Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Can you believe AUJ HFR 3D will STILL be in my local theater next week?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 4:45pm

Post #26 of 33 (133 views)
Shortcut
Oh no, Tolkien really disliked Remington's illustrations. [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes them even more of a novelty!

He wrote to the publisher at Ballantine Books about her illustration of The Hobbit (below) which had many of the same features:

"I think the cover is ugly; but I recognize that a main object of a paperback cover is to attract purchasers, and I suppose that you are better judges of what is attractive in USA than I am. I therefore will not enter into a debate about taste—(meaning though I did not say so: horrible colours and foul lettering)—but I must ask this about the vignette: what has it got to do with the story? Where is this place? Why a lion and emus? And what is the thing in the foreground with pink bulbs? I do not understand how anybody who had read the tale (I hope you are one) could think such a picture would please the author."

(This post was edited by Tintallė on Feb 15 2013, 4:47pm)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 6:44pm

Post #27 of 33 (117 views)
Shortcut
So right [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking of those funny little illustrations by Cor Blok that Tolkien liked.

julia0925
The Shire

Feb 15 2013, 7:54pm

Post #28 of 33 (112 views)
Shortcut
Mine too!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going on Monday (any other people in the Baltimore/DC area, it's playing at the Cinemark by Arundel Mills Mall--feel free to join me.)

-----
Lotr: You know it's been a bad day when even the elf is smudged.
TH: when the going gets tough, the tough call the eagles.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 11:21pm

Post #29 of 33 (104 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Julia, I am in the Mid-Atlantic myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

Arundel is a ways south of me. . . but managable. lol

In Reply To
I'm going on Monday (any other people in the Baltimore/DC area, it's playing at the Cinemark by Arundel Mills Mall--feel free to join me.)

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 16 2013, 3:09am

Post #30 of 33 (89 views)
Shortcut
Unbelieveably, still in my theater in HFR and 2D! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was sure it would be gone this weekend, to make room for the gazillion showings of "Good Day to Die Hard" (these southerners like them some John McClane). But no, the management of the Regal rose above the pedestrian choices of their proletariat customers and kept two (two!) theaters full of Hobbit. Good for them! And good for me! I will go again this weekend, because there is no way I'm ruining the first Die Hard by seeing the latest (or ruining the book Beautiful Creatures by seeing it, notwithstanding Jeremy Irons and Emma Thompson).

By now, the amount I've spent seeing this could be going towards my NZ trip fund.....

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 16 2013, 3:25am

Post #31 of 33 (86 views)
Shortcut
UH!? No Fair!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 16 2013, 4:48am

Post #32 of 33 (79 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

"the management of the Regal rose above the pedestrian choices of their proletariat customers. . . ."

Brilliant!

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 16 2013, 4:49am

Post #33 of 33 (254 views)
Shortcut
San Diego is pretty nice at this time of year. . . ! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.