Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Thank for this!

Beren0nehanded
Bree

Feb 22 2013, 2:33pm

Views: 582
Shortcut
Thank for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
they are talking about before they write articles like this. Check this out. It is edifying.
http://torahmusings.com/2013/01/tolkien-and-the-jews/

For particular interest is this FTA:

The publishers of the German translation of The Hobbit wanted Tolkien to affirm he was “of Aryan origin” before they would issue the work in 1938. Tolkien wrote an agitated reply to his British publishers complaining of the “lunatic laws” of the Third Reich, saying (Letters, pp. 37-38):

Personally I should be inclined to refuse to give any Bestätigung [confirmation] (although it happens that I can), and let a German translation go hang. In any case I should object strongly to any such declaration appearing in print. I do not regard the (probable) absence of all Jewish blood as necessarily honourable; and I have many Jewish friends, and should regret giving any colour to the notion that I subscribed to the wholly pernicious and unscientific race-doctrine.

In the draft of the letter to the German publisher, he declared:

I regret that I am not clear as to what you intend by arisch. I am not of Aryan extraction: that is Indo-iranian; as far as I am aware none of my ancestors spoke Flindustani, Persian, Gypsy, or any related dialects. But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people….

I cannot, however, forbear to comment that if impertinent and irrelevant inquiries of this sort are to become the rule in matters of literature, then the time is not far distant when a German name will no longer be a source of pride.

His would be response to the German publisher is pure gold, so good! Ah this had me laughing!

Don't be hasty.

(This post was edited by Beren0nehanded on Feb 22 2013, 2:33pm)

Subject User Time
"Dwarves are not heroes": antisemitism and the Dwarves in J.R.R. Tolkien's writing. squire Send a private message to squire Feb 20 2013, 4:11pm
    It is an interesting read... elevorn Send a private message to elevorn Feb 20 2013, 5:56pm
        Cherrypicking, and Dwarves as a diaspora people arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Feb 20 2013, 11:31pm
    Fascinating. Thank You. demnation Send a private message to demnation Feb 20 2013, 7:04pm
        Flimsy to me CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Feb 20 2013, 10:00pm
            A risky line to take SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Feb 21 2013, 5:20am
                Love that line CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Feb 21 2013, 6:43pm
    People Should Know what IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Feb 21 2013, 1:59am
        Informative article and post also--thanks.// CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Feb 21 2013, 2:13am
        The author's thesis is not that Tolkien was a Jew-hater. arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Feb 21 2013, 2:44am
            I think her final paragraph doesn't let him off the hook CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Feb 21 2013, 4:21am
                Not sure what you mean... arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Feb 21 2013, 5:29am
        Now that's a blog I never expected to see cited here! sador Send a private message to sador Feb 21 2013, 11:58am
        Thank for this! Beren0nehanded Send a private message to Beren0nehanded Feb 22 2013, 2:33pm
    Fascinating - thank you! sador Send a private message to sador Feb 21 2013, 11:51am
    I read that when it first came out Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Feb 21 2013, 2:48pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.