Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
$300M at last (US ticket sales)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 20 2013, 3:02pm

Post #26 of 37 (243 views)
Shortcut
A matter of size and population to some extent. [In reply to] Can't Post

America is about three times the size of most of the individual countries in Western Europe, and it has a much larger population than most of those countries, thus more theatres in general.

In Reply To
I'm not entirely sure what factors caused this to happen. May have been an issue of timing, such as with China's domestic film last weekend. Something I've noticed is the vast difference in theater counts for overseas nations. Many don't even have the 600+ screens that the U.S. has dwindled down to over two months from AUJ's debut. Just goes to show you, at least for Europe, that the value of the euro is scaringly low.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 20 2013, 6:29pm

Post #27 of 37 (208 views)
Shortcut
Whoo hoo! Congrats to the film team! // [In reply to] Can't Post

glor
Rohan

Feb 21 2013, 12:14am

Post #28 of 37 (193 views)
Shortcut
The London evening Standard today.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Had a massive advert in the paper: The Hobbit, still in cinemas, catch it on the big screen.

Also in one of the national Daily Papers (that I know of). The Hobbit is getting a little push

totoro
Lorien

Feb 21 2013, 2:37am

Post #29 of 37 (155 views)
Shortcut
I think the key is US is 1/3 of the middle-class market [In reply to] Can't Post

US is 1/3, Europe is 1/3, and Asia is 1/3. That was as of a measure done over a decade ago, but it is probably still true to some extent. Africa was negligible in comparison or rolled into Asia if memory serves.

Movies that vary dramatically from the 1/3 baseline are interesting in their own right. Superheroes do comparatively well in the US.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 2:46am

Post #30 of 37 (147 views)
Shortcut
Someone pointed out here....China loves Dragons...// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2013, 4:12am

Post #31 of 37 (147 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see it! I fear it is almost done here. I need to go before this weekend. I might do so tomorrow.

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 21 2013, 5:04am

Post #32 of 37 (136 views)
Shortcut
Wish they would add a teaser trailer now [In reply to] Can't Post

Not likely with the DVD release so soon.

In Reply To
Had a massive advert in the paper: The Hobbit, still in cinemas, catch it on the big screen.

Also in one of the national Daily Papers (that I know of). The Hobbit is getting a little push

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Feb 21 2013, 5:41am

Post #33 of 37 (143 views)
Shortcut
Still think inflation clobbered it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in Zimbabwe the other day. Had to spend 500 trillion dollars to see it though. Bueller? [/sarc]

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Feb 21 2013, 2:39pm

Post #34 of 37 (112 views)
Shortcut
We will see a sneak peak of DoS, [In reply to] Can't Post

on the 24th(?) of march, I think?

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 21 2013, 2:48pm

Post #35 of 37 (100 views)
Shortcut
I agree. Been feeling pressure to go [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been stymied about six times in the last two weeks, but I want to get out hopefully twice more. Today will be #12. At #11 on Saturday theatre was still at about 85%. Audience was very lively too. Will follow with great interest on China numbers.

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Feb 21 2013, 3:08pm

Post #36 of 37 (104 views)
Shortcut
That's hilarious... [In reply to] Can't Post

which is equivalent to how much in the US?I know that $25.00 US = 9,047.50 ZWD..

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 21 2013, 7:49pm

Post #37 of 37 (113 views)
Shortcut
OMG! I knew I spent a lot on those repeat viewings but $300 million? Oof! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.