Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did anyone else notice this?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 10 2013, 3:26pm

Post #26 of 35 (289 views)
Shortcut
This is going into the Tidbits Geeky Observation List! THANKS! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2013, 3:33pm

Post #27 of 35 (296 views)
Shortcut
Great points [In reply to] Can't Post

It is true that people in Europe don't switch hands when eating. I wasn't sure if this was a consistency thing (with Ian) or as some have made a good point above whether it is an "industry" thing where they always do it right handed just because it's easier to train. Some great points in this thread.

Oh and thanks for the welcome to the TORN Message boards. Long time lurker here and I enjoy both the boards and the chats. Looking forward to posting now after such a long time reading ;)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2013, 5:46pm

Post #28 of 35 (291 views)
Shortcut
I also noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

Also he does pick up the ring with his left (Ian does it with his right hand I believe in the FOTR prologue). He also opens the door to bag end with his left hand although the door handle is on the right hand side. It does swing to the left though so this does make sense.

Another thing I thought about (in relation to the sword thing) is that maybe they train that in film in TV that way because if you have two people facing each other visually the swords may look better on opposite sides. That is, two right handed people are going to have the swords at angles to each other whereas a lefty handed wielder and a right handed wielder would have the swords on the "same" side as they face each other.

Geeky I know. Just something I was thinking about. There is a long time after all till Desolation of Smaug and I have to think of something entertaining!

I wish someone in one of those interviews they do on the press junkets would ask instead of asking for the 10,000,000 time "how does it feel to be playing Bilbo" ;)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 10 2013, 6:14pm

Post #29 of 35 (286 views)
Shortcut
*boing* [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got your user name.

clever. It's fun to see the clever names people come up with. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

imin
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 12:46am

Post #30 of 35 (248 views)
Shortcut
I am right handed [In reply to] Can't Post

but use a fork in my right, knife in left. I write with my right but i am ambidextrous so that probably helps, lol, - when i first played guitar it felt more natural to me to play it left handed though my right arm is dominant for using tools e.g. a saw or for throwing.

Weird Crazy

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 11 2013, 2:45am

Post #31 of 35 (217 views)
Shortcut
us Lefty's are in Our right minds!../// [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 11 2013, 5:05am

Post #32 of 35 (228 views)
Shortcut
Recalling a moment in 'The Princess Bride' [In reply to] Can't Post

that makes me think fight trainers can adjust just fine to lefty stars and stunties...

Westley: Why are you smiling?
Inigo: Because I know something you don't know.
Westley: And what is that?
Inigo: I am not left-handed.
(Moves his sword to his right hand)
Westley: You are amazing.
Inigo: I ought to be, after 20 years.
Westley: Oh, there's something I ought to tell you.
Inigo: Tell me.
Westley: I'm not left-handed either.
(Moves his sword to his right hand)

Epic sword fight, that one! And doesn't Bernard Hill do all his other fighting with his left hand holding the sword?

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 11 2013, 5:07am

Post #33 of 35 (224 views)
Shortcut
And bread knives! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my very useful possessions is my left-handed bread knife.Cool

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 7:05am

Post #34 of 35 (189 views)
Shortcut
leftright left rightleftriiiiiii [In reply to] Can't Post

I am right handed, and right brained... or is it left? I am also slightly dyslexic... artist, no left brain, can't do math... or is it right?

Actually still get left and right mixed up... except eons ago when I was in the Society for Creative Anachronisms and used a sword and shield, then friends would yell out (as we were driving) turn right now, no no, SWORD SIDE!...

Also learned right and left well in Japanese because I was taking shotokan karate and the commands for left and right stances were in Japanese... for awhile, I could remember right and left better in Japanese because the words were connected to a physical movement.

I may have been born lefty and forced to use the right... I still can't do some things right handed, like drive, or ride holding the reins in the right hand (though correctly, you DO hold them in the left, so your right is free to use sword or six-gun or lasso, if you're one of those cowboy types).

Thank god kayaks are ambidextrous and symmetrical... (I ... hate... canoes....).

And to keep my very small team of sleddogs sane, I have mittens with "gee" on the right one, and "haw" on the left...

a few boaters I know do something similar with port and starboard on their gloves. Doesn't work on Viking ships though... you are facing backwards when you row... so starboard (where the steerboard is) is on your left...

Go outside and play...

malla
Bree

Feb 13 2013, 5:16am

Post #35 of 35 (240 views)
Shortcut
left handed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although he did pick up the ring with his left hand

and he later caught it with his left hand after his fall....
....but don't forget...he was holding his sword (Sting) in his right hand at those times.

He does do other things during the movie with his left, i.e. he feeds Myrtle the apple with his left.

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.