Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Box Office Update
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 8:35pm

Post #51 of 64 (305 views)
Shortcut
It had an excellent hold today in US [In reply to] Can't Post

4% drop since last Monday, that is very good, 300 million is not an "if" anymore, but "when"

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 8:36pm

Post #52 of 64 (308 views)
Shortcut
It's also interesting to note... [In reply to] Can't Post

that the number of screens stayed the same at 1001.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Steven Van der Berg
Rivendell

Feb 12 2013, 9:02pm

Post #53 of 64 (295 views)
Shortcut
Unexpectedly good hold. [In reply to] Can't Post

If these percentages were to hold through the week, even if the screen-count were to drop to around 6-7 hundred this Friday, going into the weekend , with expected percentage drops for the weekend, there is still a chance of breaking 300M early next week. Heck, if the weekend were to hold, which I'm just a little pessimistic to get my hopes up for...woah, we're there.

(This post was edited by Steven Van der Berg on Feb 12 2013, 9:12pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 9:09pm

Post #54 of 64 (282 views)
Shortcut
Theater count never goes down on mondays. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, provided nothing else opens on Monday, which it usually never does. Friday is the day.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 9:13pm

Post #55 of 64 (277 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, great hold [In reply to] Can't Post

If only it had happened sooner, when it was still doing much more per day. Wink

The theater count loss this upcoming Friday might be very high, though. 4 new movies open, all in around 3000 theaters. And i've heard Hobbit is losing its IMAX screens.

Anyway, it's getting to $300m, that's all that matters now.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Feb 12 2013, 9:15pm)

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 9:13pm

Post #56 of 64 (275 views)
Shortcut
So it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

Friday is the day.

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 9:17pm

Post #57 of 64 (273 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... wonder if WB will keep the screen count... [In reply to] Can't Post

at 1100 or reduce the number this Friday as they have for the past 6 weeks?

(This post was edited by Owain on Feb 12 2013, 9:17pm)

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 12 2013, 9:20pm

Post #58 of 64 (281 views)
Shortcut
Box Office Spin [In reply to] Can't Post

I've followed a number of the box office threads on this forum because I find the box office numbers interesting, I guess. But I've noticed an odd trend. Maybe I'm over simplifying, but it really feels like the interpretation of box office numbers has become very similar to a political debate. Whenever any new development occurs, one side spins it so that it is seen as evidence of the movie being a box office success, while the other side spins in so that the new development is seen as evidence of the movie being a box office failure. There have been pages of posts going back and forth between both sides and I guess I just don't understand it. I find the box office numbers and the tickets sold and the ticket price inflation all to be interesting subjects, actually, but I don't understand the need to spin everything as either "Disappointing!" or "Success!". I get the sense that each side feels the other is biased and trying to present reality as something other than it actually is.

I'm not really trying to criticize anyone, but I do find the tone of these threads to be very odd. I do get the sense that those who see things as positive for the film's box office tend to be more positive about how good the film was and those who tend to be more negative about the film's box office also tend to be more negative about the film itself. So maybe it's about trying to use the box office as a proxy for public opinion and spinning it so that it is on your side? I don't know. I might not be correct and am probably over-simplifying. A lot of interesting takes have come out of the discussion, but I do find it funny that everything is always a back and forth in terms of success vs. disappointment.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 9:31pm

Post #59 of 64 (276 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that financial success at the Box Office... [In reply to] Can't Post

is indicative of whether a movie is bad, good, great etc...

There are plenty of great movies, in my opinion, that were box office failures or performed "modestly".

I think people enjoy rooting for movies, hoping that many others will derive the same if not similar enjoyment, as a shared experience that creates community. Fans. Box Office, ticket stubs... I think these are just metrics that people try to look at to see if a work has gained some kind of traction.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 9:50pm

Post #60 of 64 (258 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

A lot of discussion is also about: how much did they expect it to gross, and when or why is it a failure or success?

For instance, if WB would have gone public and said "We expected The Hobbit to gross 3 billion and now heads will roll because it didn't" then well it's safe to say that their expectations are not met. However, as we do not know, in fact we don't have a clue, we can only speculate.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Feb 12 2013, 9:50pm)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 11:18pm

Post #61 of 64 (226 views)
Shortcut
Well, wouldn't it be lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

if we could all be so neutral and objective.

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 12 2013, 11:35pm

Post #62 of 64 (222 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm probably biased too. [In reply to] Can't Post

To me, the box office certainly could have been better, but it also could have been worse. It seems to be doing well, but not as well as the first Trilogy did compared to other movies of the time. It's a Top 5 movie of the year or somewhere thereabouts rather than the Number 1 movie of the year in terms of box office. I don't think you can quite expect any particular movie to be the Number 1 movie of the year before it's even released, so I imagine the movie came in somewhere in the realm of expectations, but I can imagine someone expecting the movie to do better than it has.

Ok. That's probably a lot more boring than just saying, "This movie absoutely met expectations and I can prove it with these ticket sales numbers which are much lower than The Hobbit!!!!" or "This movie absolutely beat epectations because it's going to make $1 Billion worldwide - how can a billion dollars ever be a disappointment?!!!"

I don't really want to be overly critical of any posters and I fear I've crossed that line, but I took the risk because I thought it was an interesting dynamic. I'm really sorry for any offensse I might have caused.

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 12 2013, 11:44pm

Post #63 of 64 (212 views)
Shortcut
It is unfortunate that it isn't in more theatres. I was suprised to learn that it was no [In reply to] Can't Post

longer in the theater nearest to me, where it had been doing pretty well. I comment on it meriting more theaters because, by the per theater average, it is doing noticably better than other films that are ahead of it, including Les Miserables, Lincoln, Bullet to the head, Parker and even Mama. My largest remaining concern for it (like they are paying me based on its performance or something Tongue ) is how many Theatres it will get bumped back to when Thursday and Friday arrive, with this animated, all star alien movie, and another Die Hard film releasing.

In Reply To
that the number of screens stayed the same at 1001.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2013, 1:09am

Post #64 of 64 (273 views)
Shortcut
Oh, i was just being cheeky. [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually try to stay out of the box office "arguments", but i'm really pulling for The Hobbit Trilogy's success (especially after it took such a drubbing with the critics), so i get pulled in every once in a while. I check box office mojo every sunday night, then come here to see what everyone has to say. I just want it to cross the 300 mil./1 bil. barrier (and maybe pass Skyfall for 4th place for 2012), and then i'll be happy, and i'll probably/hopefully quit paying attention. Money isn't everything i've heard.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.