Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Comments from a non-fan
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 9:53pm

Post #26 of 37 (239 views)
Shortcut
Be quiet [In reply to] Can't Post

Adamire. We don't want them to re-edit it and lie and say there are two purple Wizards. lol

In Reply To
is not legal. That information is not in The Hobbit or LOTR anywhere. It's in Unfinished Tales...which they don't have the rights to.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 6 2013, 11:09pm

Post #27 of 37 (188 views)
Shortcut
Naturally, no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just saying... Wink

There's a sad sort of clanging from the clock in the hall and the bells in the steeple, too.
And up in the nursery an absurd little bird is popping out to say coo-coo (coo-coo, coo-coo).

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 7 2013, 12:19am

Post #28 of 37 (178 views)
Shortcut
lol. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

In Reply To
I'm just saying... Wink

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

glor
Rohan

Feb 7 2013, 1:19am

Post #29 of 37 (182 views)
Shortcut
the weird thing is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Husband knew whom Richard Armitage was and what he had been in, before walking in to see AUJ, I hadn't...not until I had my BIGWIT moment...(on my second viewing, ironically)

Bilbo Is Good, Woah It's Thorin

(This post was edited by glor on Feb 7 2013, 1:19am)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Feb 7 2013, 2:35am

Post #30 of 37 (162 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Though the falling catwalk does "explain" how the dwarves ended up a level similar to Bilbo's.... though it's hard to explain how they all fell way down and then ended up on the top of the mountainside. And no I will not allow an flimsy excuse that they climbed up while off camera.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Gelir
Bree

Feb 7 2013, 4:41am

Post #31 of 37 (143 views)
Shortcut
No sympathy for goblins :) [In reply to] Can't Post

That is why it is interesting. I know that the goblins are evil. The Goblin King was about to torture them (and seems to take pleasure in doing so), so I don't know why I felt that way. I guess it's the fact that they all were 'easy kills' made it feel like they could have gotten out of the way without killing that many.

I think that's just how a lot of movie battle scenes tend to go. There's a bad guy or two who is a very good fighter, but the majority are not so skilled. Maybe that's a weakness with movies, but it never felt to me like the dwarves were killing needlessly. If they had left them standing and tried to sneak by, they probably would have been done for.

If I remember the book correctly, they were only trying to escape and at the end 'took a stand' when needed. The actual fight scene was quite short (with the goblins running away from Beater and Biter)

I also did not like all the unnecessary beheading. Maybe it's just me. I don't mind 'serious' violence, but violence for comedic effects simply does not sit very well with me.

You're exactly right about the book scene. I think it would have been fine to present it that way in the movie as well. I think we agree to the extent that the battle scenes could be shorter. My feeling is just that the goblins, as they were presented on screen, got what was coming to them.

My thoughts exactly! I could have done with more dialogue and humor and less action.

I will say however that I enjoyed the action scenes more on my 3rd and subsequent viewings. My mind tends to wander during long action scenes. The third time I saw the movie, I decided to pay really close attention and try to identify what weapon each dwarf uses and what fighting style each may have. It worked out pretty well (and I learned that Bombur fights with a big spoon!) Ever since then, those scenes seem to fly by and don't feel as drawn out to me as they did at first. I'd still gladly take more dialogue, but am glad I found away to enjoy it as is.

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 7 2013, 4:01pm

Post #32 of 37 (124 views)
Shortcut
He read it :-)?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, you've got yourself a pretty broad-minded kinda' guy there Smile!

And great limerick, btw - thanks for calling it out, I missed a few posts the past few days over on Main, gotta go catch up!

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 7 2013, 4:07pm

Post #33 of 37 (121 views)
Shortcut
BIGWIT! lol! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 7 2013, 8:25pm

Post #34 of 37 (99 views)
Shortcut
Well, I figure he did... [In reply to] Can't Post

since he also posted in that thread.

He knew what he was in for when we got married...

Glad you enjoyed the limericks. :-)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 7 2013, 9:40pm

Post #35 of 37 (100 views)
Shortcut
I used to think [In reply to] Can't Post

that one of the reasons, among many, you two got together was your shared love of limericks. There were some epic threads back in the day. Smile

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Feb 7 2013, 11:01pm

Post #36 of 37 (89 views)
Shortcut
Who wouldn't [In reply to] Can't Post

like a guy who can find umpteen ways to rhyme "Erebor"?

I always thought there was a bit of fate in it, given our nicks, but I won't go there here... Angelic

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 7 2013, 11:04pm

Post #37 of 37 (204 views)
Shortcut
TMI, Ro [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.