Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
UPDATED GEEKY OBSERVATION LIST *puff, pant*
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 6 2013, 8:12pm

Post #51 of 75 (2569 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of those things that I'm sure we all heard but didn't put together! THANKS!

First draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 6 2013, 8:13pm

Post #52 of 75 (2547 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping* [In reply to] Can't Post

WELCOME! WELCOME!

You've just made my whole day :D THANKS! And THANKS to everyone who have helped build this with their awesome attentiveness :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 6 2013, 8:20pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 6 2013, 8:14pm

Post #53 of 75 (2593 views)
Shortcut
*jaw drops* Fantastic!!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 6 2013, 8:16pm

Post #54 of 75 (2582 views)
Shortcut
I wonder where the [In reply to] Can't Post

Rohan Sword came from? The battle where Helm Hammerhand fought?

Thanks MistyMountain :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Feb 6 2013, 9:07pm

Post #55 of 75 (2589 views)
Shortcut
The Goblin King's Throne [In reply to] Can't Post

His throne is made from an old bed, positioned vertically, strapped to a boulder. There is also a hole in the "seat" that leads to a bucket, which doubles as a toilet.

Yes, my username is terrible.

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Feb 6 2013, 11:32pm

Post #56 of 75 (2551 views)
Shortcut
The scene [In reply to] Can't Post

where Thorin yells "Warg scout!" was a callback to TTT where Legolas says the same thing.

"It was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and go before it." ~FotR

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 6 2013, 11:56pm

Post #57 of 75 (2593 views)
Shortcut
wow [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to look for that, like the poop-bucket under the golblin-scribe. Saving it for the soup perhaps?

I love this thread. Smile

...she took the point at once, but she also took the spoons.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 7 2013, 4:09am

Post #58 of 75 (2542 views)
Shortcut
I noticed a very large mound [In reply to] Can't Post

-- shaped like sand in the bottom of an hour glass, as if made by many elements falling from somewhere above -- that appeared to be directly under the Goblin King's platform...

ewwwwe and blech is all I can say.

GothmogTheBalrog
Rivendell

Feb 7 2013, 5:34am

Post #59 of 75 (2536 views)
Shortcut
That's just gross. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad I didn't notice that.

"It was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and go before it." ~FotR

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 7 2013, 8:59pm

Post #60 of 75 (2478 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Second draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - updated list coming soon

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Aragalen the Green
Gondor

Feb 12 2013, 4:06pm

Post #61 of 75 (2461 views)
Shortcut
A couple more geeky observations... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I may have missed the deadline!

Dwarves dinner in Bag End: Ori wipes the plates with his sleeve while setting the table.

Troll cave: a rack in on the wall (on the left when they enter the cave) has body parts stuck on it--I mostly recall a hand sticking out. No wonder it stinks! My hubby also thought he saw a corpse just inside the door when they enter--but he says it wasn't there when they leave. Did anyone catch that?

Thanks again!!

'"Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!" he said to himself, and it became a favourite saying of his later, and passed into a proverb.'

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 12 2013, 9:51pm

Post #62 of 75 (2469 views)
Shortcut
I did! [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed Ori wiping the plates with his sleeve. Ew. When was the last time that cardigan was washed??

And I noticed the hands, but I didn't notice the corpse. Will have to look for that next time!!

malla
Bree

Feb 13 2013, 6:46am

Post #63 of 75 (2511 views)
Shortcut
observations gathered after 50 viewings.... [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, I haven't been here for a bit and I'm tired & it's getting late but I'm going to try to mention a few things. I've enjoyed reading all the lists of observations. Most of them I'd seen myself, but of course there were things that I'd missed & checked out at later viewings. After scanning quickly through this list, I've thought of a few that I don't see. Or some things that I think might need corrections.

Concerning the stuff in Bilbo's chest:

4) String-tied wrapping (Mithril Shirt?)

I don't believe that the string tied wrapping contains the Mithril shirt. It seems to be just papers or a book. There is a golden velvet cloth, that looks like it might be a bag. I think that may contain the Mithril. Velvet seems a better wrapping for Mithril. (just my humbled opinion)

At the old farm house:

271. Even though Thorin told Bombur to start the food, Bofur is tending to the pot of stew.

Thorin tells Bilbo to start the cooking, not Bombur. I think it is his way to distract Bilbo, since he is upset that Gandalf has taken off.

In Rivendale:

390. There are Elven guards on the stairway and atop the tower watching the Company as they come to Rivendell.

Not only are there guards on stairs and tower, but other elves standing and walking around on various porches and balconies.

Goblintown:
Right before the cave floor opens, dumping the company into Goblintown, Bifur is sitting, playing with a toy that looks like sticks with fabric (or something floppy) attached....like a butterfly puppet.

also in Goblintown:

518. The Dwarves toss weapons up in the air and over their heads to each other to arm themselves quickly.

Of all weapons that he could have chosen to arm himself, Bombur picks a large ladle!!!

That's all I can think of now. Need to head to bed...Crazy Hope the Hobbit stays in theaters, just a bit longer...*crosses fingers

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 13 2013, 5:34pm

Post #64 of 75 (2503 views)
Shortcut
It's never too late!! :D No deadlines, EVER! [In reply to] Can't Post

There will come a time when I don't re-search older posts, but I'll be sure to put a note at the end of the thread saying so. It's always OK to pm me with a heads-up if I take too long to respond. My RL is such a nuisance sometimes ;)

Good Catches! I still chuckle every time I see Ori polish the plate as he looks up at Gandalf. It's more hobbity than dwarfy, imho ;)

THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 13 2013, 5:51pm

Post #65 of 75 (2444 views)
Shortcut
WOOHOO!!! 50 Viewings! *high five* [In reply to] Can't Post

That is FANTASTIC, MALLA! :D

I can't WAIT to get my hands (or rather my finger) on a PAUSE button!! You could be right about the Mithril Shirt not being the wrapped item in Bilbo's trunk... and I cracked up at Bombur grabbing a ladel as a weapon! Very appropriate. I mean... frying pans worked for Sam ;)

Thorin tells Bilbo to start dinner? I could have sworn I heard him say something to Bombur about being hungry. WHERE'S THAT PAUSE BUTTON!!

Well Done! I'm so envious AND impressed :D

Keep 'em comin'!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

ryouko
Lorien

Feb 17 2013, 4:32am

Post #66 of 75 (2444 views)
Shortcut
Okay, very late observation [In reply to] Can't Post

After 10 viewings, I only just noticed this:

Of the four Dwarves who bow to Bilbo when he opens the door, Dwalin is the only one who does not take his eyes off of Bilbo. The other three keep their heads down when they bow. But not Dwalin. He bows but doesn't lower his head. That's a soldier for you! Never take your eyes off someone is case they might try to attack. ^_^

Elvanui
Rivendell

Feb 17 2013, 9:35pm

Post #67 of 75 (2420 views)
Shortcut
A couple more from me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Though one is only half-formed and will have to wait on someone else's next viewing or the DVD for confirmation!

First, the flags flying from Erebor's battlements are blue with what looks like a bronze or golden bird - they reminded me of the Ravenclaw crest Blush So maybe a raven? It could be something else entirely though - this is the one that will need checking Smile

Second, when Smaug is smashing at the doors of Erebor trying to get in and Thorin is waiting with his army, you can see a painting of (probably) the Lonely Mountain to the left of the doors. I checked the list and don't think this is there.

Nice spot ryouko!

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2013, 12:30am

Post #68 of 75 (2406 views)
Shortcut
more observations! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I noticed during the escape from goblintown that Kili has lost all his arrows, yet we don't see him shoot any, so I can only assume the goblins took them or they fell out when they fell down the trap door? Also, he is missing his bow as well, since when an archer is using a sword, their bow is usually hooked onto their quiver. As far as the quiver, he still has that.

Also, when Gandalf tells Bilbo, "You'll have a tale or two to tell of your own when you come back." he licks his lower lip at the last part as though he isn't sure himself if Bilbo will come back or not.

And I noticed someone say something about Thrain having an eye patch (or was it Thror?) but I watched very closely last time and I didn't see an eye patch on either person, so is their not one or did I just miss it?

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

malla
Bree

Feb 24 2013, 4:03pm

Post #69 of 75 (2390 views)
Shortcut
now I'm questioning myself [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin tells Bilbo to start dinner? I could have sworn I heard him say something to Bombur about being hungry. WHERE'S THAT PAUSE BUTTON!!

OK...so I've seen it 55 times....but I'm beginning to question myself. Am I hearing what I want to hear?? or hearing what is being said? or....what?

I've tried to even read Thorin's lips, but that doesn't help. I closed my eyes and just listened on the 53rd viewing, and still heard "Bilbo"...but the 55th time...I heard "Bombur"...
Crazy

I talked about this with a friend of mine, whose daughter manages one of the theaters near me (and where I saw the Hobbit about 4 times) and she said that maybe there are several different "prints". I can't see that happening. Not with digital and all. But who knows....maybe I'm not going crazy after all.

Tomorrow....#56....will see what I hear that time.....

or maybe I should forget about it and just chalk it up to old ears playing tricks on me and just sit back and enjoy the movie.....again...Smile

Tenna' ento lye omenta,
Malla

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 24 2013, 4:10pm

Post #70 of 75 (2393 views)
Shortcut
It's definitely Bombur [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin says: "Come on Bombur, we're hungry". Definitely not Bilbo.

And you've seen it 55 times in the cinema? That's fantastic. Sly

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2013, 7:34pm

Post #71 of 75 (2396 views)
Shortcut
more observations 19th viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

So I made some more observations last night and not sure if any of them have been mentioned yet so I apologize for any redundancy:

1. The metal counterbalance on Orcrist (or the end of the handle) has four tiny jewels and what looks like runes on the bottom, but when the eagle is carrying an unconscious Thorin the counterbalance is blank, but as the eagle is setting him down on the Carrock the jewels and runes are back.

2. Fili has two hair clasps, one at the top and one at the base of the braid on the back of his head, but after leaving Goblintown, the braid is gone and the only clasp left is the top one-the bottom one is missing (no doubt the reason for the braid being gone) making the back of his head have the same hairstyle as Kili- just a simple half ponytail in the back.

3. In the troll cave, Orcrist didn't have the metal counterbalance at all-I know it was very dirty, but the end of the hilt was entirely the same color and not too far off of the color of the hilt itself.

4. When the dwarves first enter Rivendell out of the secret passageway, it appears as though Kili leans over and seems to ask Balin something, then Balin responds by sweeping his weapon (staff? mace?) across himself right to left as he uses it to sweep the valley as he replies. I am guessing Kili is asking Balin a question about Rivendell and Balin is answering him-probably a character moment showing that Kili, unlike most of the other dwarves, is more interested in elves than he would care to admit, setting up the whole Tauriel thing in Mirkwood.

5. When old Bilbo is writing his account of his journey at the beginning in his study, there is a jar on the top of his desk that has three pipes in it.

6. There is a bench next to the front porch of old Bilbo's Bag End as well as the one down by the front fence, but 60 years earlier when Bilbo was speaking to Gandalf about "good mornings" that bench isn't there, though the one by the fence is. Probably a reflection of Bilbo getting older-perhaps some days he cannot handle the steps down and so has the bench on the same level as the door?

7. After the dwarves raid Bilbo's pantry, he is shown looking inside it, and (fortunately for Bilbo) the dwarves left some loose pears and apples on the shelves (so it isn't completely bare). Guess Bilbo's supper was apples, pears, and the "riddled with mold" blue cheese! Darn, all that work cooking the fish! Crazy

8. When old Bilbo is smoking on the bench by the front fence, the shrubbery behind him is mostly just green-very few flowers. Whereas, sixty years earlier when the "good morning" conversation happened, the shrubbery was full of blooms and flowers. Great nod to the difference of seasons-Old Bilbo was on September 22 (his birthday) so it was nearing Autumn, whereas young Bilbo was in the Spring.

Like I said, I apologize if these were redundant, but I hadn't noticed them before this viewing. That's why I love this movie so much and have seen it so many times-you notice new things every time! The sheer detail incorporated into this movie is amazing!

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Elvanui
Rivendell

Feb 27 2013, 2:11pm

Post #72 of 75 (2381 views)
Shortcut
Love your number 4! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great - one to look out for next time Smile

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 18 2013, 7:00pm

Post #73 of 75 (2323 views)
Shortcut
We're going to Bomburize it for now :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 18 2013, 7:01pm

Post #74 of 75 (2323 views)
Shortcut
**Double checked :)** // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 18 2013, 7:04pm

Post #75 of 75 (2465 views)
Shortcut
**I've Gathered Geeky List Info from this post :) THANKS ALL! **PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANYMORE OBSERVATIONS FOR THE LIST TO THIS THREAD!** [In reply to] Can't Post

I've made the final gathering of geeky observations for this thread. Please post any additions to the most current Hobbit Movie Board Thread. THANKS MUCHLY!! J
Feel free to respond to posts in these threads, but please add new observations to the most current lists J I'm afraid I'm running out of time to go through all of the threads on a Quest for your very cool contributions! KEEP 'EM COMING!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.