Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What is your favourite film/TV adaptation of the King Arthur legend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What is your favourite film/TV adaptation of the King Arthur legend?
Knights of the Round Table (1953) 0 / 0%
Camelot (1967) 2 / 5%
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) 15 / 38%
Excalibur (1981) 7 / 18%
First Knight (1995) 2 / 5%
King Arthur (2004) 4 / 10%
Merlin (TV series and 1998 film) 4 / 10%
The Sword in the Stone (1963) 3 / 8%
Other 3 / 8%
40 total votes

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Feb 10 2013, 5:03pm

Post #26 of 37 (290 views)
Shortcut
Michael York & Arthur [In reply to] Can't Post

Michael York guest starred in an episode of Babylon 5, "A Late Delivery From Avalon," as a "delusion-ridden Earthforce gunner" who believed he was King Arthur. The episode played on a number of themes from the Authurian legend.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 11 2013, 7:56am

Post #27 of 37 (230 views)
Shortcut
I wonder how many applicants got that? [In reply to] Can't Post

And how many bothered to answer? Smile Too bad you didn't get the job, though. It seems like it might have been a fun place to work.

I'm so used to hanging out with the sort of people who love Monty Python that I sometimes forget that not everyone does. I had a French professor once who was always going off on Monty Python and Hitchhikers' Guide tangents, but I was about the only one in class who got them. It may have been that, because he was a visiting professor from Oxford, no one expected him to have a goofy sense of humor. Or maybe they just had no clue what he was going on about and just chalked it up to British eccentricity. Laugh

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 11 2013, 2:42pm

Post #28 of 37 (221 views)
Shortcut
And sometimes people are only interested in what's gonna be on the quiz [In reply to] Can't Post

gah I hated those kind of classes.

batik
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 12:39am

Post #29 of 37 (194 views)
Shortcut
Mists of Avalon for me, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I did like the other mini-series (??) "Merlin" with ...the guy who played Dr. Grant in Jurassic Park (I am drawing black on his name!) And...my son had a role in Camelot about a decade ago so I am partial to that version, too.
" If ever I would leave you - It wouldn't be in summer..." (sigh....whadda song!) For the most part, 2-3 hour films haven't done the legend justice so I will leave those off my favorites list.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2013, 2:40am

Post #30 of 37 (191 views)
Shortcut
Python! Python! Python! [In reply to] Can't Post

Python! Python! Python! Python!

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 7:32am

Post #31 of 37 (172 views)
Shortcut
Haha! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 13 2013, 8:44pm

Post #32 of 37 (169 views)
Shortcut
me either [In reply to] Can't Post

to me, "A Knight's Tale" falls squarely in the "guilty pleasure" category. Ridiculous story, but who cares with all that eye candy?

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2013, 9:05pm

Post #33 of 37 (189 views)
Shortcut
Déjà vu [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And this hippie dancing went on and on and on. I couldn't bear it and found something else to watch. I suspect I will never rewatch Excaliber.

This sounds an awful lot like your Denny's story. You gave Denny's one more chance. Why not Excalibur? You don't even have to leave a tip.Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 13 2013, 11:10pm

Post #34 of 37 (191 views)
Shortcut
as I age, my patience with some things grows... with other things wanes. [In reply to] Can't Post

and I did give Denny's another chance but they mostly blew it.

It's not the sort of thing that makes me second guess myself.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Feb 13 2013, 11:13pm)

Spencissimus
Lorien

Feb 15 2013, 1:24pm

Post #35 of 37 (176 views)
Shortcut
I went with The Sword in the Stone [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly because it was the first interpretation of the Arthur myth that I was exposed to as a young kid. My favourite adaptation of the legend however, is found in a series of books, namely Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles (which would make an absolutely brilliant miniseries, as with all his work...it's a shame the Sharpe books have been the only stoires of his to be adapted).

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 26 2013, 3:15am

Post #36 of 37 (176 views)
Shortcut
Tristan + Isolde (2006) [In reply to] Can't Post

How could we forget this gem with James Franco (before the fall) as Tristan, Sophia Myles as the gorgeous Isolde, Rufus Sewel as King Marke, and featuring Mark Strong and David O'Hara in key roles. The movie features Morholt as well... his arc playing closer to the usual tale than either Tristan, Isolde or Marke's.

Although King Arthur is not in this movie, Tristan and Isolde is usually recognized as part of the set of stories comprising the standard Arthur legend. In Le Morte D'Arthur, and derivative versions, Tristan (Sir Tristram de Lyonese) is considered to be a knight of the Table Round. Actually it is believed that the tale of Tristan and Isolde (in its many forms) pre-dates Arthur legend, and inspired the Lancelot, Guinevere, Arthur love triangle.

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Feb 26 2013, 11:04am

Post #37 of 37 (290 views)
Shortcut
Camelot [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite is the musical version of Camelot. I grew up in a family of theater geeks so I have a fondness for musicals. The songs are great and Richard Harris is an excellent Arthur. Also, it's based on The Once and Future King, which in turn is based on Le Morte D'Arthur, so it syncs up pretty well with the version of the story I'm used to. Many other adaptations feel the need to change things and offer a new spin on the legend. Sometimes that works but more often than not, it just aggravates the purist in me.

Disney's The Sword in the Stone would be a close second, mainly for the wizard's duel with Madam Mim.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.