Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Swords King: yak-hair beards, dwarf design, and Thorin's hair

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Feb 9 2013, 7:02am

Post #1 of 13 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Peter Swords King: yak-hair beards, dwarf design, and Thorin's hair Can't Post

King's team... decided to forgo yak hair in favor of human hair to make Thorin stand out from the tribe.

No kidding, eh, ladies?

The Academy Award winner for LOTR and nominee for TH about creating hair and make-up for The Hobbit.
http://www.vanityfair.com/...k-hair-beard#slide=1

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 9 2013, 8:29am

Post #2 of 13 (495 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

for the fun and interesting article. Me being one of Thorin's Hair admirers, I'm grateful they did what they did. I imagine, though, that there are a lot of hairless yaks running around saying, "Curse that Peter Swords Kingses! We hates him forever!"
Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2013, 9:51am

Post #3 of 13 (516 views)
Shortcut
Well, that explains it... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's hair is fantastic because it looks better than a yak's! Erm, actually, not sure that's much of a compliment.

Yaks don't smell so great either, do they? Just wonderin'...

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 9 2013, 11:26am

Post #4 of 13 (488 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting article. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, the hair! Yes, Thorin wears his hair better than anybody else!
Also, MF is very hobbity like they said. As I was watching the movie yesterday, I was thinking to myself, he is even more hobbity than Billy Boyd as Pippin. I never thought anyone could do that.

" He has just as much reason to go to war as you do. Why can he not fight for those he loves?"

imin
Valinor

Feb 9 2013, 11:55am

Post #5 of 13 (482 views)
Shortcut
Who would have thought long greasy hair would be so attractive?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will have to show my parents and say ' remember when i was a teen and had greasy hair and said girls didnt mind, well see i have proof now!' Tongue

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 9 2013, 4:55pm

Post #6 of 13 (389 views)
Shortcut
Think it's interesting that Martin Freeman was old Bilbo in the location shots. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Ian Holm couldn't travel, they used MF in prosthetics for the exterior locations shots. Fun!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 9 2013, 9:03pm

Post #7 of 13 (347 views)
Shortcut
This may help you work it out... [In reply to] Can't Post

[under heading 'Using Yak Fiber', sub-heading 'Fiber preparation and spinning tips']
The hair, should you have some, will feel ornery and opinionated but can be spun into interesting, heavily textured, strong yarns; it's tempting to call them cords instead.
---- The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook

The finest yak down is comparable to cashmere and qiviut, but the hair is "ornery and opinionated". Sounds dwarvish to me even without any info on what it smells like. And yes, I do need to get a life! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 10:40am

Post #8 of 13 (264 views)
Shortcut
Ornery and opinionated! [In reply to] Can't Post

No wonder they used yak hair; it's perfect! Too funny.

Kimtc
Rohan

Feb 10 2013, 11:26pm

Post #9 of 13 (242 views)
Shortcut
When I was in HS, all the yearbook pet peeves were "greasy hair" [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, any guy with hair like that back then was automatically out. Now, of course, I would turn into a puddle of mush around someone (Thorin, Aragorn, etc.) who had hair like that. It is my primary focus in most Thorin scenes, next to the eyes (which I presume where not enhanced with contacts--they are all RA). Heck, I would even be willing to be the Thorin wig wrangler, just to touch it.

Unfortunately, the one photo I have seen of Bard does not bode as well for his hair. Which is too bad, because Luke Evans is one good looking guy.

In Reply To
I will have to show my parents and say ' remember when i was a teen and had greasy hair and said girls didnt mind, well see i have proof now!' Tongue

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 10 2013, 11:48pm

Post #10 of 13 (226 views)
Shortcut
I've actually thought this... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Think it's interesting that Martin Freeman was old Bilbo in the location shots. Because Ian Holm couldn't travel, they used MF in prosthetics for the exterior locations shots. Fun!

... since i first saw the trailer (almost 100%, really)-- nice to finally see it confirmed!

imin
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 12:29am

Post #11 of 13 (210 views)
Shortcut
You make me laugh :) :P [In reply to] Can't Post

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 11 2013, 3:32am

Post #12 of 13 (229 views)
Shortcut
The eyes have it (a diversion) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I will vouch for RA's eyes. He has an intensity that's quite remarkable. If you've seen the last scene of "North and South" you know of what I speak. Makes women weak in the knees, he does! Of course, the hair helps. I love your 'wig wrangler' comment! LOL! Good one! It probably would require a wrangler, to keep it all in order.

Regarding The Bard's hair, it's probably a good thing it's not up at the top of the Thorin Scale of Hair Enhancement. We wouldn't want a Hair Wars on our hands! WinkTongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 7:07am

Post #13 of 13 (204 views)
Shortcut
OMG!!! ded of lol [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
[under heading 'Using Yak Fiber', sub-heading 'Fiber preparation and spinning tips']
The hair, should you have some, will feel ornery and opinionated but can be spun into interesting, heavily textured, strong yarns; it's tempting to call them cords instead.
---- The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook

The finest yak down is comparable to cashmere and qiviut, but the hair is "ornery and opinionated". Sounds dwarvish to me even without any info on what it smells like. And yes, I do need to get a life! ;)

Go outside and play...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.