Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Elessar Stone

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 3:21pm

Post #1 of 5 (703 views)
Shortcut
The Elessar Stone Can't Post

Now we all know that the Elessar Stone is green, but when I first saw that brooch on Galadriel's dress I said "Elessar Stone." The brooch has a vaguely bird-like appearance -- the sides look like wings. When Aragorn receives the stone it is set in a brooch that looks like an eagle. So what is going on here?

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 6:56pm

Post #2 of 5 (301 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it's the Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, if you're talking about the broach in this picture. I think it's just meant to be a broach. I think that Arwen's Evenstar pendant in the LOTR films kind of took the place of the Elessar, so it wouldn't really serve any purpose to put the Elessar in these films since it doesn't end up gong anywhere. Also, Galadriel's broach here looks more leaf-like than wing-like to me.

Interesting observation, though. Something to keep an eye on in the next few films.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Feb 8 2013, 7:04pm

Post #3 of 5 (271 views)
Shortcut
The Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

is a large green gem so it does not appear this brooch is meant to represent it.

Whatever is bad or indifferent about aspects of these movies, I look at a picture like that and think there are aspects that they well and truly nailed, she looks so powerful and beautiful and elven.

(This post was edited by ElendilTheShort on Feb 8 2013, 7:07pm)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 8 2013, 8:59pm

Post #4 of 5 (238 views)
Shortcut
You are right [In reply to] Can't Post

that the broach looks more like twigs than wings. Perhaps they were trying to "channel" the Elessar.

Here's a thought about Arwen's necklace. I never connected that with the Elessar. I thought they were using it to represent her immortality because they had to have some visual way of doing that. Then they could have a physical way of her handing her immortality away. And I always thought the movie-necklace was more like the necklace Arwen gave to Frodo at the end of the book- ROTK.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 9:47pm

Post #5 of 5 (287 views)
Shortcut
Actually, yes, I agree with that, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it also acts similarly to the Elessar in that it's a pledge of their betrothal. But I totally agree about it symbolizing her giving up of immortality.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.