What do you like best?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 14 2013, 1:30pm

Post #51 of 69 (872 views)
Shortcut
Drat you, Ro, it is hard to choose!! [In reply to] Can't Post

But if I had to pick one, single thing - Thorin. And since that's a big hunk of the movie, I will say, the moment he tells Bilbo "I have never been so wrong" on the Carrock. Though his role in the Erebor prologue, his dealings with Elrond, and his fight with Azog (at the end) are other favorites.

If I could mention other things - The Riddles sequence was great, as was Bilbo's pity. As, generally, was Martin Freeman as Bilbo. And, I loved the entire opening sequence in Bag End starting with Gandalf and Bilbo's meeting, through to Bilbo running out his front door holding the contract. That was basically perfect, all, what, 20+ minutes of it?

DiveTwin
Rohan

Feb 14 2013, 3:31pm

Post #52 of 69 (856 views)
Shortcut
In Line With My Thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'll start from the beginning of the film:

Prologue was done very well. I loved the general design of Erebor. Seeing the miners hanging on chains, with the twinkling candlelight illuminating the mountain was an incredible shot. I love that it harkened back to the mithril scene in the EE FOTR. Thranduil was also awesome. I'm a big fan of that elk.

The good morning conversation was great. Excellent acting by Freeman and Mckellen. I also especially loved Dwalin and Balins arrivals at Bag End. They were done perfectly, and really made it seem very confusing and frustrating for Bilbo. Of course, the dwarves singing was excellent. Loved the shot of the sparks from the fire as the camera pans up the chimney of Bag End. Bilbo running out his door was probably my favorite moment in the whole film. The excellent music by Howard Shore, and the beautiful shots of Hobbiton make that a really iconic scene for me. It was one that made me feel most nostalgic for the LOTR films. Loved Bilbo forgetting his handkerchief, the film wouldn't be The Hobbit without it...

....pretends whole middle section of the film doesn't exist.....

Everything about Riddles in the Dark was pretty much perfect for me. I don't even think I can pick a specific shot or scene during that sequence simply because I like all of it so much. When Gandalf blows away all the goblins and you see his silhouette appear (with his shiny new theme song playing as well) was such an awesome moment for the character. Perfect. The pity of Bilbo was also one of my favorite scenes in the movie. I love how Bilbo sees the company escaping but can't speak up or do anything. You can feel his frustration.

I also really enjoyed the shots of the company on the eagles. I'm not a big fan of the way the sequence prior to that was done, but those scenics of the Eagles flying, with that excellent music in the background is beautiful.

Your review of the good points (and suggestion towards what didn't work) mirror my feelings exactly. There are excellent moments in the film that I felt were very well done - and you pretty much hit on those. I am also among those that found parts of the film in the middle and end to be less enjoyable or regrettable but those thoughts are for another thread. Looking forward to the darker parts of the story coming with The Desolation of Smaug and There And Back Again.

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 14 2013, 3:59pm

Post #53 of 69 (855 views)
Shortcut
Why I loved this movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I still feel very much the same way I did when I saw it for the first time. So instead of going into a long diatribe about how I liked it I'll just repost the link to my thoughts on the movie.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2013, 6:06pm

Post #54 of 69 (839 views)
Shortcut
The prologue [In reply to] Can't Post

and the unexpected party are my favourite moments.

Vous commencez ą m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2013, 6:16pm

Post #55 of 69 (843 views)
Shortcut
When it stuck close to Tolkien's story, it was excellent. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my favorite part had to be the Gandalf rescue in Goblin Town. The escape was a little much haha, but all-in-all I liked it. I liked the troll scene a lot, the dwarven songs were great, and the Gollum scene was great as well. I liked the "Out of the Frying Pan.." scene a lot too, although I felt it was a bit early in the story to turn BIlbo into a hero. I guess it served to set up the ending though, so is what it is.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2013, 6:27pm

Post #56 of 69 (859 views)
Shortcut
I loved it all... but some things off the top of my head... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Prologue - The Scenes inside Erebor/Discovery of the Arkenstone
  2. The whole "Good Morning" Sequence
  3. Map and Key/Quest Setup (Particularly Martin Freeman's reactions)
  4. Misty Mountain singing
  5. Bilbo waking up and ultimately deciding to go (beautiful)
  6. Balin's flashback story of Thorin earning his name of Oakenshield
  7. Rivendell Moon Runes
  8. White Council
  9. Gandalf/Galadriel exchange (loved it)
  10. Stone Giants
  11. All of the Misty Mountains over/under (Gandalf's magic and power, escaping the Goblins... HFR 3D rocked me here... awesome)
  12. Riddles in the Dark (chilling, hilarious, tragic, exactly what I had hoped it would be)
  13. Bilbo sparing Gollum's life (teared up here/get's me everytime)
  14. Escaping the Misty Mountains and Bilbo's explanation (also makes me tear up... loved this)
  15. Frying Pan into the Fire (all of it, visually stunning) Chills when Thorin makes a stand.
  16. Eagle Rescue (HFR 3D made me feel like I was right there, truly breathtaking)
  17. I loved Thorin's apology on the Eyrie
  18. Looking ahead and the brief little Smaug Cameo

Standout performances for me
  • Ian McKellan
  • Martin Freeman
  • Richard Armitage
  • Andy Serkis
  • Ken Stott
  • James Nesbitt

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

GloryBox
Bree

Feb 14 2013, 8:26pm

Post #57 of 69 (820 views)
Shortcut
Your YouTube link is fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a happy video -- and you're right -- it has many of my favorite things as well!

...one morning long ago in the quiet of the world, when there was less noise and more green... The Hobbit

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 14 2013, 10:14pm

Post #58 of 69 (841 views)
Shortcut
P.P.S. Gollum's 4 initial yesses. // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Tintallė on Feb 14 2013, 10:14pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 2:44am

Post #59 of 69 (805 views)
Shortcut
Many things.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin "..." Freeman. Best...hobbit...ever. The spot on characterization of Bilbo. Absolutely flawless performance. His facial expressions are typical Martin and add so much to the dialogue. He's a winner.
The Prologue. I loved the context PJ gave to the story and the dwarves flight from Erebor. It think it added depth to the story
Richard Armitage as Thorin. Thorin is a much deeper and richer character here given the prologue etc. The payoff in film 3 is going to be huge.
Riddles in the Dark. Absolutely fantastic. Along with Andy Serkis' Gollum, it was a perfect characterization of that scene in the book. Loved how each of the actors played off each other.
Bag End. Loved the dwarves singing, glad it was included.
Goblin Town: I thought the overall CGI of Goblin town was great. I loved seeing the little goblin hovels up high on the walls. Nice touch.
The Eagles. Very well done and really enjoyed their majesty.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2013, 3:34am

Post #60 of 69 (834 views)
Shortcut
RA interview re: dwarves, Thorin etc [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, I completely agree with you that Thorin is a deeper and richer character! I didn't see this interview with RA when it came out in Oct. 2012, but it's a fantastic interview, and he discusses Thorin quite a bit. It's especially interesting to me what he said about Thorin's dark side to come and what changes it will bring to his character. I love this stuff!

Enjoy!
http://collider.com/...he-hobbit-interview/

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 4:16am

Post #61 of 69 (789 views)
Shortcut
Good find. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yup, I completely agree with you that Thorin is a deeper and richer character! I didn't see this interview with RA when it came out in Oct. 2012, but it's a fantastic interview, and he discusses Thorin quite a bit. It's especially interesting to me what he said about Thorin's dark side to come and what changes it will bring to his character. I love this stuff!

Enjoy!
http://collider.com/...he-hobbit-interview/

Excellent interview. I hadn't read that one or Martin Freeman's on the same page. Very good indeed. I just can't wait. Thorin is going to rock socks at the Arkenstone, the BoT5A and both he and Martin will be bringing the house down in that final scene between them. I cannot wait.

Tintallė
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 4:23am

Post #62 of 69 (798 views)
Shortcut
I had best not forget MY pocket handkerchief for that final scene! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 4:34am

Post #63 of 69 (777 views)
Shortcut
Nor I [In reply to] Can't Post

And based on Freeman's performance in The Reichenbach Fall at the end of the episode in Sherlock, I'm thinking we are going to need plenty of them. I read even his wife (partner) Amanda gave him a friendly punch in the shoulder for making her cry after she watched the episode. Between Freeman and RA, it's going to be a major tearjerker. I'm preparing myself already!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2013, 4:41am

Post #64 of 69 (775 views)
Shortcut
Exactly my thought after watching that episode of Sherlock!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2013, 6:50am

Post #65 of 69 (793 views)
Shortcut
*Possible Spoiler* Yes, Freeman's performance at the end [In reply to] Can't Post

of the Reichenbach Fall was one of the most emotionally devastating bits of acting I've ever witnessed. And he can convey grief and heartbreak in such a subtle, understated way. Yeah, I think the scene to come between him and RA is going to bring us to our knees.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Feb 15 2013, 6:58am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2013, 3:44pm

Post #66 of 69 (764 views)
Shortcut
I appreciate actors that don't chew the scenery. [In reply to] Can't Post

As you said, conveying grief and loss in an understated way and with the mere look on the face is better than any actor that over acts. Both MF and RA don't chew the scenery and along with Fran's script and using Tolkien's words there, I think it will be a truly awesome, heartbreaking and yet inspiring scene. I can't wait.

Escapist
Gondor

Feb 15 2013, 11:49pm

Post #67 of 69 (734 views)
Shortcut
I loved all the moments that made me laugh. [In reply to] Can't Post

And this time when I laughed there was a theater full of people laughing out loud with me instead of me just chuckling and smirking to myself while reading.

I loved the whole Bag-End scene - all of it.
I like the twists on the troll scene - they were clever and delightful.
I loved the extra character and personalities in the villains.
The sneakiness of Gandalf was awesome.
Radagast was a great take on an obscure and scantily written-about character.

It was the light-heartedness that made it so easy to watch the movie over and over again no matter what my mood was and end up feeling great at the end and wanting more.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 18 2013, 12:19am

Post #68 of 69 (722 views)
Shortcut
I love how much the Dwarves have come to life [In reply to] Can't Post

I never had trouble imagining the appearance of LotR characters; but I have to admit I didn't put a presence to each of the dwarves and only a slight imagination of Thorin. These films have made me fall in love with each and every dwarf. They have personalities, faces, mannerisms, uniqueness... yet they're so united! They're a family, a team, and they laugh together! They joke, they fret, they flare up, they do laundry. Even if there was never another moment of this story released on film, I'd be forever grateful for bringing them to life.

The same goes for Bilbo. Gandalf and he have always had a very strong presence in my reader imagination... but now they're brilliant! Bright as stars!

I also love the diversions from the story that have carried the journey forward, but created some real surprises. Bilbo tied up in a sack... hopping around and messing with the Trolls' minds as he stalled for time. Parasites in their tubes! I sit here giggling just thinking about it!

There are more than I have time to share here and now... but I'm completely happy with Peter's telling of this story! We're so lucky!

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 18 2013, 12:38am

Post #69 of 69 (850 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Gimli was exactly like I imagined. So after seeing FOTR and then reading the books I went into The Hobbit with that type of look. Obviously, I made changes based on what was in The Hobbit but when images came out for the movie they looked different. It took me a little getting used to but I am glad they look different. It makes them each their own Dwarf and for better mental images than I had in my mind. Now, I will mix what Tolkien wrote with Jackson's image to creat a slightly different look when reading.

(This post was edited by Elessar on Feb 18 2013, 12:41am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.