Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
SAST Quiz #4
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 19 2013, 2:12pm

Post #26 of 44 (234 views)
Shortcut
SAST # 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. It would have to be Thorin, after all he needs the extra time to comb his hair and look gorgeous. If not, maybe it was Balin, he needs to comb his beard also.

2. Apples

3. Thag you very buch!

4. He is having a meal in his dining room , all courtesy of taxpayer's money.

5. First reason was that it was expensive to keep feeding them ( especially Bombur and Bilbo). Another reason was that people were partying instead of working.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

(This post was edited by Eowyn3 on Feb 19 2013, 2:14pm)

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2013, 4:38pm

Post #27 of 44 (232 views)
Shortcut
They were all pretty bedraggled [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Which Dwarf was first to be released by Bilbo from his barrel? Thorin -- and he was not in a good mood.

2. What had Filiís barrel originally contained? Apples!

3. Bilbo has a shocking cold while the Company is in Esgaroth. Once he is well enough to venture out, to what words are his speeches at banquets limited? (You must give the exact quotation for credit.) "Thag you very buch." I know this because I am talking like that today.

4. Where is the Master of Laketown when Thorin and his companions are first brought to him? He was feasting -- he did that a lot.

5. Name one of two reasons explicitly given regarding why the Master was not at all sorry to see the Dwarves go. Mostly because they were racking up the expenses -- dwarves eat a lot when they can. Also because they had become the entertainment in Laketown so no work was getting done, except perhaps for the cooks.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 19 2013, 5:40pm

Post #28 of 44 (222 views)
Shortcut
Oh cripes... trying to remember something!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Luckily, it was Thorin. I remember thinking how nasty it would be if he was kept barrelized one moment longer than any of the others

2. Apples were the one thing I remember someone complaining about... so that must have been Fili. Awwww... poor baby. Better than pickles or garlic!

3. The famous... Thag you very buch.

4. uh oh... sitting in a big common room looking like a regal wanna-be?

5. They were costing him too much money! Typical...

Are you saying "Thag you very buch" Ro? I'm so sorry you're not feeling well :( ZINC! Get thee some ZICAM!

*huggles*

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 19 2013, 5:51pm

Post #29 of 44 (205 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo has LEFT the Building! *snigger* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 6:04pm

Post #30 of 44 (227 views)
Shortcut
What! You mean, the answer to life, the universe, and everything... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is YOU?

Wink

Many happy returns of the day, youngster! Smile

Now, where's gramma? She's the official purveyor of ice cream around here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 6:06pm

Post #31 of 44 (216 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, #11 is a winner! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 19 2013, 6:45pm

Post #32 of 44 (231 views)
Shortcut
If only.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even now the mediocrity bench is beyond my reach.Evil

1. Lessee, if I recall correctly, "releasing the dwarf" is a euphemism for, er, availing oneself of the facilities (thank goodness for euphemisms). Therefore the question could be restated, "which business did Bilbo attend to, the first or the second?" Honestly, this is taking Tolkien minutia to an whole other level... though I'm not surprised such questions are finding their way into our games... we've talked about almost everything else. Anyway, Bilbo released the first one first.

2. Fili's barrel had originally contained offal. When he emerged from the barrel, being Fili, he was clutching roses.

3. What is it Bomby always says? "Thag you berry much?"

4. In Laketown, obviously. Probably at his meat, or at table.

5. Hmm only one of two reasons? I seem to recall that nothing was getting done around the place, what with Thorin tossing his mane about in slow motion.

Thanks Roheryn. Hope you're feeling better. Smile

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2013, 10:02pm

Post #33 of 44 (219 views)
Shortcut
*Passes Ro a tissue* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll join you on the sneezing.

1) I have a feeling it was Gloin. But I'm probably wrong.
2) Apples. (Made him think of cider).
3) "Thag you very buch."
4) Eating dinner in a great hall.
5) They were taking the attention away from him, and spending too much money.

Storm clouds

Nunilo
Bree

Feb 20 2013, 2:01am

Post #34 of 44 (197 views)
Shortcut
First go at the quiz! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Aaarrghh I can't remember. Am I correct in thinking default answer is Thorin and his hair? :) Both of which were wet and extremely grumpy.

2. Apples!! I feel his pain (don't like apples myself)

3. Thag you very buch (or something along those lines...)

4. Going to say at a feast, because I can't remember... (Soon to be joined by Thorin, hair and co)

5. The dwarves ate a lot of food. Also the townspeople were paying too much attention to the company (too busy admiring dwarvish hairstyles) and the Master did not like this excitement over some stranger people were calling king.

:)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 20 2013, 2:28am

Post #35 of 44 (199 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday Sador! [In reply to] Can't Post

May many blessings be upon you.

Smile

Bellerock
Rivendell

Feb 20 2013, 2:35am

Post #36 of 44 (191 views)
Shortcut
This seems vaguely familiar . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I'll give your fallback answer here: Thorin (I think that may actually be right!)

2. Fili's barrel originally contained apples.

3. Bilbo only says "Thag you very buch."

4. The Master of Laketown is at feast on the dwarves arrive. For some reason I keep picturing King Henry VIII gnawing on a turkey drumstick.Smile

5. The Master wants to be rid of the dwarves because they are expensive to keep, and because the people don't get any work done while the dwarves are around, feasting every night you know. Wait, that's what they were doing when Thorin and Company arrived, , , hmm

Nira
Lorien

Feb 20 2013, 4:02am

Post #37 of 44 (191 views)
Shortcut
#4 [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Which Dwarf was first to be released by Bilbo from his barrel?
Thorin! with his dark hair all wet, flowing handsomly from his head.

2. What had Filiís barrel originally contained?
Apples. Eschewing apples, he later went on to do Microsoft commercials.

3. Bilbo has a shocking cold while the Company is in Esgaroth. Once he is well enough to venture out, to what words are his speeches at banquets limited? (You must give the exact quotation for credit.)

Fittingly, I actually have a cold myself right now. :( If I try to say "thank you very much," it sounds like "thag you very buch," so I'll go with that. :)
Thag you very buch for making these quizzes each week, Ro!

4. Where is the Master of Laketown when Thorin and his companions are first brought to him?
In a large hall feasting.

5. Name one of two reasons explicitly given regarding why the Master was not at all sorry to see the Dwarves go.
The people of Laketown were not productive, and spreading legendary tales around; the dwarves were eating his food and, especially Thorin, acting deserving of royal treatment.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

sador
Half-elven

Feb 20 2013, 8:06am

Post #38 of 44 (172 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sador
Half-elven

Feb 20 2013, 8:09am

Post #39 of 44 (168 views)
Shortcut
Only for a year. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Feb 20 2013, 8:55am

Post #40 of 44 (187 views)
Shortcut
I'm waaay behind, but what the heck! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Thorin (or was it Grumpy?)
2) apples (this is the origin of the "dunking for apples" game.)
3) ummm, "Thag you very bugh", or something. What is it, Bomby?Wink
4) "at feast" (which I never understood. What feast? It's never stated, is it? Why is it not "At a feast? Is this a British English thing, like "at hospital"?)
5) they were getting very expensive. (But, hey! If you wanna play, you've gotta pay!) Cool

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 20 2013, 4:46pm

Post #41 of 44 (178 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's hair will always be majestic [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter whatWink

1. I can't remember all that well, but I think it was Thorin and he wasn't exactly impressed. I remember Fili and Kili helping out all the other dwarves.
2. Apples. (Can't wait to hear him complain about apples in the DoS)
3. "Thag you very buch!"
4. In The Starship Enterprise. Captain Kirk had hired him as a Klingon translator.
5. They had over stayed their welcome.

Hope you feel better!Smile

Legless Lego Legolas...there is nothing more epic.

"Ten percent of nothin' is ... let me do the math here ... nothin' into nothin' ... carry the nothin' ... " - Jayne from Firefly

(This post was edited by BoromirOfWinterfell on Feb 20 2013, 4:51pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 20 2013, 6:07pm

Post #42 of 44 (174 views)
Shortcut
Following the Rules... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing as how I stand almost no chance with the questions this week, I will simply follow the quiz rule and keep the Mediocrity Bench warm for someone who actually earns a couple points. Have I mentioned how over Girl Scout cookies I am? And there are still two weeks to go. harrumph.

1. Which Dwarf was first to be released by Bilbo from his barrel?
Thorin Oakenshield. Or one of the other ones.

2. What had Filiís barrel originally contained?
Thorin's hair product; one of the reasons Thranduil was so torqued at him was hair jealousy, pure & simple.

3. Bilbo has a shocking cold while the Company is in Esgaroth. Once he is well enough to venture out, to what words are his speeches at banquets limited? (You must give the exact quotation for credit.)
"Thag you very buch." What he wanted to say was, "thank you very much, kind hosts, for the hospitality you have shown me and my esteemed companions, most particularly King Thorin of Erebor." He wanted to use an ever-so-slightly sarcastic tone when saying it, so the Elves would be sure to know how greatly displeased he truly was.

4. Where is the Master of Laketown when Thorin and his companions are first brought to him?
At Laketown's annual "Best Hair" contest, and he knows he's sunk as soon as he sees Thorin.

5. Name one of two reasons explicitly given regarding why the Master was not at all sorry to see the Dwarves go.

He, too, was jealous of Thorin's hair. Or afraid of what the Elves would do if they found out the Dwarves were in Laketown.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 21 2013, 12:56am

Post #43 of 44 (170 views)
Shortcut
Thorin. (I have no memory of this part!!) [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Thorin. Bilbo opened his first because he was curious to see what effect the rigours of the journey might have had on Thorin's hair. It proved that travel by barrel in no way detracted from the continued fabulousness of Thorin's hair.

2. Thorin. When Bilbo was originally stuffing Dwarves into barrels, Thorin insisted Fili trade with him because the bits of straw littering Thorin's original barrel would blend much better with Fili's yellow beard.

3. Thorin. No, wait, I DO remember something from this part! It was "Thag you very buch", because poor Bilbo had a horrible cold after his barrel-riding.

4. The Master is having his hair styled. The townsmen believe he and his stylist would much desire to see Thorin's hair.

5. Thorin. The Master's wife can't take her eyes off of him. And, Thorin! The minstrels have been playing that blasted song about him incessantly and the Master can't get it out of his head.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 21 2013, 10:17pm

Post #44 of 44 (180 views)
Shortcut
****QUIZ CLOSED**** [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, everyone! Answers and Results as usual posted here when I can get a Round Tuit!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.