Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Main concern for Desolation of Smaug?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 1:50am

Post #26 of 48 (410 views)
Shortcut
All points agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I do hope it is NOT shorter, as rumored, by all means give us more rather than less. Three hours is hopefully a minimum. There is so much story to cover if we are to see Dol Goldur.

Tauriel is welcome to Kili. For three (3) minutes of screen time. Need more Company time and for beloved Beorn.

Would love the departure of Azog on so many levels. I'm given to understand in other threads that both Orcs appear at BO5A? Too many villains. Away with him.

And I dearly hope Gandalf is well treated.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 1:51am

Post #27 of 48 (396 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

No elf rocks a pony like Thorin.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2013, 2:07am

Post #28 of 48 (440 views)
Shortcut
I want to see as much Tauriel as possible. [In reply to] Can't Post

More girl power! Wink

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Feb 21 2013, 2:08am)

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 21 2013, 2:08am

Post #29 of 48 (406 views)
Shortcut
Not so much concern [In reply to] Can't Post

but curiosity how they plan to use Tauriel. I've thought from the word she would be added that her life span would be similar to Lurtz. She'd have a roll in some action during the film but ultimately give her life. Depending on how that plays out I won't care too much.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Feb 21 2013, 2:12am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2013, 2:09am

Post #30 of 48 (385 views)
Shortcut
A HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No elf rocks a pony like Thorin.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 2:31am

Post #31 of 48 (383 views)
Shortcut
Amen. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I do hope it is NOT shorter, as rumored, by all means give us more rather than less. Three hours is hopefully a minimum. There is so much story to cover if we are to see Dol Goldur.

Tauriel is welcome to Kili. For three (3) minutes of screen time. Need more Company time and for beloved Beorn.

Would love the departure of Azog on so many levels. I'm given to understand in other threads that both Orcs appear at BO5A? Too many villains. Away with him.

And I dearly hope Gandalf is well treated.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Kirly
Lorien

Feb 21 2013, 2:32am

Post #32 of 48 (417 views)
Shortcut
Majestic Hair Competiton: Elves vs. Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

I want a Majestic Hair Competiton: Elves vs. Dwarves. Winner gets a year's supply of the famous (among Dwarves) Blue Mountain Hair Tonic (Guaranteed to Grow Long Hair in Places You Didn't Know You Needed It). Personally, I think the Dwarves would win, but the Elves could give them a run for their money.

of course the Dwarves would win... their hair has a bit of curl to it. My nic ain't Kirly for nuthin'! Wink

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 21 2013, 2:50am

Post #33 of 48 (396 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tauriel as a Mirkwood guard doesn't bother me, nor does her having a flirty relationship with Kili. She can join him and Fili in their cell for a night of wild and crazy, orgiastic, cross race wonder sex for all I care, so long as she des not pop up in Dol Guldur, or at Erebor, or anyplace else where she REALLY doesn't belong, and so long as she doesn't eat up more screen time than Thranduil and Beorn.

Be careful what you wish for!

I'm worried that they are going to give her more screen time to make up for not letting Arwen be a warrior-elf in LOTR. I mean, they made her into a freaking Lego! Where's my Beorn Lego? Huh?

But, as I've said before on other threads, I'm convinced she will not survive TABA, so perhaps we should be charitable.

Súlimë
Rivendell

Feb 21 2013, 5:01am

Post #34 of 48 (366 views)
Shortcut
Same thought here! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the riddle game changing the wonderful "Time! Time!" moment from the book.

I loved that part in the book too and I was actually looking forward to it! I was a tad bothered that Bilbo appeared a bit too clever in the whole riddle scene, where in the book he was a bit more desperate.

Strangely I don't mind the change to the troll scene too much, as I think the ventriloquism might be hard to pull off realistically on screen. I also thought the movie version had a lot of nice character bits and was quite well done.

Súlimë
Rivendell

Feb 21 2013, 5:27am

Post #35 of 48 (366 views)
Shortcut
My concerns [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Legolas will be too heroic, too noble, because for some reason I secretly wish that he will be portrayed as a snobbish little Elf prince who is extremely biased against dwarves -- now that would be a welcomed change :)

Now that I think about it, I don't really mind Tauriel anymore. It will be interesting to see what they do with her character.

2) White Council magic stuff.
I liked the portrayal of magic when Gandalf faced the Balrog -- that was done very well, with a sense of old, old power. I didn't like the 'showdown' between Saruman and Gandalf -- which was too physical and was bordering on tacky. The siege of Dol Guldur worries me because I don't see how they can do it without it seeming like a magic battle with invisible forces throwing people through the air.

3) Smaug won't be scary enough
He's a smooth-talking evil dragon, but I want him to be extremely scary as well (just like in the book). Talking dragons tend not to be so scary on screen, so I don't know how they are going to do it.

4) Thorin will be too likeable
We have enough people in love with him already. Give Bilbo the spotlight he deserves! Tongue

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 21 2013, 7:20am

Post #36 of 48 (352 views)
Shortcut
The break [In reply to] Can't Post

... between DoS and TABA.

I do not want to start the whole discussion again, since there are two camps here on this issue, but I strongely believe that the ending will pose climax and pacing issues for both movies, no matter whether you let Smaug die or live into TABA.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2013, 9:17am

Post #37 of 48 (313 views)
Shortcut
fitting everything that they need to fit, in. There's a LOT // [In reply to] Can't Post

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Silmaril
Lorien

Feb 21 2013, 9:25am

Post #38 of 48 (307 views)
Shortcut
i think there will be much new music in DOS! [In reply to] Can't Post

first i was a bit disappointed by the AUJ score too, but now i absolutely love it. there had to be the music of bag end rivendell!
there will be a lot of new places and new people in DOS, and so there will be new music!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 21 2013, 9:28am

Post #39 of 48 (314 views)
Shortcut
*ssplrrrrfffffttllll* [In reply to] Can't Post

(that's onomatopoeia for "I just spit my drink all over the monitor")

In Reply To
Tauriel as a Mirkwood guard doesn't bother me, nor does her having a flirty relationship with Kili. She can join him and Fili in their cell for a night of wild and crazy, orgiastic, cross race wonder sex for all I care, so long as she des not pop up in Dol Guldur, or at Erebor, or anyplace else where she REALLY doesn't belong,

Bwahaha! Okay, did we have to go there? Argghh, begone thou mental images and haunt someone else... So you think in 2014, we'll get the Theatrical Release, the Extended Edition, and the XXX-rated Uncensored Extended Edition (possibly giving a whole new meaning to "extended")?

Imladris18
Lorien

Feb 21 2013, 2:58pm

Post #40 of 48 (298 views)
Shortcut
Reception [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my main concern is about how well it will be received. I'm hoping its reviews and whatnot exceed AUJ's. I have faith in both the movie, and that my concern will not come to pass, though.

Apparently I'm in the minority around these parts, lol, but I am looking forward to seeing Tauriel and Legolas. I greatly enjoyed Legolas and his "tricks" in LotR, and I'm eager to see what Evangeline Lily can bring to the table. I can see Legolas' action sequences in The Hobbit being more like the ones in Amon Hen rather than more shield surfing bits. Going off of the Lego set that includes Legolas and Tauriel in Mirkwood, I can see them doing more "teamwork tactics" rather than crazy over-the-top stuff.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 3:21pm

Post #41 of 48 (299 views)
Shortcut
How about [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel kills Azog.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Imladris18
Lorien

Feb 21 2013, 4:02pm

Post #42 of 48 (257 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Fabricated character kills another mostly fabricated character? Okay, haha. Doesn't really go with the whole Thorin revenge thing, though :P

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 21 2013, 4:14pm

Post #43 of 48 (276 views)
Shortcut
Azog revenge thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Good guys always win. Azog should kill Thorin.

Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 4:26pm

Post #44 of 48 (238 views)
Shortcut
nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Bazinga!

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Feb 21 2013, 4:28pm

Post #45 of 48 (252 views)
Shortcut
Free Will [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...no matter whether you let Smaug die or live into TABA.

Why doesn't anyone ever give Smaug a say in this? Dragons have feelings too. What happened to free will? Geez, it's like you people all know what happens and expect Smaug stand by while you decide his fate. I'd be watching your skies. Wink

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 11:20pm

Post #46 of 48 (190 views)
Shortcut
Plaa..a..a.Tt... hahahahaha he he he...Ho HO [In reply to] Can't Post

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Feb 22 2013, 2:00am

Post #47 of 48 (167 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

they can kill eachother.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 22 2013, 4:20am

Post #48 of 48 (196 views)
Shortcut
Runs and puts Flame retardant foam around house... [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.