined to avenge not only the deaths of his forefathers, but also bound by duty, pride and honor to reclaim the homeland his people once held dear. On the upside he is noble, courageous, a skilled warrior, charismatic, looks out for those who follow him, unhesitatingly puts his own life in jeopardy to save them when he can, leads by example rather than by command (although he does that too), and although he is hard-headed, he is flexible enough to admit his mistakes and to follow others who might know better than he. And of course, Aragorn's hair doesn't hold a candle to his. Nuff said.

So yes, I've come to love this company of dwarves more than I did the members of the fellowship, much to my own surprise. I never expected this, going in to this film for the first time. I mean...dwarves?? Really? Yup. Really. And hey, the fellowship may have had those cool elvish cloaks, but there's something about Bofur's hat....Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Feb 22 2013, 3:55pm)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 23 2013, 9:17am

Post #32 of 35 (238 views)
Shortcut
Nicely said! (And some more on sexual selection) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And as much as I admired Aragorn, for me this Thorin Oakenshield has completely stolen my heart. From the moment I saw him at the front door of Bag End, he held me captive. This may say more about me than about the crafting of the character actually. I mean, on one hand we have Aragorn, a completely heroic, honorable man-who-should-be-King, good-looking, an awesome fighter, tender and caring lover of Arwen, motivated by an unwavering sense of justice and purpose. On the other hand, we have Thorin, a conflicted King-in-exile, impatient, proud, one who has inherited a burden not of his own making, determined to avenge not only the deaths of his forefathers, but also bound by duty, pride and honor to reclaim the homeland his people once held dear. On the upside he is noble, courageous, a skilled warrior, charismatic, looks out for those who follow him, unhesitatingly puts his own life in jeopardy to save them when he can, leads by example rather than by command (although he does that too), and although he is hard-headed, he is flexible enough to admit his mistakes and to follow others who might know better than he. And of course, Aragorn's hair doesn't hold a candle to his. Nuff said.

I completely agree with you regarding the Dwarves versus the Fellowship. Can't wait to see how this feeling evolves over the next two movies. And this thought has been going around in my head for a while, and sort of follows from what you've written here. The Aragorn vs. Thorin thing. A lot of us, I think, thought we were in love with Aragorn (book at least, if not movie too), but have pretty quickly switched to Team Thorin after seeing AUJ. Now, keep in mind the personality traits you outline above, with particular regard to "tender and caring lover of Arwen" for Aragorn, and the charismatic leader with excellent hair, for Thorin. Many bird species exhibit social monogamy: one male and one female form a pair bond and raise young together. However, both sexes frequently seek extra-pair copulations (EPCs). Focusing on the females here: the females usually choose their mate (rather than the male doing the choosing), and will choose the best male they can from what's available, particularly in terms of what he can offer (especially resources involved with raising offspring). Females frequently still fly off and mate with another male, not their mate; and it turns out that the males who get these EPCs are favored by multiple females (i.e., in the bird world they're "sexy"). So the females really have two choices to make: who will help raise their young, and who actually fathers their young. You might could call it the "bed or wed" dilemma. Now, without going into any substantial discussion here that might quickly derail from family-friendly, it might be possible to consider Aragorn and Thorin in this light. Just sayin'.

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 23 2013, 5:23pm

Post #33 of 35 (218 views)
Shortcut
Wow, I didn't know that about birds! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the very informative and interesting feedback! Well, I guess this means the females can have their cake and eat it too, eh? So do the females choose several EPCs or just one? I guess it might be regarded as a justification for extramarital affairs on a human level; however I assume birds don't have the social and moral sanctions we do but rather behave out of instinct. So maybe this is Mother Nature's way of 1) making sure the offspring come from the strongest stock (choosing 'sexy' EPCs) and 2) making sure the offspring have the best chance of survival (choosing partners who would best raise their young).

And yeah, seeing Aragorn and Thorin in this light sure is interesting. Of course they both have a lot of characteristics in common that could qualify them in both categories, I think. Aragorn would appear to be the better stay-at-home-and-watch-the-kids type, but we don't have anything, from what we have seen on screen at least, to assume Thorin would be less of a father in that regard. He obviously loves his nephew Kili, probably the closest kin to him, and is kind and very protective of him, as well as being quick to admonish him. Very fatherly, I would think. We get much of our impression of Aragorn as a good dad from that brief flash of foresight that Arwen had of him with their not-yet-born son as she was going to the Grey Havens. And of course, Thorin doesn't have, and won't have no doubt, any sort of romantic interest at all in these films, so how he would interact with a partner is just speculation anyway. But back to the topic at hand....yeah, I think nature has a pretty interesting plan. LOL! Of course, that flys in the face of a lot of social mores etc. and that's a topic I have no intention of getting into! Thanks for the diversion, Ro!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Feb 23 2013, 5:29pm)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Feb 24 2013, 6:05am

Post #34 of 35 (183 views)
Shortcut
the hat [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, we did see a glimpse of Bofur without the hat when the dwarves literally fell into Bilbo's house-he was on the bottom of the pile.

We also see him without the hat a lot in the troll scene as well, and I saw some screenshots from the trailer that indicates that, despite being in barrels in their long underwear-Bofur STILL has the hat! maybe the elves thought it to be so insanely ugly that they refused to touch it? or maybe thought he was crazy? Wink

wouldn't it be funny to see him wearing the hat instead of a helm during BO5A???? That would make it so so easy to spot him on the field! Wink

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 24 2013, 8:55pm

Post #35 of 35 (216 views)
Shortcut
give me the hat.... [In reply to] Can't Post

elf cloak, Bofur ushanka... good to go... anywhere...

A conversation with a friend turned up this bit of trivia: Popular hat among her kids, because apparently the kid in Catcher in the Rye has a similar earflap hat. Bofur's is a rather exaggerated version of the ushanka, or northern musher hat, or the kind of thing Yukon goldminers would wear.

Love it.

Go outside and play...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.