Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Voices and accents

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 3:52pm

Post #1 of 23 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Voices and accents Can't Post

Just a quick observation with regard to this subject (I don't know whether it has been raised before on this forum, so apologies if it has).

Special care seems to have been taken to get the voices of the characters right, from Thorin's deep voice and the bonkers sound of the Goblin King, to the ground-shaking noise of Azog's speeches. I like Azog least of the characters in the film, but his voice and use of the Orkish tongue are very impressive.

The wonderful Scottish accents of Dwarves such as Balin and Dwalin (and their deep voices) have also been used to really good effect. I also like what has been done with the Trolls in terms of both their voices and accents, as well as their overall appearance and behaviour. Brian Sibley's 'Movie Guide' (which for me is the best of the books about the film so far) describes how the scenes with the Trolls were filmed, using motion capture. It seems as though the actors and PJ had great fun producing those scenes. I'm not sure how they managed to keep straight faces. Smile

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Feb 13 2013, 3:56pm)

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 13 2013, 4:05pm

Post #2 of 23 (662 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, [In reply to] Can't Post

I also enjoyed the attention to details in the movie. I love Thorin's deep voice when he sings The Misty Mountain song. Dwalin's voice always sounds rough as you would expect, and the trolls voice was very well done too. The Orcs speech I didn't care much for, but maybe it's because I didn't like Azog that much.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 13 2013, 4:30pm

Post #3 of 23 (639 views)
Shortcut
Yes, definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

The accents and voices of all the characters are very good. I especially like Scottish and Northern Irish accents, for some reason, and there is plenty there to please my ears. The deep voices of some of the dwarves also seem very fitting.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 5:39pm

Post #4 of 23 (606 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting to me that between TH and LOTR we've had Scotland, Ireland, Northern England and London represented among the characters' accents - but not Wales. It was planned at one point for the Elves to sound vaguely Welsh, but that changed early on. It's a curious omission, one that I was hoping might be rectified with a dwarf or two, but no such luck. sigh.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 5:47pm

Post #5 of 23 (622 views)
Shortcut
In the LOTR films [In reply to] Can't Post

…Gimli is Welsh. The Welsh accent is not quite as distinctive as the Scottish and Irish accents are – perhaps that's why they don't feature so much in these films?

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 5:55pm

Post #6 of 23 (615 views)
Shortcut
The actor who played him, [In reply to] Can't Post

John Rhys-Davis, is Welsh, but the accent he used was more Scottish-like. I can't put my finger on where in the movie appendices or commentaries that info is, but it's there... somewhere on one of those 12 DVDs... Crazy

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Seaber
Rivendell

Feb 13 2013, 8:51pm

Post #7 of 23 (565 views)
Shortcut
Welsh is a very hard accent to put on without sounding silly [In reply to] Can't Post

Or so it seems to me, anyway. It is too soft for Gimli, whereas it could have worked well for Dori or Ori.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 9:52pm

Post #8 of 23 (530 views)
Shortcut
Why does this confusion keep cropping up? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it simply because JR-D is Welsh? As is stated on the DVD commentaries, Gimli's accent is clearly meant to be Scottish. A Welsh accent has far more inflection (sing-song feel) to it.

Oh, and one easy way to tell - if someone calls you "laddie" chances are he's Scottish, whereas a Welshman would call you "Boy-o!" Wink

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Feb 13 2013, 9:52pm)

glor
Rohan

Feb 13 2013, 10:08pm

Post #9 of 23 (556 views)
Shortcut
Bard the Bowman? [In reply to] Can't Post

Luke Evans is welsh and sounds very welsh in interviews. It is possible that Bard may have that lyrical welsh voice.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 11:16pm

Post #10 of 23 (475 views)
Shortcut
Why does this confusion keep cropping up? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why? I guess it is because some people – like me – have forgotten that Gimli's accent is supposed to be Scottish. It is several years since I revisited the LOTR films, and I certainly haven't scrutinised the commentaries on them in great detail. I only remembered that John Rhys-Davies is Welsh because I have seen him in television programmes in the UK.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 11:23pm

Post #11 of 23 (595 views)
Shortcut
Welsh accent [In reply to] Can't Post

'Welsh is a very hard accent to put on without sounding silly.'

Yes – people who are not Welsh and try to speak English with a Welsh accent (as opposed to Welsh, which is a completely different language from English) often sound as though they are speaking English Indian.

A Scottish accent sounds quite romantic to me, while Welsh does not have the same association (though it is quaint, especially when spoken by country people born and bred in Wales).

Súlimë
Rivendell

Feb 14 2013, 2:08am

Post #12 of 23 (471 views)
Shortcut
Welsh [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It was planned at one point for the Elves to sound vaguely Welsh, but that changed early on.

I love that idea and wish they had kept it! Sindarin is kinda Welsh anyway. It might be hard to pull off convincingly though...

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 14 2013, 4:54am

Post #13 of 23 (402 views)
Shortcut
Now, that would be something to look forward to!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Mythopoeia
Bree

Feb 14 2013, 10:45pm

Post #14 of 23 (397 views)
Shortcut
Nori [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the voices of pretty much everyone in the film (especially the Dwarves and the Goblins!) but I did crack up laughing the first time I heard Nori talk because it sounds to me like Jed Brophy is just speaking in his regular NZ accent and not even bothering putting on the Irish/Scottish/Northern English sound of the other Dwarves (in contrast to, say, Dean who has to try to sound like Aidan). Is he supposed to sound NZ? I think it's great that he does but wasn't sure Laugh

marillaraina
Rohan

Feb 15 2013, 2:53am

Post #15 of 23 (338 views)
Shortcut
I guess it's easier for some than others [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I loved the voices of pretty much everyone in the film (especially the Dwarves and the Goblins!) but I did crack up laughing the first time I heard Nori talk because it sounds to me like Jed Brophy is just speaking in his regular NZ accent and not even bothering putting on the Irish/Scottish/Northern English sound of the other Dwarves (in contrast to, say, Dean who has to try to sound like Aidan). Is he supposed to sound NZ? I think it's great that he does but wasn't sure Laugh

Aidan and Dean are trying to sound like Richard. Aidan doesn't sound anything like his own accent. I thought they did good jobs, they seem to have a "lighter" version of the accent Richard is using for Thorin which seems to be pretty close to his own. It's probably good for them not to try go too heavy with it as any inconsistencies would just sound more fake.

To be honest at this point I'm not quite what accent Richard is using, it's hard for me to judge how close or not it is to his own. My first impression is that Thorin's accent is close to his own. I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen him do an RP or neutral type accent. I've never listened to any of his audio books, I'm sure he does various ones in some of those. His American wasn't too bad in Captain America, but he only had a couple of lines.

It's easier for some than others I guess. :) Maybe Brophy doesn't have a knack for it. I don't think James Nesbitt has a strong knack for accents other than his own.

And you know I rewatched some scene last night in a youtube clip and I finally realize why someone thought Dwalin was Russian. I wish I could remember the exact line, but Dwalin said something to Thorin and I have to admit, the first couple of words did sound like someone speaking English with a Russian accent. But I hadn't really noticed it before because I was more focused on his sounding Scottish.

Súlimë
Rivendell

Feb 15 2013, 5:39am

Post #16 of 23 (404 views)
Shortcut
accents [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
To be honest at this point I'm not quite what accent Richard is using, it's hard for me to judge how close or not it is to his own. My first impression is that Thorin's accent is close to his own. I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen him do an RP or neutral type accent. I've never listened to any of his audio books, I'm sure he does various ones in some of those. His American wasn't too bad in Captain America, but he only had a couple of lines.

I listened to one of his audiobooks and I was surprised at the range of voices he could do. I sometimes forgot it was only one person reading!

I might not know what I'm talking about, but I think Thorin's accent is pretty close to RA's own accent (?)

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 2:56am

Post #17 of 23 (293 views)
Shortcut
Accents and actors [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting to note that, apart from Elijah Wood's brief (re)appearance as Frodo, there are no American actors in this trilogy... though Evangeline Lilly is Canadian. Plus, there's the first actor from a non-English-speaking country in the Middle Earth series with Mikael Persbrandt (who is Swedish). It'll be interesting to hear their accents. Will they do the standard English accent, a la Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortenson and Liv Tyler, a sort of Irish brogue a la Sean Astin, or none of the above?

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 17 2013, 7:30am

Post #18 of 23 (247 views)
Shortcut
Was that supposed to be Irish? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sean Astin's accent, I mean. I never could quite pin that one down - and it wasn't really like any Irish accent that I'm familiar with.

Accents aren't easy. It's better not to try unless you can pull it off, I think.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 11:17am

Post #19 of 23 (239 views)
Shortcut
Your guess is as good as mine. [In reply to] Can't Post

It definitely wasn't his normal speaking voice, though. There were times where it sounded a little Irish (or maybe even Welsh?) to me, e.g. "Bouy roights we shooldn't even be hehre, but we ohre. It's loike in the great stories, Mr. Frodo -- the woanes that really maTTered."... or, at least, an average American actor's approximation of one. Unimpressed Either way, it's the dodgiest accent in the trilogy. But at the same time, I can't help but think it would've sounded even more awkward to have him speak in his normal American voice; it may have stuck out even more.

(This post was edited by BalrogTrainer on Feb 17 2013, 11:19am)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2013, 2:48pm

Post #20 of 23 (242 views)
Shortcut
Astin's accent [In reply to] Can't Post

The accent Astin and the dialogue coaches were after for Sam was a "West Country" accent. (Which as an American I could not tell from any other...) Astin describes the process of learning it in this interview:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/12/22/ign-interviews-sean-astin?page=10

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 17 2013, 5:46pm

Post #21 of 23 (225 views)
Shortcut
That makes more sense... [In reply to] Can't Post

West Country, as in Gloucester, makes more sense than Irish, although I can't really judge how well he did with that accent.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Feb 17 2013, 7:25pm

Post #22 of 23 (238 views)
Shortcut
What about Lee Pace? // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 11:08pm

Post #23 of 23 (275 views)
Shortcut
Ah, you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

For whatever reason, I always thought he was English. Crazy At any rate, I'd imagine he'd speak in much the same way as Elrond and Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.