Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TH:AUJ shutout at BAFTAs--0-3
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 11 2013, 3:45pm

Post #26 of 38 (413 views)
Shortcut
sigh [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope TH will win at least one award for Make Up. I thought turning those actors into dwarves was fantastic. And they lost this category to Les Mis? Really? sigh.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 11 2013, 8:18pm

Post #27 of 38 (361 views)
Shortcut
Agree Completely [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, how can any film board have movies so totally different in the same category? There is no comparison between the make-up in Les Miz and TH. The make-up in TH is exponentially more difficult. But my take has always been that the Academy was angry that it had to acknowledge the greatness of LOTR and is punishing PJ with its disdain for TH.

Clifton8
The Shire

Feb 11 2013, 8:18pm

Post #28 of 38 (339 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely no reason to be upset at this point!!!

TABA will be epic and again a clean sweep with the awards.

dubulous
Rohan

Feb 11 2013, 8:43pm

Post #29 of 38 (355 views)
Shortcut
I've seen Life of Pi [In reply to] Can't Post

and in my opinion it had nothing AUJ on any level - not as a movie and not with visuals. But it is the movie with better buzz so it will probably keep winning AUJ.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 12:10am

Post #30 of 38 (294 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I didn't really expect any to be honest.I think the film boards both here and in the US will pretty much ignore it save for one or two nods.I would imagine this is down to the fact that,as others have said,the 'vision' is not new anymore,they probably feel they've seen it all before which to a certain extent they have.also 'life of pi' is the flavour of the month kind of film just as the rings films were when they came out,rightly so as it is a top film.so we shouldn't read too much in to lack of awards for as we all know there have been many great movies made that never won anything.a film doesn't have to win awards to be loved or enjoyed.

This is my feeling as well. It may get one or two (I am hoping for one or two acting nods by the end) but barring that Im not too confident it will snag any more exactly for the reasons you've stated.

burrahobbit
Rohan

Feb 12 2013, 12:24am

Post #31 of 38 (305 views)
Shortcut
Better chance with DoS and TaBA [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be surprised if AUJ misses out on the Oscars also. Technical awards tend to go to films also nominated for the major best film/director/actor awards.

Since DoS brings many more new characters and locations, including hopefully an amazing Smaug, it seems a more likely candidate for Visual Effects awards. The 'more of the same' feeling associated with AUJ should be less applicable to the coming films.

Silmaril
Lorien

Feb 12 2013, 9:57am

Post #32 of 38 (388 views)
Shortcut
Stephen Fry mocks The Hobbit at BAFTAs [In reply to] Can't Post

http://tvnz.co.nz/...99/video?vid=5338714

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 2:18pm

Post #33 of 38 (304 views)
Shortcut
A risky gambit [In reply to] Can't Post

though that was at a British awards ceremony, after all.

imin
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 2:27pm

Post #34 of 38 (292 views)
Shortcut
Haha so true! [In reply to] Can't Post

He also said another joke to this effect before MF came out to present the award for Best Documentary - really seems to be having a go at his former employees expense! Tongue

Nightwing
Bree

Feb 13 2013, 4:07am

Post #35 of 38 (230 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

It's simply not a very good film.

Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh can't write, and Galadriel is not the most powerful being in all of Middle-earth. She is inferior to Sauron, Saruman, and Gandalf.

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 13 2013, 7:11am

Post #36 of 38 (218 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, I enjoy criticism. But this just sounds bitter. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Especially connected to this signature and the endless rage over ONE quote by Boyens... in which she tried to say something quite different then putting up an all-time power list of ME Crazy

(This post was edited by Arannir on Feb 13 2013, 7:13am)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2013, 11:42am

Post #37 of 38 (189 views)
Shortcut
Maybe so... [In reply to] Can't Post

But that is down to scriptwriting and characterization choices. All those at Weta, Weta Digital and on the art/costume/make-up production teams, etc, have done an incredible job as usual bringing M-e to life and fully deserve their nominations - and hopefully, wins.

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 12:11pm

Post #38 of 38 (385 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel As Written [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Sorry, I enjoy criticism. But this just sounds bitter. Especially connected to this signature and the endless rage over ONE quote by Boyens... in which she tried to say something quite different then putting up an all-time power list of ME Crazy

There has been recent discussion that Gandalf has been written as subservient to Galadriel despite Gandalf being more god to Galadriel as written by Tolkien. Regarding Galadriel and Tauriel, Boyens is also on record as wanting to bring a feminine power [in a story full of males]. I would posit for sake of argument that, while demographics are important to big budget films, there is a somewhat sexist agenda in Boyens' writing and she is also on record as using Writing 101 dogma. To wit, the "dramatic reversal" in "Go home Sam" which was certainly not a popular change to the story. So the attitude toward her is not completely held in a vacuum.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Feb 13 2013, 12:17pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.