Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Lawsuit update

VoronwŰ_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 6 2013, 7:01pm

Post #1 of 15 (463 views)
Shortcut
Lawsuit update Can't Post

Here is an update on the situation with the lawsuit filed by the Tolkien Estate and Harper Collins against Saul Zaentz and Company, and Warner Brothers/New Line. Zaentz and WB have responded to the lawsuit by, in addition to denying the allegations, filing counterclaims for declaratory relief and for damages for breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing inherent in all contracts under U.S. law. I have had a chance to review these documents, and I have to say that it appears that they have a pretty compelling case as the issue of online games (perhaps not so much with the slot machine issue). They cite correspondence going back to 1996 in which with Harper Collins and the Estate's attorney concede that Zaentz has the right to online video games based on The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Perhaps most interesting, they cite a September 2010 "regrant" agreement in which the Estate confirms the rights held by Zaentz, and licenced to Warners/New Line. That must be the agreement that was referred to in Entertainment Weekly back in October 2010, in which Jackson was quoted as saying that one of the issues causing the delay was negotiations with the Estate over rights issues. I think it is likely that I will get a chance to see that agreement (as well as the other documentation that Zaentz and Warners say they have) over the course of the lawsuit, if it reaches the point that motions for summary judgment are filed. It is, of course, possibly that Zaentz and WB are misrepresenting the history and that the true facts will support the position of the Estate and Harper Collins, but right now it looks to me like they are on pretty shaky legal grounds.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

elevorn
Lorien

Feb 6 2013, 7:05pm

Post #2 of 15 (272 views)
Shortcut
would this mean anything for further movie production?// [In reply to] Can't Post

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

VoronwŰ_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 6 2013, 7:14pm

Post #3 of 15 (300 views)
Shortcut
No, it shouldn't [In reply to] Can't Post

Unlike the previous lawsuit, the Tolkien Estate plaintiffs are not asserting that they have the right to revoke the grant of film rights previously sold, so this lawsuit will not affect the production of the Hobbit films (or future films based on LotR or The Hobbit); it is purely about what other rights were sold, particularly rights to things like Middle-earth slot machines and online games (such as LOTRO). I suppose it is possible that a continue rancorous litigation could solidify opposition on the part of Estate representatives to selling additional rights to other material (Silmarillion, UT, CoH, etc.). But that opposition is already so strong, that "solidifying" it shouldn't have much effect.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

elevorn
Lorien

Feb 6 2013, 7:36pm

Post #4 of 15 (285 views)
Shortcut
right, none of that would ever be done in Christopher's lifetime anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

"clever hobbits to climb so high!"
Check out my writing www.jdstudios.wordpress.com

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 9:55pm

Post #5 of 15 (368 views)
Shortcut
The Early Adventures of Aragorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really starting to see the possibility of a movie about Aragorn's early years: his early adventures as 'Estel' with the sons of Elrond, his first encounter with Arwen, and his discovery of his heritage leading up to his period of "great journeys and errantries." Just that, alone, could probably be split into two or more films. Aragorn's first encounter at age twenty-five with Gandalf the Grey could end the first film, with his adventures in Rohan, Gondor and other lands to follow.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Feb 7 2013, 1:37am

Post #6 of 15 (239 views)
Shortcut
This is a Wonderful Story [In reply to] Can't Post

Last Spring I taught an Oral Interpretation of Literature class on Tolkien. The last performance was an hour long reading titled "The Saga of Aragorn Arathorn's Son." We took all the materials from all possible places and tied them together to tell all of Aragorn's Story. We had such a wonderful time. Tolkien loved this story and had his own idea bout putting it together.

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 7 2013, 2:48am

Post #7 of 15 (249 views)
Shortcut
I've heard that Disney is thinking of doing this one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Once The Hobbit trilogy is done, I believe the rights to make additional movies will be sold to Disney. I think they are definitely interested in this!

all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us...

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 7 2013, 5:23am

Post #8 of 15 (242 views)
Shortcut
Keep in mind.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Once The Hobbit trilogy is done, I believe the rights to make additional movies will be sold to Disney. I think they are definitely interested in this!

I'm not necessarily advocating or supporting the idea. However, the fact remains that TSZ Co. does possess the rights to produce derivative works from both TH and LotR. This probably is not the worst way that they could go and it could probably be done with respect towards Prof. Tolkien and his original works.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 7 2013, 4:45pm

Post #9 of 15 (191 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't making fun of your post. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just having some fun in general. Smile

Personally, I would very much like for Disney to remain as far away as possible from Middle Earth.

Eowyn3
Rivendell

Feb 7 2013, 4:50pm

Post #10 of 15 (191 views)
Shortcut
Please keep Disney faraway from Tolkien's works [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Disney just fine, and they make good and entertaining movies. However, Disney and Tolkien don't mix.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 7 2013, 4:52pm

Post #11 of 15 (190 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe you. Although, I did think that you were at least giving me a gentle ribbing. I know that some folks despise the idea of spin-off films such as I suggested (often for good reason!).

Kassandros
Rohan

Feb 7 2013, 4:59pm

Post #12 of 15 (183 views)
Shortcut
Just sounded like the Star Wars spinoff films is all. [In reply to] Can't Post

In general, I don't think it'd be a great idea to do such a movie, but I wasn't really trying to mock the idea. Just thought the comparison to the treatmeant of the Star Wars movies was funny.

I would love a Galadriel in the First Age / Silmarillion movie if done well, but, of course, the rights for that are not available. I'm just a bit smitten with Blanchett's Galadriel and would be fascinated to see her take on younger Galadriel. I think Blanchett is ageless enough to pull it off right now, but probably not in five or ten years, so it's kind of a hopeless cause, but I shall still imagine it in my head.

The appendicies material is far more likely since the rights are available, but I'm not too fascinated by the potential stories.

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 1:07am

Post #13 of 15 (165 views)
Shortcut
Could it have any impact on LOTRO? [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTRO is a well-established game now with a very large player base. What bearing does the lawsuit have on it - i.e., what are the estate's goals? To have a share of the financial pie of LOTRO, or to shut the game down, or ? Something else?

S˙limŰ
Rivendell

Feb 8 2013, 2:08am

Post #14 of 15 (149 views)
Shortcut
Interesting idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

I secretly would like to see it, but since most of the material will have to be created by someone rather than Tolkien (and especially if they cannot use anything outside the LotR and Hobbit text), I'm quite dreading how bad it could all turn out

VoronwŰ_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 8 2013, 2:18am

Post #15 of 15 (199 views)
Shortcut
in theory, it definitely could be affected [In reply to] Can't Post

But I really don't know whether they would try to shut it down.

The Hall of Fire

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.