Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's John William's birthday, let's have a listening party
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2013, 12:03am

Post #26 of 40 (92 views)
Shortcut
I was just going to post that one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Across the Stars is one of my favorite John Williams themes. I tend to shy away from overly epic music when I'm just sitting at home working on my own things, so his more Williamsy Indiana Jones/Star Wars/Superman themes generally will not be on my playlist. But Across the Stars is just beautiful!

(And, btw, if you ever watch the movie Hook, that Annakin/Padme love theme is absolutely reused throughout the movie)

‎"When we can take green from grass, blue from heaven, and red from blood, we have already an enchanter's power—upon one plane; and the desire to wield that power in the world
external to our minds awakes."
--J. R. R. Tolkien

Mozart and Chocolate

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Feb 11 2013, 12:13am

Post #27 of 40 (90 views)
Shortcut
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban [In reply to] Can't Post

That was one of my favorite soundtracks of Williams, just because of the range of styles it has. The most notable piece from that one specifically is, of course, Double Trouble (that's got to be one of my favorite settings of that text), just because it's so fun. Plus, it features singing frogs in the movie, and you can't beat that. Another one that I particularly like is Buckbeak's Flight. And, sometimes, I'll just listen to the End Credits, which features returning themes from the older Harry Potters, as well as music written just for the third one, including about a bazillion variations on the "Double Trouble" theme, and I like variations.

I found this excerpt here on George Lucas and Williams:

Lucas confessed that, back in the mid-1970s, he asked Spielberg for advice on a composer who might be able to write "an old-fashioned symphony orchestra score" for his space opera, and when Spielberg suggested Williams, Lucas responded, "Isn't he a jazz guy?" Spielberg responded, "Trust me," and the rest became cinema history. Lucas, describing the composer's quiet, reserved manner, called him "a casual genius."

Happy birthday, John Williams!!

‎"When we can take green from grass, blue from heaven, and red from blood, we have already an enchanter's power—upon one plane; and the desire to wield that power in the world
external to our minds awakes."
--J. R. R. Tolkien

Mozart and Chocolate

(This post was edited by Laerasëa on Feb 11 2013, 12:15am)

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 11 2013, 3:53am

Post #28 of 40 (87 views)
Shortcut
I went through many of the 100 listed, [In reply to] Can't Post

and many were nice, some really nice, some with a wow factor. But if beautiful and deeply moving means anything, it is the 'Hymn to the Fallen' from Saving Private Ryan. That was the one i liked best Magpie.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 11 2013, 5:43am

Post #29 of 40 (79 views)
Shortcut
I love Double Trouble, too ... and... re: end credits [In reply to] Can't Post

I still rent DVDs (such a dinosaur!) from Netflix and for most movies, I record the end credits before I send the disc back. It often has a nice assortment of score music and is fairly long.

I think, from the 14 screens I'm forced to watch in 3 different languages (sometimes more), that I am violating the law by doing this. But I do it anyhow. I think I have most of the HP movie end credits recorded off the DVDs.

I was watching episodes of Community when I heard some music I KNEW I knew. I knew I had this music because it was so familiar but I have this whopping playlist of Misc Movie Music that is just odds and ends of stuff and I listen but don't always know what is playing at any particular time. It took me awhile but I finally tracked down the source: Tristan and Isolde... I had recorded the end credits.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 11 2013, 5:51am

Post #30 of 40 (96 views)
Shortcut
listening now... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ejg-lPcFxU

It's lovely.

Straying off topic but... have you seen Band of Brothers. Wow. That show really made an impression on me and it has this beautiful theme song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHdn__8EXnA (first two minutes)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 11 2013, 12:28pm

Post #31 of 40 (80 views)
Shortcut
It's fantastic, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know people have their fair share of problems with the Star Wars prequels, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about William's work on them. He wrote loads of beautiful music for those films, but Across the Stars takes the cake, IMO.

I've never seen Hook, but I don't like it when I am watching a movie and it sounds like I'm watching a different one. I find it unfortunate when I'm pulled out of a movie because the music so distinctly reminds me of another.

ETA - Love your avatar!

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Feb 11 2013, 12:29pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 1:33pm

Post #32 of 40 (63 views)
Shortcut
Hymn to the Fallen [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that one.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 1:46pm

Post #33 of 40 (57 views)
Shortcut
IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

That song sounds far, far too much alike JW's score for the first two Harry Potter films, so it doesn't work for me very well. Especially since his early HP scores are among my favourites!

This in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oJ_qrwkADE

"Fawkes" is IMO by far the most beautiful piece of music of John Williams'. It's just wonderful.

Honorable mention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iClEaJz_A0A

imin
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 2:16pm

Post #34 of 40 (65 views)
Shortcut
Band of Brothers [In reply to] Can't Post

It is such a fantastic programme. Like you, it really made a lasting impression on me and think the theme music is beautiful and whenever i hear it instantly takes me back to memories of the programme.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 3:34pm

Post #35 of 40 (51 views)
Shortcut
I hear only one similarity [In reply to] Can't Post

in that Fawkes song. I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, so I don't know if the scores on a whole are more similar, but I didn't find this one to be very like Across the Stars, and I probably only noticed the part I did because you brought it up.

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 5:12pm

Post #36 of 40 (49 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it was that familiar to Fawkes [In reply to] Can't Post

Just the HP score in general. I linked Fawkes because that's my favourite track of the John William's score for HP.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 12 2013, 5:16pm

Post #37 of 40 (48 views)
Shortcut
Oh, ok. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do know that Williams would have been working on them all around the same time. Harry Potter 1, Star Wars 2, Harry Potter 2 - in that order, all in one year. Perhaps that's why there are similarities? One work maybe bled into another pretty easily?

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 13 2013, 3:51am

Post #38 of 40 (47 views)
Shortcut
Duel of the Fates, [In reply to] Can't Post

and The Imperial March are my top favorites (if such a thing is possible). I never get tired of listening to them.

Wink

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 14 2013, 3:34pm

Post #39 of 40 (40 views)
Shortcut
Duel of the Fates is wonderful! // [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 17 2013, 11:21pm

Post #40 of 40 (96 views)
Shortcut
Yes i have, [In reply to] Can't Post

and that score is very emotional. Actually Magpie our son (as a project in his 'Final Cut Pro' class in school) made a memorial CD to his grandfather using that theme. He used my pictures of him of years past and a couple others he found of him in his Marine uniform and with his wife. It was an amazing job.

He made copies of it and sent them all around to relatives. Every time my wife sees that CD of her father she cries, but she is not the only one.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.