Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Questions about Hobbit blu-rays at Amazon.com

Feb 8 2013, 5:33pm

Post #1 of 8 (796 views)
Questions about Hobbit blu-rays at Amazon.com Can't Post

Some questions, not sure if they are 100% answerable at this point.

1) For the 5 disc 3D blu-ray multi-pack, will the special features appear on:

a) 3D blu-ray only (in 2D since I presume they were not filmed in 3D)
b) 2D blu-ray only
c) DVD only
d) 3D blu-ray and DVD
e) 2D blu-ray and DVD
f) 3D blu-ray, 2D blu-ray, and DVD

It seems like #f would be redundant, unless the special features were filmed in 3D. It also seems since (I presume) 3D requires more disk space than 2D, there will be more room on the 2D blu-rays for the special features. Also, the DVD-only option seems unlikely, since the vlogs were HD. So my guess is either #b (2D blu-ray only) or #e (2D blu-ray and DVD).

2) Will the Amazon.com (not uk) blu-rays and dvds be region-free? I'm in NZ, so want to make sure I can actually play both the blu-rays and DVDs.

3) If we don't receive the discs before the DoS sneak-peak, will we be able to view it online afterwards? Or will we need to wait until someone posts it (illegally perhaps) to YouTube?

4) There was an Amazon (US) page for the 3D multi-pack a couple days ago; I think it was linked from blu-ray.com or a similar site. That page appears to be gone now. Does this mean it's not available for preorder from Amazon (US) yet?

And finally:

5) Anyone know when the 3D blu-rays will be available for pre-order from stores within NZ?

Feb 8 2013, 6:01pm

Post #2 of 8 (430 views)
Special Features [In reply to] Can't Post

The special features should be on all of them unless they do something totally different from previous releases I've bought.

As far as region free from regular Amazon.com I believe they can be played in most regions when purchasing from the US Amazon. The code I would guess will be emailed to you in order for you to get in on the DoS event. That's my guess anyways.

Feb 8 2013, 9:34pm

Post #3 of 8 (351 views)
Do we know when Amazon is going to put it up for sale? [In reply to] Can't Post

It still shows as unavailable, although it has a photo with the Frodo cover art (not for the Gandalf 3D version).

Feb 8 2013, 9:54pm

Post #4 of 8 (341 views)
Well..... [In reply to] Can't Post

They had it up for a short bit the other day and then pulled it back down. I'm like you just waiting for it to go back up so I can secure my order and then wait for the postman to show up. Cool

The Shire

Feb 9 2013, 12:38pm

Post #5 of 8 (271 views)
Region Free [In reply to] Can't Post

The DVDs are very unlikely to be region free. As far as I'm aware, all big studio productions are region locked.

The blu-rays COULD be, however. I wouldn't trust Amazon with that though; they often get it wrong. When blu-ray's are released, there are a number of sites that check which region they play in.

(These sites are trustworthy - I use them on my trips to America to bring back to the UK)

But you would have to wait for it to be released and tested which could take a while.

To quote Bilbo: 'I wouldn't risk it, I really wouldn't.'

Feb 9 2013, 12:55pm

Post #6 of 8 (250 views)
Warner BluRays are region-free... [In reply to] Can't Post

...however, this probably won't be the case for the DVD version. Also, the Digital Copy might be limited to US and Canada.

Russian LotR/Hobbit Site:

Henneth-annun.ru - the Russian LOTR site

Rohirrim Rider

Feb 10 2013, 9:12am

Post #7 of 8 (185 views)
The bonus features will be on their own disc [In reply to] Can't Post

The discs split up like this:

1. 3D film part 1
2. 3D film part 2
3. 2D film
4. Bonus features
5. DVD - film only

The bonus features won't be included on DVD as that is being released as a two-disc set (film on one, bonus features on the second) and we're only getting the one DVD disc in the package - not the extras disc. Though it is possible that a couple of the small extras - trailers and the 6 minute New Zealand featurette - may be on the first disc of the DVD (so the eventual single-disc release has something on it), if so we will have them included on the DVD as well.

The 2D blu-ray will be the same though of course omitting the two 3D film discs. That's why the 3D set is five discs and the 2D version is three discs.

(This post was edited by Rohirrim Rider on Feb 10 2013, 9:16am)

Feb 10 2013, 5:41pm

Post #8 of 8 (223 views)
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the info. Where did you find out how the discs will be organized?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.