Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
York, UK as Diagon Alley?

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 7:18pm

Post #1 of 11 (277 views)
Shortcut
York, UK as Diagon Alley? Can't Post

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/...005DC-20_634x657.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/...2/20/Diagonalley.jpg

Note the almost identical curved architectural
element on the left side.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Feb 5 2013, 7:19pm)

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2013, 8:41pm

Post #2 of 11 (113 views)
Shortcut
That's Stonegate [In reply to] Can't Post

The Shambles is much more like it. Fairly typical medieval architecture really, there's just not so much of it left anymore.

Storm clouds

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2013, 9:46pm

Post #3 of 11 (125 views)
Shortcut
I see elements of both, I wonder if Rowling or Chris Columbus [In reply to] Can't Post

indicated that these areas of York served as a model for Diagon Alley?

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2013, 12:48am

Post #4 of 11 (133 views)
Shortcut
Wiki claims Cecil court as the inspiration [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ndon_Cecil_Court.jpg

However, I think the York locations are far closer.

"]The DVD of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets includes a video "guided tour" of Diagon Alley, apparently shot on the original film sets. In the first film, the Leaky Cauldron's entrance was filmed in Bull's Head Passage, near Leadenhall Market. In the sixth film, it was inserted into the actual Charing Cross Road, between a book store and a surveyors' storefront, while Diagon Alley's actual location was revealed to be in an alley called Cecil Court located near Leicester Square, which dates back to 1627."

http://en.wikipedia.org/...aces_in_Harry_Potter

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2013, 5:27am

Post #5 of 11 (82 views)
Shortcut
Just to say that I live and study in York :D \o/... I don't think that's where they filmed though... [In reply to] Can't Post

... One thing I -know- they definitely filmed here in York was a short bit in York Railway Station, with characters being on the railway-bridge near platform 9 3/4...

So they -did- film something here yep! Cool

--I'm a victim of Bifurcation--

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2013, 5:48am

Post #6 of 11 (94 views)
Shortcut
some pics I took last year of York :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the streets here in York. Wonderful and medieval. Great atmosphere. Here's some pics I took last year:

Church + Minster
, segment of Wall in setting sunlight, building tops with Minster in distance A nice street (can't remember name sorry), Another.

SmileCool

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2013, 6:49am

Post #7 of 11 (84 views)
Shortcut
In 1992, while my wife was in graduate school, she took the [In reply to] Can't Post

opportunity of a summer session at Cambridge and I joined her for a nice long UK vacation by rail and car. Our first destination was York! We left London by train and traveled up to York where we rented a car. I always wanted to see the Yorkshire Dales. The city itself was a great visit with its preserved historic sections and cathedral. The fun started when I rented the car to leave. I was a bit stressed because I would be "driving on the wrong side of the road" but felt once out of the urban area it would be ok. Getting out of York was an adventure. Everything seemed to go in circles and finding a way out took several trips around. We visited Yorkshire..shot up to Edinburgh, over to Glasgow with a highland drive that was fantastic. The we visited Chester and the Lake District down through Wales...a crazy drive...over to Bath and Stonehenge and then back to London for a few days. Then we went to Ireland for a similar circle drive around the coast.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Feb 7 2013, 6:51am)

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 8:03am

Post #8 of 11 (64 views)
Shortcut
Nice pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

When my sister and I went to York *cough* years ago, I took lots of pictures of the Minster and the walls (loved those walls Laugh), but I didn't get any good ones of the little cobbled streets. BTW, Isn't one of these streets "The Shambles"?

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

zarabia
Grey Havens

Feb 8 2013, 8:07am

Post #9 of 11 (85 views)
Shortcut
York is said to be the most haunted city in the UK, but no one mentioned witches or wizards :P // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2013, 7:06pm

Post #10 of 11 (53 views)
Shortcut
nice!, sounds awesome! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2013, 7:08pm

Post #11 of 11 (157 views)
Shortcut
:D yep, there's The Shambles yep. The most famous street. Very short one though. I go through it pretty often ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.