Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
This is amazingly off topic...

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 14 2013, 11:59pm

Post #1 of 20 (354 views)
Shortcut
This is amazingly off topic... Can't Post

but absolutely fascinating. Yes, yes, Ro's been...well, not thinking this time so much as observing.

Did you know...cows' nostrils are positioned at a slight diagonal, and are exactly the right size and shape (sort of an elongated oval) and at the right angle for them to stick their tongues right up them? As in, their tongue fits in like a key in a lock...a perfect match! How fascinating is that?!?

Which led to me thinking about human nostrils and fingers...and now I'm wondering how many other animals there are out there who have nostrils just the right shape for...well, whatever body part is relevant. Too cool. I'm guessing there's not enough biologists on here who could answer that question.

No, really, I'm *not* procrastinating anything...

Ardamķrė
Valinor

Feb 15 2013, 12:07am

Post #2 of 20 (239 views)
Shortcut
This is disgusting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fascinating? Yes, but absolutely disgusting LOL. Laugh Speaking of tongues, my little brother can actually get his tongue into his nose just by sticking it up there. He doesn't need any sort of help. It's creepy and nasty.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 12:45am

Post #3 of 20 (208 views)
Shortcut
Given the dexterity of cow tongues, [In reply to] Can't Post

I figure they'd make easy work of their nostrils regardless of the angle.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

imin
Valinor

Feb 15 2013, 12:52am

Post #4 of 20 (205 views)
Shortcut
that's evolution for ya :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe you should do some research? To see if 1. everyone can put their finger up their nostrils and two, if people can put their fingers up other peoples, lol - as in are nostrils just big enough for most to put fingers in or are they only just the right size for each person, haha.

Of all the evolutionary things we could talk about we have come to a cow licking its nose, haha! Still i never knew that so thanks for telling me Tongue

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2013, 12:54am

Post #5 of 20 (211 views)
Shortcut
Not going to take [In reply to] Can't Post

the thought of dexterous tongues any further...

Oh, and I've also discovered that not only do cows have amazing tongues, but if you offer a herd of cows a choice between a paddock full of lush green grass, and a long garden hose, they'll go for chewing up the garden hose every time. We now have 30 meters of garden hose in about 12 convenient pieces of random and well-masticated length.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Feb 15 2013, 2:10am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 15 2013, 12:56am

Post #6 of 20 (194 views)
Shortcut
Dexterity and intelligence don't necessarily go together. ;) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 1:13am

Post #7 of 20 (192 views)
Shortcut
This is an awesome observation. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Ro.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 3:37am

Post #8 of 20 (185 views)
Shortcut
Heres a link [In reply to] Can't Post

You might enjoy this. Or not...Tongue

www.calflora.net/primatenooz/nosepicking.html

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 4:29am

Post #9 of 20 (174 views)
Shortcut
"Table 3 shows the relationship between the fruiting of sven major food species and the frequency of nose-picking" [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the very many reasons I love TORN. Where else would I be reading so avidly about nose picking?

This is actually quite interesting but I am left to wonder who earned their doctorate degree based on this research. Crazy

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2013, 7:49am

Post #10 of 20 (164 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

you can say *that* again.

Angelic

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2013, 8:07am

Post #11 of 20 (179 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's hilarious. Anyone who can read the first two paragraphs and still have an appetite has a stronger stomach than me! Actually, the whole thing's hilarious. That was a great read.

I would point out, though, that this is clearly a very clever and well-written parody...

alienorchid
Lorien

Feb 15 2013, 12:23pm

Post #12 of 20 (150 views)
Shortcut
Cows are so cute and funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

My partner's parents have Dexter cattle and they are so little and friendly. I've seen them licking their nostrils!

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 3:39pm

Post #13 of 20 (143 views)
Shortcut
Academia is a world of its own! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that's someone's actual job.They kind of have their own fantasy land! Weird primate habits as an advanced degree...just imagine the folks who study primates and the "Big M"....bet no one wants to shake their hands at cocktail parties.

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 4:28pm

Post #14 of 20 (136 views)
Shortcut
What? You mean there's no American Journal of Nasal Anatomy? :0 [In reply to] Can't Post

Or did this give it away?

"In marked contrast to the orangutan, the gorilla lives in a group environment that makes it possible to collect much more data in a shorter period of time, which is convenient for the researcher, although when there are six to eight individuals all within sight and all actively picking their noses, it is sometimes difficult to maintain one's composure."

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 4:46pm

Post #15 of 20 (150 views)
Shortcut
It has real world applications.... [In reply to] Can't Post

although when there are six to eight individuals all within sight and all actively picking their noses, it is sometimes difficult to maintain one's composure."

because when i read that it reminded me of Admin. Grand Rounds at work (!) Evil Heheh

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 7:44pm

Post #16 of 20 (131 views)
Shortcut
no, no imin [In reply to] Can't Post

''You can pick your nose.
You can pick your friends.
But you can't pick your friends nose''
Sly

.....And what about elephantsCrazy?

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 7:48pm

Post #17 of 20 (140 views)
Shortcut
LOOKOUT! [In reply to] Can't Post

INCOMING!!

imin
Valinor

Feb 15 2013, 9:35pm

Post #18 of 20 (124 views)
Shortcut
Haha very good :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Pick your friends but not their nose - some very good advice i will have to keep in mind, lol.

Elephants, well they just put their nose in their mouth, easy for them, almost cheating, lol.

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 15 2013, 9:43pm

Post #19 of 20 (126 views)
Shortcut
Smartie pants! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh ...Reverse reach-ability.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2013, 4:49pm

Post #20 of 20 (156 views)
Shortcut
*huge smile* [In reply to] Can't Post

This was brilliant Ro! Thank you!

Because you're right....it does fit, perfectly! HeartSo much better, ah...Heart

JUST KIDDING, I'm not *really* trying it... at this exact moment.... WinkSly

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.