Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Was it too much for Bombur to have a line or even one word?

LordElrond
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 5:16am

Post #1 of 24 (1281 views)
Shortcut
Was it too much for Bombur to have a line or even one word? Can't Post

I just can't see why they had to cut all his lines in AUJ! What would be the reason for it? they couldn't afford the film to be just a few seconds longer?

MysterClark
The Shire

Feb 17 2013, 6:01am

Post #2 of 24 (797 views)
Shortcut
Just Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he had food in his mouth the whole time so he couldn't talk! :P

Maybe we'll get some things in the EE. I actually think that'd be really weird! Have a character you don't hear talk at all suddenly have scenes! I guess that'd be no weirder than having Saruman and Grima in ROTK.

Slim
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 7:21am

Post #3 of 24 (729 views)
Shortcut
Equal screen presence? [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people have suggested that he was intentionally not given any lines as a joke/character-defining stuff (always eating, therefore can't talk), but for some reason I don't really like this. Bombur is going to have to talk in the next two movies anyway, so if this is the case I think it's going to be a bit pointless.

My feeling is that with his appearance Bombur has enough screen presence already, so maybe when they had to make a decision to cut the length of the film, they chose to cut Bombur's lines.

I felt that Nori was the most neglected dwarf in AUJ, even with one line, so I don't feel that Bombur was done any injustice by not having a speaking part.

Nunilo
Bree

Feb 17 2013, 7:36am

Post #4 of 24 (700 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they focused on physical presence [In reply to] Can't Post

Stephen Hunter said (in Official Movie Guide): "I was asked if I was happy to not have so many lines but, instead, to concentrate on the physical aspects of the character. The actor's first instinct is always, 'How many lines do I get to say?' But that's not really an indicator of how your character is going to be seen and remembered, so I really embraced the physicality of the role."

At this stage in the storyline I think Bombur stands out sufficiently. (I guess Bofur gets to do most of the talking in his family group!) It will be interesting to see him in the next film.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Feb 17 2013, 9:05am

Post #5 of 24 (648 views)
Shortcut
True, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say that from a fan's point of view I sympathise and feel for most of the Dwarves at this point, with exceptions being Nori (the hairstyle is ridiculous imo) and Ori (who I really dislike, it has to be said). As others have said, Bombur's physical presence makes him notable enough, for now. Nevertheless, I agree that it's shocking given that *every other Dwarf had at least one line.*

Out of interest let's just look at the chances Bombur has left for lines:

Outside Beorn's house, coming in two's (something I strongly suspect Jackson to change).

Drinking from the river (again, not entirely convinced it'll be in but could be a good character moment).

I think they'll be some play on trying to fit Bombur in a barrel, which will turn out to be difficult due to his excessive size.

Possibly Bilbo relieves Bombur on watch when he trades the Arkenstone with Thranduil and Bard, but that again I expect will be changed to Bilbo simply sneaking off wearing the Ring.

Maybe if we get to see a short epilogue sequence we might get to see Bombur being lifted to the table by six other Dwarves, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

After all this I'm just curious to find out what he actually sounds like! Maybe if PJ sees this he might insert one line into the Extended Edition for him (please!)

"These are Gundabad Wargs! They will outrun you!"

"THESE are Rhosgobel Rabbits! I'd like to see them try...."

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Feb 17 2013, 9:06am)

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 17 2013, 9:31am

Post #6 of 24 (655 views)
Shortcut
Probably it's due to the fact that [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur is a shy dwarf.

According to Brian Sibley's Official Movie Guide, he mentions that Bombur is not so much talkative and that most of the times, it's his brother Bofur that does the talking for him.

Unfortunately, if this is truly the case, it wasn't emphasized much in the film. Unsure

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Review

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Feb 17 2013, 10:49am

Post #7 of 24 (620 views)
Shortcut
Methinks that Bombur was meant for comic relief only [In reply to] Can't Post

Breaking a table in Rivendell, inhaling bugs etc.

I wasn't very impressed by his silence. He speaks quite often in the book compared to the other dwarves. Isn't it going to seem odd if he never speaks in AUJ, but in DOS he speaks all the time about food when the company is in Mirkwood? The audience would be confused at the character's sudden importance.

And what if PJ omits that entire part?

s ofereode, isses swa mg - that has passed, so may this.

"Ten percent of nothin' is ... let me do the math here ... nothin' into nothin' ... carry the nothin' ... " - Jayne from Firefly

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 11:26am

Post #8 of 24 (603 views)
Shortcut
I think he will do more talking in DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

I read somewhere that all the Dwarves would get their 15 min. of fame between the 3 movies. With the Mirkwood river scene being Bombur's famous moment, he will probably do most of his talking at that point. After all he talks about food the whole time after he is rescued, at least in the book, and I don't think that is going to change.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2013, 2:21pm

Post #9 of 24 (516 views)
Shortcut
It may not have been a matter of seconds. [In reply to] Can't Post

If Bombur had filmed lines of dialogue (I would guess he did and we might see some in the EE) possibly this was as part of longer scenes and conversations that were cut. In such a case one could not merely keep in his lines, one would need to keep in enough action/other characters' lines to put the moment in context.

vexx801
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 5:17pm

Post #10 of 24 (570 views)
Shortcut
River scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall seeing a photo of the dwarves carrying Bombur in Mirkwood, which would tell me that the scene from him drinking in the river is in.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9c6e08d906ece62f07f47cf843e821e6/tumblr_mgbex3d8kk1s0xwnuo1_1280.jpg

(This post was edited by vexx801 on Feb 17 2013, 5:18pm)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2013, 8:37pm

Post #11 of 24 (430 views)
Shortcut
He's the strong, silent type... [In reply to] Can't Post

and apparently with a brother as sharp-witted as Bofur, he doesn't need to do much talking!

I figure he's just being polite, unlike most of the other Dwarves: he doesn't talk with his mouth full, and since his mouth is always full, he doesn't talk. In Mirkwood, they run out of food, so he'll get his chance to talk then.

Though, actually I'm convinced he does have background lines in AUJ -- where he's talking in the background amongst other Dwarves. Just need that DVD to be sure.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 11:26pm

Post #12 of 24 (392 views)
Shortcut
Given that... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
At this stage in the storyline I think Bombur stands out sufficiently. (I guess Bofur gets to do most of the talking in his family group!) It will be interesting to see him in the next film.

... Bombur was stuffing his face for most of his screen time and Bifur has an axe lodged in his head, I guess so. Wink But, yeah, I was a little surprised how many lines Bofur got. On the other hand, James Nesbitt is the only actor of the 13 I'd heard of prior to this movie (though I now also recognize Jed Brophy from a couple other PJ projects), so I wonder if that's a coincidence or not.

I'd also like to think Gloin would get a little more screen time, given that he's Gimli's father. It'd be interesting to see the parallels between the two.

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Feb 18 2013, 12:18am

Post #13 of 24 (395 views)
Shortcut
This for sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

food makes people quiet... When his belly becomes empty, I'm sure he'll have something to say..Laugh

cats16
Valinor

Feb 18 2013, 3:18am

Post #14 of 24 (341 views)
Shortcut
To me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur was always the spoiled, over-fed, pompous dwarf of the group. Always complaining and never seeming to be helping their cause. There seemed to be slight hints to something like this in his mannerisms, but generally I like we're going to see quite a bit of him in the next films.

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 18 2013, 5:14am

Post #15 of 24 (340 views)
Shortcut
He'll probably say something in the DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll be interesting to hear his voice, but given the amount of prosthetics that Stephen is wearing, it'll be a wonder he can utter anything at all! Wink

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Feb 18 2013, 5:15am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2013, 5:23am

Post #16 of 24 (333 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It'll be interesting to hear his voice, but given the amount of prosthetics that Stephen is wearing, it'll be a wonder he can utter anything at all! Wink

I suspect we will be hearing from Bombur in the Barrels out of Bond scene.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Feb 18 2013, 10:34pm

Post #17 of 24 (288 views)
Shortcut
Was really surpised by this [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't realise till shortly after that he didn't have a single line which is ironic considering he was one of the more vocal Dwarves in the book. He did seem to get a bit of screen time in the film without saying anything though and he did appear to fight quite well in Goblin Town. I felt sorry for him when those Goblins jumped on him.

I remember reading one of Quint/Clint's set reports where he described Bombur as something along the lines of "a warm character" or "endearing" or something similar which too me suggest he may have been more vocal earlier on during production. His Games-Workshop rules also suggest he is quite a decent guy, he has a rule where he can give a sort of peep talk to one of Thorin's company.

Hopefully he might have a chance to speak in the extended edition and gets a good couple of lines in DOS.

Yes, my username is terrible.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2013, 4:15am

Post #18 of 24 (269 views)
Shortcut
but wait, there's more... [In reply to] Can't Post

...movies, extended versions...

I didn't actually realize he had no lines... he is a presence just the same.

I suspect this will change.

Go outside and play...

morgul lord
Rivendell

Feb 19 2013, 5:24am

Post #19 of 24 (261 views)
Shortcut
Ironically, I was worried there would be TOO MUCH Bombur! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 19 2013, 2:56pm

Post #20 of 24 (243 views)
Shortcut
It's a bit amusing [In reply to] Can't Post

that we so notice how Bombur, the one dwarf, has no lines yet, but in the book so many of the dwarves are simply presences that, while spoken about in the third person, have no dialogue themselves. Just goes to show, I think, how vibrant and real these movie dwarves are!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

imin
Valinor

Feb 19 2013, 3:16pm

Post #21 of 24 (240 views)
Shortcut
That would be down to the visual medium of film surely? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have thought so anyway. It is much easier to see something even if one see's it in passing than to remember someone with some lines of prose.

For me bombur is no more or less real than book bombur at this point in the book and film. the same for many of the other dwarfs. They have done a good job overall with the ones they gave dialogue to though in my opinion, that would be thorin, balin, fili, kili, bofur (for me the most improved of them all, though im not a fan of greasy hair so but if i were then maybe thorin Tongue)

(This post was edited by imin on Feb 19 2013, 3:17pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 19 2013, 6:03pm

Post #22 of 24 (222 views)
Shortcut
Now... would he have [In reply to] Can't Post

gotten so much attention if he HAD spoken up?

;)

A dwarf of mystery!!

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

dave_lf
Gondor

Feb 19 2013, 6:35pm

Post #23 of 24 (221 views)
Shortcut
I got the impression they were doing a "Silent Bob" thing with him [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a couple of times when he was about to say something, and then events or another dwarf cut him off. It could become a running joke.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 19 2013, 6:37pm

Post #24 of 24 (285 views)
Shortcut
Not convinced ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Concentrating on physical aspects of the character doesn't justify not giving him any lines. What does it even mean? It can't be that hard sitting saying nothing.

Unimpressed

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.